Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 02:24 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Okay, it's relevant. This thread is about a "Black Mecca" or "Black Utopia." We may disagree about means of getting there but we all want the same thing at the end of the day. Another thing, I'm anti democrat because they've taken our votes for granted. I'm not pro republican. We can use them as pawns to achieve a greater good.

Don't be a bully. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what I'm trying to say. I'm advocating for us to focus on personal responsibility & group economics while we simultaneously address the symptoms of institutionalized racism. Not completely ignore one while we focus on the other.

I agree. I've admitted that Atlanta is a great city.

Dallas is a great place for black people. I wouldn't consider it black mecca. And i think it lacks something to give it a feeling of utopia. There's a lot of negative views held towards the southern burbs from the northern burbs. What Dallas can brag about is it is the only county in Texas to have a Black District Attorney. Dallas also has a black police chief, black county commissioner and had a black mayor. I think it's in a better position than Houston to emulate PG County. Hit me up when you get here if you want suggestions about good diverse spots, predominately black spots, or lgbt spots.

Good post. I think the difference is in the way whites perceive blacks in each metro. In Houston, to me, it seems they are more tolerable. There is no way to measure this, it's just how I perceive things. I really think it's b/c that metro is more diverse. Like you said, Houston has more but smaller pockets. Whites around those smaller pockets are forced to interact with the blacks in these smaller pockets. These black people are like ambassadors and shut down negative stereotypes that whites may have had about black people. As you said, in DFW, its fewer but larger pockets. A white person can be in the northern burbs or in ne or n tarrant county and hardly ever interact with a black person. Those whites perception of blacks are likely more distorted by what they see on the media compared to the ones in Houston. Just a theory of mine.

I want Black Utopia just like the rest of you guys. Not just for me but for everyone in every city around america. It's not hard to understand me. I believe quasi black nationalism is the way. That takes personal responsibility and unity. Books like Powernomics by Claud Anderson should be sacred to black folks. This is one of the best ways I've heard it explained and by the most influential person I've ever heard:

Malcolm X on importance of group economics and business ownership:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UtGPZY4Rr4

Malcolm X on black Democrats being political chumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgA2rUAY-o

And no that one about black Democrats isn't advocating being a loyal Republican. It's about using the power of your voting bloc to get what out of these power hungry politicians seeking to get elected. If we took his advice, our vote wouldn't be getting taken for granted.
Right, you're gonna find tons of blacks everywhere in Houston because of the way the metro is set up. You can even find a large number shopping and dining out in The Woodlands. There are always a bunch down at the beaches in Galveston. It's almost impossible to go anywhere in Houston without seeing a bunch of blacks. AND I don't have to explain myself to anyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 02:30 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
More predominately Black census tracts with a median household income above the state figure. Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA(state figure: $63,907 (09-13 info), metro: $59,293(08-12): Census Tract 010304 in Hampton City County, Virginia

Census Tract 075101 in Suffolk City County, Virginia

Census Tract 213104 in Portsmouth City County, Virginia

Census Tract 020903 in Chesapeake City County, Virginia

There are some that are predominately Black, but just miss the state figure/just over the metro figure and a lot of tracts in the 20-just under 50% range that are over the state figure. So, some census block groups within these tracts may fit the predominately Black/above state median household income figure. Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News Metro Area - USA.comâ„¢

Radio stations: http://whov.hamptonu.edu/

Hot91Online

92.1 The Beat - Hampton Roads Throwback Hip-Hop And R&B!

Homepage - 957 Rnb

103 JAMZ - Norfolk's #1 for Hip-Hop and R&B

STAR 1310 AM

joy-1270-wtjz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGPL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGAI

HBCU's: http://www.hamptonu.edu

https://www.nsu.edu
I don't remember if I already did this VA metro area, but here it goes. Richmond(state figure above, metro figure: $58,577(08-12): Census Tract 200904 in Henrico County, Virginia

There are quite a few tracts that are very close to the criteria that may be just under the state, but around or over the metro figure that are predominately/pluralistically more Black. They will have census block groups that fit the criteria though within them. Most are found on the Northside/just North/NE of the city of Richmond, SW of the city in Chesterfield County and around Petersburg/Fort Lee. Some tracts are in that 20-45% Black range that fit the state figure in the area as well. Richmond Metro Area - USA.comâ„¢

More info: Home - Virginia State University

https://www.vuu.edu/

iPower 92.1 | Richmond, Hip Hop, Rap, Radio, WCDX

99.3-105.7 Kiss FM

106.5 The Beat - Richmond's #1 For Hip Hop and R&B

Praise 104.7 | PraiseRichmond.com

WCLM Radio Online

Rejoice 1540 - Third Homepage

Faith Radio Worldwide

WVST - Virginia State University

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-19-2015 at 03:28 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 02:32 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,755,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Right, you're gonna find tons of blacks everywhere in Houston because of the way the metro is set up. You can even find a large number shopping and dining out in The Woodlands. There are always a bunch down at the beaches in Galveston. It's almost impossible to go anywhere in Houston without seeing a bunch of blacks. AND I don't have to explain myself to anyone!
You dont have to, but it invalidates your arguement since you cant back it up or even explain it.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't remember if I already did this VA metro area, but here it goes. Richmond(state figure above, metro figure: $58,577(08-12): Census Tract 200904 in Henrico County, Virginia

There are quite a few tracts that are very close to the criteria that may be just under the state, but around or over the metro figure that are predominately/pluralistically more Black. They will have census block groups that fit the criteria though within them. Most are found on the Northside/just North/NE of the city of Richmond, SW of the city in Chesterfield County and around Petersburg/Fort Lee. Some tracts are in that 20-45% Black range that fit the state figure in the area as well.

More info: Home - Virginia State University

https://www.vuu.edu/

iPower 92.1 | Richmond, Hip Hop, Rap, Radio, WCDX

99.3-105.7 Kiss FM

106.5 The Beat - Richmond's #1 For Hip Hop and R&B

Praise 104.7 | PraiseRichmond.com

WCLM Radio Online

Rejoice 1540 - Third Homepage

Faith Radio Worldwide

WVST - Virginia State University
Richmond is a sleeper!

I didn't realize that Richmond had that many black people. It's blacker than metro DC.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:37 PM

Hampton Roads is no slouch either. It has two or more HCBUs and large black population too.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:14 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,561,459 times
Quote:
No, not at all, amd it really wouldn't have mattered anyway.
of course it wouldn't.

Old 10-19-2015, 03:31 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Richmond is a sleeper!

I didn't realize that Richmond had that many black people. It's blacker than metro DC.
Yeah Richmond is pretty Black; it played a significant role in the slave trade and was home to a notable, prosperous Black community back in the day (Jackson Ward). Also the first elected Black governor in the U.S. is from Richmond, L. Douglas Wilder and the metro area has two HBCUs. I think Richmond is pretty underrated overall for a smaller metro.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Yeah Richmond is pretty Black; it played a significant role in the slave trade and was home to a notable, prosperous Black community back in the day (Jackson Ward). Also the first elected Black governor in the U.S. is from Richmond, L. Douglas Wilder and the metro area has two HBCUs. I think Richmond is pretty underrated overall for a smaller metro.
I'm surprised that it's blacker than Birmingham.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Yup and both Richmond and the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area are about an hour and a half to 2 hours from each other. So, you are talking about 2 metros with well over 1 million people and that are about a third black. Both are essentially as black as the Atlanta metro area. So, yes both are very much slept on.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-19-2015 at 06:33 PM..

Old 10-19-2015, 06:24 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
I wouldn't have guessed that on its face, but yep it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City