Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times

Advertisements

BajanYankee provided great stats earlier in this thread, but I'm wondering if he could provide stats on the growth of Blacks with college degrees in each metro from, say, 2006-2012? Cities like Houston and DC experienced tremendous growth among college-educated Millenials in particular (of any race), while cities that were hit hard during the recession like Atlanta and Charlotte didn't show much growth among this group, but I'm wondering what the growth in Black college-educated people, Millenials or otherwise, was for various cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 10:20 AM

574 posts, read 689,823 times
While some of FJB's posts are off the wall, I kind of understand what he is saying. Also, from my personal experience, people that I know are moving to Atlanta and Houston for different reasons. Keep in mind, the people that I know only represent a miniscule amount of the people moving to those areas. Houston is like DC, where blacks (that i know) are moving there for jobs and unlike DC, for the cheap COL. Blacks (who I know) seem to move to Atlanta because it is black, hip, and the low COL. Again, this is based on people I know personally, a small fraction of who is actually moving to those places. I try to warn people that Atlanta is good for professional blacks, business(or potential) business owners, and black entertainers. People expect to go there with no degree and mediocre work history and think they will thrive. Atlanta is like anywhere else, in that you have to work hard to suceed like anywhere else.

I know i went a little off topic but I really like both placez and plan on owning a second residence in one of the two cities. I think they both have criteria to be considered black meccas, such as: HBCUs, large black populations, thriving cities, large amounts of successful blacks, growing black populations, influxes of educated blacks, great black nightlife, good black cuisines etc. Atlanta also has blacks in power positions(don't know much about Houston on this front).

If you're black and have something going for yourself you can make it anywhere, but these two cities take it a step further. Cities and businesses cater to demographics so any place with a sizable middle to upper class black population should do.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:23 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
While some of FJB's posts are off the wall, I kind of understand what he is saying. Also, from my personal experience, people that I know are moving to Atlanta and Houston for different reasons. Keep in mind, the people that I know only represent a miniscule amount of the people moving to those areas. Houston is like DC, where blacks (that i know) are moving there for jobs and unlike DC, for the cheap COL. Blacks (who I know) seem to move to Atlanta because it is black, hip, and the low COL. Again, this is based on people I know personally, a small fraction of who is actually moving to those places. I try to warn people that Atlanta is good for professional blacks, business(or potential) business owners, and black entertainers. People expect to go there with no degree and mediocre work history and think they will thrive. Atlanta is like anywhere else, in that you have to work hard to suceed like anywhere else.

I know i went a little off topic but I really like both placez and plan on owning a second residence in one of the two cities. I think they both have criteria to be considered black meccas, such as: HBCUs, large black populations, thriving cities, large amounts of successful blacks, growing black populations, influxes of educated blacks, great black nightlife, good black cuisines etc. Atlanta also has blacks in power positions(don't know much about Houston on this front).

If you're black and have something going for yourself you can make it anywhere, but these two cities take it a step further. Cities and businesses cater to demographics so any place with a sizable middle to upper class black population should do.
Which two citites: Houston/Atlanta? Houston/DC? DC/Atlanta?

Old 10-19-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Which two citites: Houston/Atlanta? Houston/DC? DC/Atlanta?
All three, but I was referring to Atlanta and Houston since they were being compared the most.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 AM

Quote:
All three, but I was referring to Atlanta and Houston since they were being compared the most.
Thanks for the clear up. So when you said that Houston and Atlanta take it a step further, what did you mean? Some people don't think Houston is on the same level as Atlanta.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:39 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:

Great post.

And yeah, I understood what he was TRYING to say at first (I actually agreed with it), but that point has long since been lost.

Thanks for clearing his point up for him (lol).

Old 10-19-2015, 10:52 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,551,374 times
Quote:
I'm not going to comment on Black DFW. Ask Spade. *shade*
Ask me what. And what are you talking about with Shade? Thought only females use that word.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the clear up. So when you said that Houston and Atlanta take it a step further, what did you mean? Some people don't think Houston is on the same level as Atlanta.
Atlanta provides the superior black experience and Houston is black with an international flavor. It depends on what one is looking for.

Being a black professional in either city is simply better than being one up here in the Twin cities. The black population up here isn't large to being with, and many are immigrants from Africa or lower income blacks who migrated here to better their situations. So say if one is a black professional up here and is in to hip hop, certain types to theatre, any kind of women but with a preference of educated black women, enjoys all cuisines but was raised on black(which tends to be southern influenced) food, your options are limited here. Houston and Atlanta has all those things in abundance and that's what I meant by "take it a step further", although Atlanta might have slightly more. I just like the balance of both areas, where there are many blacks as well as many people of other races.

Old 10-19-2015, 11:01 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Ask me what. And what are you talking about with Shade? Thought only females use that word.
Hahaha!!! I was thinking that. I see guys on these boards use questionable terms like that all the time, though. Maybe it's just an internet/C-D thing?

Old 10-19-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
No. The word is a unisex word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City