Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 03:04 PM

641 posts, read 802,975 times

Advertisements

Facts matter which is why i keep tellin u like it is.

DC is more diverse than Houston?! No its not. But why mention diversity if the city itself isn't that diverse. What!? Did I just contradict myself?

Let it sink it. In fact check the racial dot map. The only reason ppl mention diversity is to insinuate that there is racial tolerance in the city and that you live among different cultures and ethnic groups.

Atlanta and DC are diverse yet segregated cities. There is no huge difference between N Houston Metro and.S Houston Metro as it relates to diversity. With the exception of west side, everything is pretty mixed. Compare that to west dmv and east dmv. Or n atl metro vs s atl metro.

Im not trying to rip on DC. Its a very nice city. I absolutely loved Bowie MD even though it seemed slow and rural. It was the closest thing to black mecca ive ever seen. But Atlanta?! Black mecca with that ratchet mentality!? Yea right. It's a black city w/ a larger % of black elites and millionaires and great media exposure. Once u get past that, u see a very large % of ratchet stereotypical blks that make the rest of us look bad. A smaller % of Blacks in DC perpetuate that ratchet stereotype compared to the ones in atl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 03:15 PM

Houston: 25%blk, 25%white,44% hispanic ( our brown kinfolks down here), 6% asian, the rest other
Dc: 50% blk, 31% white, 9% hispanic, 3% asian the rest other

Houston city: over 2 million pll. Diverse throughout
DC: 650k people, blacks on se side, whites on nw

Old 10-15-2015, 03:57 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,221,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Houston: 25%blk, 25%white,44% hispanic ( our brown kinfolks down here), 6% asian, the rest other

You'll still find a good mix of races and ethnicities living in Northwest East of Rock Creek Park, how are you gonna discredit that? Upper Northwest is largely white though along with Georgetown somewhat.

Northeast is still largely black but some of the neighborhoods closer to North Capitol St and H Street NE have been seeing a influx of different races and ethnicities as well.

Southeast is largely black especially East of the River but you'll also see a mix of people in a couple of the Southside neighborhoods on the other side of the Anacostia River such as Capitol Hill, Navy Yard, and to some extent Kingman Park (Hill East as the real estate/gentry crowd calls it).

Southwest is becoming more mix but it seems like it's still largely black too.

Yes DC is still a largely black city and in my opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and Eye personally prefer the large black presence in The City as well as the metro area in general particularly in the eastern suburbs such as here in PG County. But there's is a good amount of diversity going on in DC right now and it's noticeable everyday and I'm fine with the presence of diversity as well because that also means more another round of interesting dining options, festivities, etc. Just saying that you really shouldn't sell the diversity in DC short and those demographic numbers for The City look slightly dated btw.

These are the more recent 2013 numbers (if any have the 2014 numbers feel free to post them):

White (Includes White Hispanics)~43.4%
Non-Hispanic White~35.8%
Black (Anyone of Afrikan Descent or Afrikan Origin)~49.5%
Asian~3.9%
Native American~0.6%
Other (Those who are of two or more races/ethnicities, mixed ethnic heritage, multiracial, etc.)~2.7%
Hispanic (Of any race and/or ethnicity)~10.1%

The 'Other' category is the only group that saw a decrease from their 2010 census pop number in DC.

That's good for H-Town that it's a heavily diverse city and arguably the most diverse metropolis in the South but at the end of the day, DC's more my kind of city (I'm not a transplant either, Eye was born and raised just across The City line in PG). No diss on Houston but it's all about preferences.

Old 10-15-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The only trash mentality I see here is your own, and you have the unmitigated gall to say "I want a way out" and "a reason to point the finger at anyone else except yourself." I'd bet good money that I'm more educated and further along in life than you, so you should stick to what you know and since you know absolutely NOTHING about me, I suggest you refrain from spouting such foolishness. You can barely type cohesive sentences, so you can have all the seats in MSG.
Ooh. I must've struck a nerve. Why r u so offended? If it doesn't apply to you it doesn't apply. I'd take you up on that bet btw but what's the point. Call me humble but I don't like to boast and brag about my financial success. It makes me appear like an elitist or 30k millionaire. It's also another ratchet characteristic.

I may have been wrong about you but I have to assume the worst of anyone who dismisses lack of self determinism and accountability as a major reason why blacks aren't further ahead than we should be.

I'm passionate about this subject. I'm fine. I want a good percentage of my fellow black people to be fine too. When you reach a certain level of success, you realize that it's lonely. To me, we're as strong as our weakest man. I know We can't save everyone. Ill say it again, the most important thing we can change is ourselves and our perceptions.

Good luck to you brother/sister. I wish you the best. We all want the same end result. Just different means of getting there. I'm X, your mlk.

