Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2015, 12:08 PM

3,744 posts, read 4,786,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
New development typically raises property taxes in the area; this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. That's like saying building new houses on open lots in working-class residential neighborhoods has no ripple effects.

At any rate, there's more than enough evidence to demonstrate that gentrification has been happening in established residential areas in Atlanta for over a decade now, and coupled with organic growth, the city is becoming even Whiter. For all intents and purposes, Atlanta and DC and several other cities in the country are in the same boat here.
If you say so. In Atlanta outside of Midtown it's more of organic growth generally speaking because some neighborhoods are becoming more diverse but it's not being completely taken over. It might once every parking lot from Magic City to 19th St and in AS is gone and that's not happening anytime soon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2015, 12:45 PM

641 posts, read 802,296 times
IMHO, gentrification shouldn't really affect a true black mecca. Like afdinatl said, gentrification is replacing lower income people with middle/upper class people. If an area is a true black mecca, shouldn't low class blacks just be replaced by middle/upper class blacks? Or are there a shortage of middle/upper class blacks in these black meccas to replace these people?

If black mecca means majority black:

A true black mecca can't really exist until blacks as a whole put energy and focus into changing the destructive mentality affecting a large % of our people.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
IMHO, gentrification shouldn't really affect a true black mecca. Like afdinatl said, gentrification is replacing lower income people with middle/upper class people. If an area is a true black mecca, shouldn't low class blacks just be replaced by middle/upper class blacks? Or are there a shortage of middle/upper class blacks in these black meccas to replace these people?

A true black mecca can't really exist until blacks as a whole put energy and focus into changing the destructive mentality affecting a large % of our people.
You shouldn't even commit if you don't even know what black mecca means smh

Old 10-18-2015, 01:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:

Dude there are only so many Black people in America to go around. We just don't have the numbers to be the only group gentrifying major cities like that.

Old 10-18-2015, 01:34 PM

6,639 posts, read 4,576,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i pulled these datasets from american fact finder and took the largest 64 metros in the country.
they are listed in order by (city,state,black population,total population,black percentage):

i organized them by region (cities ranked lower than 16 were moved to another region)
here are the links to the survey; i will start the 2nd round in 1 week (sunday):
east:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8G7F5TR

south:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8GP9XQW

midwest:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8BXVR26

west:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8HV5WTW
results:
east:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-C7VMW5KC/

south:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-86GSR5KC/

midwest:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-NN2CR5KC/

west:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/results/SM-Y8WXFKP2/

round 2:
right bracket:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XCKDP7Y

left bracket:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/XJ8Z3XC

Old 10-18-2015, 02:03 PM

641 posts, read 802,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post

You shouldn't even commit if you don't even know what black mecca means smh
Okay, I'll rephrase:

I'll give the title of "Black Mecca" to Atlanta. No city can challenge that. Not DC, not NY, not Houston, not Chicago, not Detroit

It's definitely no black utopia though. Bowie, MD is the closest thing I've experienced to a black utopia. If you are a black professional that likes being around other classy black professionals, I'd rank Atlanta behind DC and Houston.

I was recently in ATL for a week w/ other guys from TX. I'm a TX transplant from NC, another guy from NYC, the rest from TX (Hou and Dal). We couldn't wait to get back to TX. We all concluded that Dallas, TX was better (more of a utopia) than ATL. The only reason was the high proportion of ratchetness we experienced (blacks who lacked class) in ATL. I really wanted that place to work out and maybe it's our fault since we didn't know where to go to find what we wanted. I was ready to give up on ATL until I had a very nice experience the last night. It started as a day party with a beard theme and turned into a grown and sexy type of place. It was real classy and seemed to be predominately middle to upper middle class folks. That event was what I thought Atlanta would be the entire time. I still overheard a ratchet black female complaining about how uppity the place was while she was rolling a blunt. Minutes later, she smoked it and the employees didn't seem to care. SMH

Yea ratchetness is all over the country. But the ratio seemed higher in ATL. I may subconsciously be knocking points off for all the gayness I saw there too. I couldn't knock DC on lack of class. It's there but you can be away from it easily in a place like Bowie, MD. Yes, I love Bowie, MD. Closest thing to Utopia i've ever seen

So sorry for mistaking Mecca with Utopia. You're right, Atlanta is Black Mecca. Congrats

Old 10-18-2015, 02:31 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,104,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjb327 View Post
okay, i'll rephrase:

I'll give the title of "black mecca" to atlanta. No city can challenge that. Not dc, not ny, not houston, not chicago, not detroit

it's definitely no black utopia though. Bowie, md is the closest thing i've experienced to a black utopia. If you are a black professional that likes being around other classy black professionals, i'd rank atlanta behind dc and houston.

