Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 08:04 PM

641 posts, read 801,758 times

Advertisements

And no trolling going on. This thread mentions black mecca. I was including the feeling of black utopia in my definition of black mecca. If black mecca means a place holier than thou as it relates to black culture, I'd give it to Atlanta hands down. Dallas/Houston can't compete with that.

As far as political ideology, any black person has a legitimate gripe for not liking Democrats. I'm not saying that this Republican party is ideal for blacks either. But what we have to stop doing as a people is letting Democrats take the vote for granted. What we also have to start doing is holding ourselves accountable. Black lives also matter when it's black on black. Let's not let whites off the hook but let's not half ass the movement.

One party is obviously more pro business. Just so happens that black people need economic power and that is done through business ownership. Think of it as a white major leagues again. You're calling for black ballplayers. I'm calling for black owners.

There was a time when the democratic party was racist and against black progress. What slowly changed that was the fact that we became a strong voting bloc of the party. The same can and will happen with Repubs. They will shape their pro business strategies to benefit us. They can encourage black ownership, DEMS can only encourage good working conditions. When we show we are interested, you'll have a real one of us and not these Sambo Carsons and Herman Caines. I'm something like a black nationalist so my ideas are more in line w/ the republicans. I'm not a republican. I'm an independent. I'd vote for a non sambo republican in a heart beat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
What's the difference between Black Houston and Black DFW to you?
A lot of similarities but what makes it feel different to me is that if you go to the northern burbs, you get a sense that you don't belong. I haven't had any body say anything but it's a different aura from the white ppl there. If you are talking SW Dallas County or SE Tarrant, then it feels cozy there. Also, in Black Dallas you can be in a more segregated black area than in Houston. SW Dallas County to be exact. Cedar Hill,Desoto,Lancaster... predominately black middle class area. Houston seems to diverse to get something like that.

In Houston there were lots of areas where I'd think I'm in the white side of town and I see a ton of black folks and I didn't get that same aura from the non blacks in the different parts of Houston I've been to.

My family stays inside the beltway on the NW side.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:21 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I could have a lot of fun with this, but I'm not taking the bait.
What "bait"? You and another poster shared your feelings about Carson, and I did the same.

He's an advocate of education and personal responsibility. I'm with him on that. He's tired of seeing Black folks not doing the very best they can for themselves. So am I.

BTW, I did some searching, and that slavery comment he allegedly made appears to be fabricated.

Slave Statement : snopes.com

Old 10-18-2015, 08:43 PM

Gunion, there's no point man. You cannot talk about the importance of personal responsibility without sounding like a sambo to most branwashed blk folks. You have to beat the same drum of pointing fingers and blaming others and turn a blind eye to things you can do differently. What kills me is if I point out a legitimate question, "Well, why did Michael Brown rob the store and attack that officer instead of complying" I get looked at side ways. It makes no sense.

I'm stating the obvious. Yes, I agree that the system is flawed in certain circumstances and there needs to be changes. I'll never stop advocating for those changes. But the major change is one we must make. In almost every one of those instances, there is also something we could've done differently:

Mike Brown: Stop being Debo and robbing convenience stores
Sandra Bland: I feel for her. She didn't deserve to get arrested for not putting out a cigarette. But she also could've showed some common decency.
Tamir Rice: A cop is approaching you, drop the real looking gun in your hands.

The only one I can't say anything about is Trayvon Martin. He couldn't have done anything differently. GZ is a murderer. That case was a pure example of everything wrong with the system. How we are perceived when doing absolutely nothing wrong. And how to most americans, this knight and shining armor was trying to protect society from a young black male. SMH. That case pisses me off to this day. And lumping the Michael Brown's of the world in with that one is like salt in the wound.

Now we are advocating personal responsibility and look at the response you get. They've turned it into a game of "They are trying to get me to take the bait." Bait of what? Talking about the importance of taking personal responsibility. Talking about changes that we make are the most powerful changes that can be made. If talking about or focusing on that is "taking bait," I feel sorry for our people

Old 10-18-2015, 09:27 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
A lot of similarities but what makes it feel different to me is that if you go to the northern burbs, you get a sense that you don't belong. I haven't had any body say anything but it's a different aura from the white ppl there.
I live in the Northern part of Dallas so I'm in the Northern suburbs almost every day, and I NEVER "get that sense" or feel unwelcome by white people, or anybody else. Maybe the problem is just in YOUR mind...?