With the right mentality we can do this without them taking credit. I don't want nor need their help. Social integration was good but that was not a pass to relinquish what businesses and neighborhoods we did control. If you want an example of a real black mecca,, look into Black Wall Street in Tulsa Oklahoma. That was proof of what we are capable of with the right mentality. Instead of our ppl looking at the positive we are focused on "look at the what the white man did to us, we cant have nothing". Then we give up and start begging. No, like the world trade center, we need to rebuild, do it again, and thrive. It can't be done with this ratchet mentality though

Thanks to those who gave rep points. At least some of you understand where I'm coming from.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
You'll still find a good mix of races and ethnicities living in Northwest East of Rock Creek Park, how are you gonna discredit that? Upper Northwest is largely white though along with Georgetown somewhat.

Northeast is still largely black but some of the neighborhoods closer to North Capitol St and H Street NE have been seeing a influx of different races and ethnicities as well.

Southeast is largely black especially East of the River but you'll also see a mix of people in a couple of the Southside neighborhoods on the other side of the Anacostia River such as Capitol Hill, Navy Yard, and to some extent Kingman Park (Hill East as the real estate/gentry crowd calls it).

Southwest is becoming more mix but it seems like it's still largely black too.

Yes DC is still a largely black city and in my opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with that and Eye personally prefer the large black presence in The City as well as the metro area in general particularly in the eastern suburbs such as here in PG County. But there's is a good amount of diversity going on in DC right now and it's noticeable everyday and I'm fine with the presence of diversity as well because that also means more another round of interesting dining options, festivities, etc. Just saying that you really shouldn't sell the diversity in DC short and those demographic numbers for The City look slightly dated btw.

These are the more recent 2013 numbers (if any have the 2014 numbers feel free to post them):

White (Includes White Hispanics)~43.4%
Non-Hispanic White~35.8%
Black (Anyone of Afrikan Descent or Afrikan Origin)~49.5%
Asian~3.9%
Native American~0.6%
Other (Those who are of two or more races/ethnicities, mixed ethnic heritage, multiracial, etc.)~2.7%
Hispanic (Of any race and/or ethnicity)~10.1%

The 'Other' category is the only group that saw a decrease from their 2010 census pop number in DC.

That's good for H-Town that it's a heavily diverse city and arguably the most diverse metropolis in the South but at the end of the day, DC's more my kind of city (I'm not a transplant either, Eye was born and raised just across The City line in PG). No diss on Houston but it's all about preferences.
I love DC. Definitely more so than atl. I was in DC 2x this year. The area around H street was very diverse. I went to a make your own pizza type place. Like subway but pizza. I forgot the name. I also enjoyed U street. I spent a few summers there w my grandmother. She lived in Capitol Heights. I still hv tons of family there. Im a tx transplant too from nc. Moved here as a teenager. Dallas/FW area though. A lot of time spent in H town. Its nice. Dallas is too but Houston's better for blk ppl.

I find ppl in the mid atlantic and ne to be smarter ne ways. Southern republicans are clowns. The rockerfeller republicans ideaology is the ideaology for us. Thats the kind of ideology tht ppl like X or mlk would back.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:26 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,763,589 times
Lets bring in some stats. Ill compare NYC, DC, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta since those have been mentioned throughout the thread:

Basic Demographics by metro area by percentage (source American Fact Finder):

Non-Hispanic White:
Atlanta: 49.0%
DFW: 48.2%
NYC: 47.4%
Washington DC: 46.8%
Houston: 37.8%

Black Alone:
Atlanta: 34.7%
Washington DC: 24.7%
Houston: 18.0%
DFW: 16.4%
NYC: 15.8%

Asian:
NYC: 10.6%
Washington DC: 9.8%
Houston: 7.3%
DFW: 6.0%
Atlanta: 5.5%

Hispanic:
Houston: 36.3%
DFW: 28.2%
NYC: 23.8%
Washington DC: 15.1%
Atlanta: 10.4%

Ranking by racial diversity:
1) Houston
2) Washington DC
3) NYC
4) DFW
5) Atlanta

Immigration per year, total and by region (source 2013 INS):

Total:

New York: 167,393
Washington/Baltimore: 47,769
Houston: 31,953
Dallas: 26,760
Atlanta: 20,054

Immigration from Africa in 2013:

New York: 13,983
Washington/Baltimore: 12,851
Dallas: 3,968
Atlanta: 3,893
Houston: 3,345

Immigration from Asia in 2013:

New York: 62,646
Washington/Baltimore: 19,621
Houston: 11,944
Dallas: 11,150
Atlanta: 8,757

Immigration from Europe:

