Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2013, 08:07 PM

541 posts, read 919,390 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by flotard View Post
Hey, I am all for it but how do you even compare Manhattan to 8 times smaller downtown Chicago?

The architecture and skylines certainly compare.

NYC is hands down the better city, but when it comes to skyline or architecture, im not sure who comes out on top.

I lean Chicago on the basis that Midtown is just a mass cluster****.

In terms of appearance, balance, size, style, backdrop, etc. its hard to beat Chicago's lakefront skyline view. Then id go with downtown Manhattan, and Midtown last.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:09 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,521,405 times
Quote:
Hey, I am all for it but how do you even compare Manhattan to 8 times smaller downtown Chicago?
I have no idea. How do you compare New York City with all it's five boroughs to most other big cities on this site? Regardless of size, people want to know which one they like better for whatever reason that might be. I personally don't see a comparison at all when you're talking about Manhattan (south of Harlem) to Downtown Chicago (The Loop and River North). I like Manhattan a lot more, it offers much more. The only way I could make it a fair comparison for me would be to break it down between Midtown and Downtown... in which case I would put Midtown Manhattan first, Downtown Chicago second, and Downtown Manhattan third.

If we really are comparing just skylines like IEnjoyBeer keeps mentioning, then, that's a different story. That'd only be one aspect of a "downtown" though.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawfiqmp View Post
I have no idea. How do you compare New York City with all it's five boroughs to most other big cities on this site? Regardless of size, people want to know which one they like better for whatever reason that might be. I personally don't see a comparison at all when you're talking about Manhattan (south of Harlem) to Downtown Chicago (The Loop and River North). I like Manhattan a lot more, it offers much more. The only way I could make it a fair comparison for me would be to break it down between Midtown and Downtown... in which case I would put Midtown Manhattan first, Downtown Chicago second, and Downtown Manhattan third.
Experience wise I would agree, just not visually.

Size vs beauty.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:19 PM

555 posts, read 596,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEnjoyBeer View Post
1. Wrong. Chicago has more people than Brooklyn. 2.7 million to 2.5. Flip it any way you want, facts are facts.
This is old data and while Chicago has been shrinking Brooklyn has been growing..

Quote:
2. In order of importance, Midtown and Downtown Manhattan supercede Downtown Bk, and thats what the OP was referring to. You are obviously a stickler for newer or more modern terms and times, right? So then naturally you would concede that Brooklyn isnt its own city (which you keep mentioning) and in fact part of NYC, right? I cant bring up history, well then, youre just moving goalposts if you can.
In order of importance midtown supersedes anything else in the country including of course Chicago so you already answered op's question. Thank you.

Quote:
I feel like we are a bunch of morons trying to figure out some famous person's last words before he died or something.
The thread is more than likely all of the Manhattan skyline vs. the Chicago skyline. The end.
And this is how I know you are from Chicago. First off you throw a fit and start offending people when the discussion doesn't go your way. Second, you bring up skylines even if the op didn't even mention them in his question. Lol.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:

Have you been to Chicago's downtown? Have you seen anything like for instance soho, lower east, TriBeCa, battery park, little Italy, china town, Wall Street there? How can you rate downtown manhattan below Chicago's downtown???

Last edited by flotard; 07-18-2013 at 08:32 PM..

Old 07-18-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:

If we really are comparing just skylines like IEnjoyBeer keeps mentioning, then, that's a different story. That'd only be one aspect of a "downtown" though.

Exactly. As London and Paris prove it is not big skylines that make big cities. Anyways I was trying to spare Chicago some embarrassment as having its downtown compared to much older, more prominent and 8 times bigger Manhattan is just not fair to Chicago.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
This is old data and while Chicago has been shrinking Brooklyn has been growing..

In order of importance midtown supersedes anything else in the country including of course Chicago so you already answered op's question. Thank you.

And this is how I know you are from Chicago. First off you throw a fit and start offending people when the discussion doesn't go your way. Second, you bring up skylines even if the op didn't even mention them in his question. Lol.

Chicago has been growing.

Chicago's Population Sees Growth for Second Year in a Row - Chicago - DNAinfo.com Chicago

His question? Where does he mention neighborhoods or street scenes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael31681 View Post
i was just curios as to what newyorkers thing is the better looking downtown. i have never been to newyork but i know it has a massive downtown. i have been to chicago and it is also very large and there are many great looking buildings including the new 2000ft spire building currently under construction. im from minneapolis and i think its a good looking downtown but nothing compared to chicago or newyork.

I am not from Chicago. I am interested in moving there.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:33 PM

1,092 posts, read 1,521,405 times
Quote:
Have you been to Chicago's downtown? Have you seen anything like for instance soho, lower east, TriBeCa, battery park, little Italy, china town, Wall Street there? How can you rate downtown manhattan below Chicago's???
Yes, I live in downtown Chicago currently. Downtown Chicago pretty much makes up a lot of what is important to this city. Honestly, it's not about rating it below anything -- it's just a matter of preference of what I feel each offers in terms of night life, scenery, restaurants, etc. I can certainly understand why someone would prefer downtown Manhattan over downtown Chicago. I'm going to be moving to downtown Manhattan next year so I'll get a better idea of how it is as a resident. But having at least seen what both have to offer, that's what I'm basing it on.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM

Quote:
The architecture and skylines certainly compare.

NYC is hands down the better city, but when it comes to skyline or architecture, im not sure who comes out on top.

I lean Chicago on the basis that Midtown is just a mass cluster****.

In terms of appearance, balance, size, style, backdrop, etc. its hard to beat Chicago's lakefront skyline view. Then id go with downtown Manhattan, and Midtown last.
So now you want to compare downtowns based on skylines or specifically a single view ? Lol

Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 PM

flotard, give it up boss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City