I was recently in atl for a week w/ other guys from tx. I'm a tx transplant from nc, another guy from nyc, the rest from tx (hou and dal). We couldn't wait to get back to tx. We all concluded that dallas, tx was better (more of a utopia) than atl. The only reason was the high proportion of ratchetness we experienced (blacks who lacked class) in atl. I really wanted that place to work out and maybe it's our fault since we didn't know where to go to find what we wanted. I was ready to give up on atl until i had a very nice experience the last night. It started as a day party with a beard theme and turned into a grown and sexy type of place. It was real classy and seemed to be predominately middle to upper middle class folks. That event was what i thought atlanta would be the entire time. I still overheard a ratchet black female complaining about how uppity the place was while she was rolling a blunt. Minutes later, she smoked it and the employees didn't seem to care. Smh

yea ratchetness is all over the country. But the ratio seemed higher in atl. I may subconsciously be knocking points off for all the gayness i saw there too. I couldn't knock dc on lack of class. It's there but you can be away from it easily in a place like bowie, md. Yes, i love bowie, md. Closest thing to utopia i've ever seen

so sorry for mistaking mecca with utopia. You're right, atlanta is black mecca. Congrats
lol.......

Old 10-18-2015, 02:45 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Yea ratchetness is all over the country. But the ratio seemed higher in ATL. I may subconsciously be knocking points off for all the gayness I saw there too. I couldn't knock DC on lack of class. It's there but you can be away from it easily in a place like Bowie, MD. Yes, I love Bowie, MD. Closest thing to Utopia i've ever seen
Great...all we need is more Black folks reinforcing the "Black people are homophobic" stereotype. It says a lot that you'd "knock points" off a place for being welcoming enough to accept a segment of our population that has been doubly discriminated against.

Newsflash: there are gay Black professionals in the world, including your beloved Bowie and the DMV as a whole. Too bad they aren't included in your Black Republican utopian ideal.

Old 10-18-2015, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Okay, I'll rephrase:

I'll give the title of "Black Mecca" to Atlanta. No city can challenge that. Not DC, not NY, not Houston, not Chicago, not Detroit

It's definitely no black utopia though. Bowie, MD is the closest thing I've experienced to a black utopia. If you are a black professional that likes being around other classy black professionals, I'd rank Atlanta behind DC and Houston.

I was recently in ATL for a week w/ other guys from TX. I'm a TX transplant from NC, another guy from NYC, the rest from TX (Hou and Dal). We couldn't wait to get back to TX. We all concluded that Dallas, TX was better (more of a utopia) than ATL. The only reason was the high proportion of ratchetness we experienced (blacks who lacked class) in ATL. I really wanted that place to work out and maybe it's our fault since we didn't know where to go to find what we wanted. I was ready to give up on ATL until I had a very nice experience the last night. It started as a day party with a beard theme and turned into a grown and sexy type of place. It was real classy and seemed to be predominately middle to upper middle class folks. That event was what I thought Atlanta would be the entire time. I still overheard a ratchet black female complaining about how uppity the place was while she was rolling a blunt. Minutes later, she smoked it and the employees didn't seem to care. SMH

So sorry for mistaking Mecca with Utopia. You're right, Atlanta is Black Mecca. Congrats
You are making stuff up.

To prove you wrong what is the name of the venues you went to and on what day did you go to them?

What week did you come to Atlanta?

Last edited by afdinatl; 10-18-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 10-18-2015, 03:31 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,791,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Great...all we need is more Black folks reinforcing the "Black people are homophobic" stereotype. It says a lot that you'd "knock points" off a place for being welcoming enough to accept a segment of our population that has been doubly discriminated against.

Newsflash: there are gay Black professionals in the world, including your beloved Bowie and the DMV as a whole. Too bad they aren't included in your Black Republican utopian ideal.
Being a bit put off by an excessively visible gay culture doesn't necessarily make someone homophobic. It rubbed me the wrong way as well, but I do not hate or fear people who identify as gay. I just prefer an environment where such lifestyles remain more discreet and tactful. I got tired of grown men trying to make eyes with me along with other suggestive gestures in an effort to get me to run off and engage in reckless activity with them and probably five other dudes.

"Gay Atlanta" is tacky. That's just my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City