New York: 16,472
Washington/Baltimore: 3,334
Houston: 1,921
Atlanta: 1,478
Dallas: 1,161

Immigration from Latin America (Mexico, Central, and South America):

New York: 73,141
Houston: 14,544
Dallas: 10,849
Washington DC: 10,642
Atlanta: 5,718

Most multicultural in its population:
1) NYC
2) Washington DC
3) Houston
4) DFW
5) Atlanta

So as to the question of whether or not Houston is more or less diverse than DC, it depends on the definition. DC's population is a lot more international and multicultural (statistically only NYC and LA are ahead of DC in this category), but Houston is more racially balanced.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:00 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:

It's hard to compare the city of Houston to the city of DC. One is 600 sq miles. The other is 68. Yes, DC is more segregated. But if DC was to add 500 sq miles by annexing parts of PG, Montgomery County and a little of Nova, it would be equal to that of Houston today. That's why it's best to do the entire metropolitan area. DC has a large Asian population, larger and more diverse black population, and a slightly more diverse european population.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:03 PM

20,517 posts, read 33,569,529 times
Quote:
I find ppl in the mid atlantic and ne to be smarter ne ways. Southern republicans are clowns. The rockerfeller republicans ideaology is the ideaology for us. Thats the kind of ideology tht ppl like X or mlk would back.
Interesting.

Old 10-15-2015, 08:12 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,221,276 times
Quote:
I love DC. Definitely more so than atl. I was in DC 2x this year. The area around H street was very diverse. I went to a make your own pizza type place. Like subway but pizza. I forgot the name. I also enjoyed U street. I spent a few summers there w my grandmother. She lived in Capitol Heights. I still hv tons of family there. Im a tx transplant too from nc. Moved here as a teenager. Dallas/FW area though. A lot of time spent in H town. Its nice. Dallas is too but Houston's better for blk ppl.

Glad you've been enjoying it up here in the DMV That pizza joint you mentioned, was it by any chance &Pizza?

Last edited by tcave360; 10-15-2015 at 08:20 PM..

Old 10-15-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Lets bring in some stats. Ill compare NYC, DC, Houston, Dallas, and Atlanta since those have been mentioned throughout the thread:

Basic Demographics by metro area by percentage (source American Fact Finder):

Ranking by racial diversity:
1) Houston
2) Washington DC
3) NYC
4) DFW
5) Atlanta

Most multicultural in its population:
1) NYC
2) Washington DC
3) Houston
4) DFW
5) Atlanta

So as to the question of whether or not Houston is more or less diverse than DC, it depends on the definition. DC's population is a lot more international and multicultural (statistically only NYC and LA are ahead of DC in this category), but Houston is more racially balanced.
Thanks for the breakdown!! I'm talking racial diversity. I definitely admit that NY and DC have Houston beat on multiculturalism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's hard to compare the city of Houston to the city of DC. One is 600 sq miles. The other is 68. Yes, DC is more segregated. But if DC was to add 500 sq miles by annexing parts of PG, Montgomery County and a little of Nova, it would be equal to that of Houston today. That's why it's best to do the entire metropolitan area. DC has a large Asian population, larger and more diverse black population, and a slightly more diverse european population.
My original reason for comparing it that way was to show a snapshot of it's segregation. Still if you look at the racial dot map, you will see more intermixing in Houston than DC. Yes H street is diverse. So is montgomery county. In fact, take Silver Spring's diversity and inject it with steroids (7sq miles to 600 sq miles). Replace whites w/ hispanics and hispanics with whites and you basically have Houston TX. I don't consider diversity to be people that live in Chevy Chase going downtown to intermix with people that live in PG County. A little black kid wearing a hoodie and carrying skittles and ice tea could be seen as a threat on the wrong side of that kind of segregation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
It's hard to compare the city of Houston to the city of DC. One is 600 sq miles. The other is 68. Yes, DC is more segregated. But if DC was to add 500 sq miles by annexing parts of PG, Montgomery County a......
I know it's a bad comparison city to city due to Houston's land area being significantly larger. But it's also an unfair comparison metro to metro. DC Metro is 5K sq miles vs Houston's 10K. Let's flip the argument upside down. DC is now the entire DMV. Houston is now Harris County. Let's compare

Washington Metro is 6M people | Land Mass is 5.5K sq miles

48% white, 25% black, 9% asian, 14% Hispanic

Harris County, TX (4.5M ppl | Land Mass 1.7K sq miles

33% white, 26% black, 6% asian, 40% Hispanic

Let me also add: less land mass should make a place more diverse since people don't have room to move around. People in Houston have the room to move around and it's still more racially diverse. If one is a mecca over the other: I'd say its DC. But Houston definitely holds it own.

Last edited by FJB327; 10-15-2015 at 09:05 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City