By the way, don't you live in Fort Worth? It feels far whiter in most of Fort Worth than it does in the Northern suburbs of Dallas. So do you feel the same way about Fort Worth?

Old 10-18-2015, 10:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
A lot of similarities but what makes it feel different to me is that if you go to the northern burbs, you get a sense that you don't belong. I haven't had any body say anything but it's a different aura from the white ppl there. If you are talking SW Dallas County or SE Tarrant, then it feels cozy there. Also, in Black Dallas you can be in a more segregated black area than in Houston. SW Dallas County to be exact. Cedar Hill,Desoto,Lancaster... predominately black middle class area. Houston seems to diverse to get something like that.

In Houston there were lots of areas where I'd think I'm in the white side of town and I see a ton of black folks and I didn't get that same aura from the non blacks in the different parts of Houston I've been to.

My family stays inside the beltway on the NW side.
This is what I've been trying to tell people for the longest.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:12 PM

I lived in n fort worth. Moved there from mid cities. B4 that, i lived in skillman/audelia area of n dallas. And you are right. Maybe its how I perceived things. And yes, i feel tht I didn't fit in n fort worth. Nobody said ne thing, it jus felt weird. Its jus missing tht black presence im after. I feel good on the s side of fw though.

Im n s arlington now and def a better fit here. Prob will move to w arlington or lakeridge after closing on a house.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:16 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,772,850 times
Quote:
I lived in n fort worth. Moved there from mid cities. B4 that, i lived in skillman/audelia area of n dallas. And you are right. Maybe its how I perceived things. And yes, i feel tht I didn't fit in n fort worth. Nobody said ne thing, it jus felt weird. Its jus missing tht black presence im after. I feel good on the s side of fw though.

Im n s arlington now and def a better fit here. Prob will move to w arlington or lakeridge after closing on a house.
The NW side of Houston isn't the blackest area of town, but you feel comfortable there. This says a lot about the black feel of Houston.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:20 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,101,420 times
Quote:

Sorry, but I'm confused. You agreed with me several pages back that the best cities for black folks are ones that aren't necessarily majority black like Atlanta but that are diverse and progressive while still having a nice sized black population, yet when you are in a diverse, progressive, non-majority black city and region, you only feel comfortable in majority black neighborhoods around other black people...?

Old 10-19-2015, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Sorry, but I'm confused. You agreed with me several pages back that the best cities for black folks are ones that aren't necessarily majority black like Atlanta but that are diverse and progressive while still having a nice sized black population, yet when you are in a diverse, progressive, non-majority black city and region, you only feel comfortable in majority black neighborhoods around other black people...?
And I still agree with that only b/c of the crippling mentality of a large % of us that makes it undesirable to be in most majority blk areas. It's not just me I have to think of when deciding where to live. Fort Worth doesn't have the black middle class presence I'm seeking. I don't want to be anyones token black guy. With diversity, I would like at least 20% black. If it's majority black, give me an upper class majority black neighborhood to price the lower class out.

Arlington has the diversity. Cedar Hill is predominately black but has the upper class neighborhood of Lake Ridge. Those are better fits for me than N FW. At the end of the day, I'm comfortable with my own peeps especially if they are at least solidly in the middle class and left that hood mentality in the hood.

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

Take a look. N FW is diverse closer to the loop but gets lily white the further you get. What's worst is you are surrounded by the most sheltered and snobby of them in Haslet, Keller, Trophy Club and Southlake areas. The one good thing I can say about it is the housing market is very hot up there. Very desirable school district. From the looks of the northern Dallas burbs on this map, I wouldn't want to live up there either. If schools were good, I'd choose a nice neighborhood in Lewisville or Mesquite. The most diverse place w/ a large black presence in N Dallas seems to be Skillman/Audelia. I've been there and done that during college, that's all lower class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City