Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-15-2015, 09:15 PM

641 posts, read 802,805 times

Advertisements

I don't believe there's a true black mecca honestly. If there was one, it wld go to the upper class areas of PG County. We will never have a mecca as a majority with so many having that horrible victim mentality.

I'd like to see a city w/ at least 15% black. With the black students having low pregnancy rates, low dropout rates, high graduation rates and the adult blacks having low unemployment, low incarceration, high % of college degrees, high home ownership and a larger than normal middle class.

I'd also like to see cities ranked (% wise) by blacks who make at least 60K per year as a household income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcave360 View Post
Glad you've been enjoying it up here in the DMV That pizza joint you mentioned, was it by any chance &Pizza?
Yea... that was it! And people were nice there... definitely could tell gentrification was going on. I hope we keep a large presence in DC but it seems they are moving everyone out to PG county...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 10:44 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,565,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post

I know it's a bad comparison city to city due to Houston's land area being significantly larger. But it's also an unfair comparison metro to metro. DC Metro is 5K sq miles vs Houston's 10K. Let's flip the argument upside down. DC is now the entire DMV. Houston is now Harris County. Let's compare

Washington Metro is 6M people | Land Mass is 5.5K sq miles

48% white, 25% black, 9% asian, 14% Hispanic

Harris County, TX (4.5M ppl | Land Mass 1.7K sq miles

33% white, 26% black, 6% asian, 40% Hispanic

Let me also add: less land mass should make a place more diverse since people don't have room to move around. People in Houston have the room to move around and it's still more racially diverse. If one is a mecca over the other: I'd say its DC. But Houston definitely holds it own.
Well that depends on what method you want to use. When discussing MSA, yes Houston is at 10k but much of that 10k is uninhabited swamp. Harris County alone is 1700 sq miles but only half of that is built up. The rest is swamp, wetlands, prairie, and forest. Many of the other surrounding counties are even more uninhabited. Which leads me to Urban Area. DC is 1,321 sq miles. Houston is 1,660 sq miles. This was as of 2010 but I don't think much has changed and that's certainly not a significant difference either. I didn't say DC overwhelms Houston in diversity. I just said slightly. Ethnically though, DC is more diverse.

Old 10-15-2015, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Well that depends on what method you want to use. When discussing MSA, yes Houston is at 10k but much of that 10k is uninhabited swamp. Harris County alone is 1700 sq miles but only half of that is built up. The rest is swamp, wetlands, prairie, and forest. Many of the other surrounding counties are even more uninhabited. Which leads me to Urban Area. DC is 1,321 sq miles. Houston is 1,660 sq miles. This was as of 2010 but I don't think much has changed and that's certainly not a significant difference either. I didn't say DC overwhelms Houston in diversity. I just said slightly. Ethnically though, DC is more diverse.
nice catch! So is that urban area dc metro 1321 and urban area houston metro 1660 or urban area harris county 1660.. 10k sq miles trimmed down to 1660 is a huge difference

And I'm not debating you.. I agree DC is slightly more diverse.

I just see diversity differently. some say Dallas/FW is a diverse metro but it's segregated. If you walk in some parts of it, you get a feeling that you don't belong. I just dont get that vibe in H-Town. No matter where you go, non blacks won't be surprised that you're around.

Now if you want a PG County or ATL knockoff in TX that has a lot of middle class blacks in a more segregated area of a diverse metro,,, I'd advise you to move to southwest Dallas County instead of Houston. Houston really doesn't have an answer for that. Blacks have political power there. No economic power. No culture. They're all just bedroom communities but the right mentality can turn it into a mecca.

If you want diversity how I define it in Dallas, it wld be in Arlington, TX, Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill or Mesquite. Good mix of people and everyone living amongst everyone in those cities

Old 10-15-2015, 11:29 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times
Quote:
It's hard to compare the city of Houston to the city of DC. One is 600 sq miles. The other is 68. Yes, DC is more segregated. But if DC was to add 500 sq miles by annexing parts of PG, Montgomery County and a little of Nova, it would be equal to that of Houston today. That's why it's best to do the entire metropolitan area. DC has a large Asian population, larger and more diverse black population, and a slightly more diverse european population.
But folks can compare Fulton County to Harris County? I'm so done with y'all.

Old 10-16-2015, 12:17 AM

6,208 posts, read 9,219,896 times
Quote:
I don't believe there's a true black mecca honestly. If there was one, it wld go to the upper class areas of PG County. We will never have a mecca as a majority with so many having that horrible victim mentality.

I'd like to see a city w/ at least 15% black. With the black students having low pregnancy rates, low dropout rates, high graduation rates and the adult blacks having low unemployment, low incarceration, high % of college degrees, high home ownership and a larger than normal middle class.

I'd also like to see cities ranked (% wise) by blacks who make at least 60K per year as a household income.

Yea... that was it! And people were nice there... definitely could tell gentrification was going on. I hope we keep a large presence in DC but it seems they are moving everyone out to PG county...
Yeah Eye went to their U Street location near the Metro station across the street from Ben's Chili Bowl. Their pizza was LIKE THAT!!! My order was the Moonstruck, OMG....Wouldn't recommend it to people who aren't too keen on anything sweet but damn that was some awesome pizza! And I'm confident that DC will still be covered with the Melanin but only time will tell. Btw, other local pizza chains that you might like are Matchbox and Ledo's (it's original store is up in Adelphi here in PG County). There's also Bolis, but it's better to consume it while you're hella turnt lol.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:16 AM

Quote:
nice catch! So is that urban area dc metro 1321 and urban area houston metro 1660 or urban area harris county 1660.. 10k sq miles trimmed down to 1660 is a huge difference

And I'm not debating you.. I agree DC is slightly more diverse.

I just see diversity differently. some say Dallas/FW is a diverse metro but it's segregated. If you walk in some parts of it, you get a feeling that you don't belong. I just dont get that vibe in H-Town. No matter where you go, non blacks won't be surprised that you're around.

Now if you want a PG County or ATL knockoff in TX that has a lot of middle class blacks in a more segregated area of a diverse metro,,, I'd advise you to move to southwest Dallas County instead of Houston. Houston really doesn't have an answer for that. Blacks have political power there. No economic power. No culture. They're all just bedroom communities but the right mentality can turn it into a mecca.

If you want diversity how I define it in Dallas, it wld be in Arlington, TX, Grand Prairie, Cedar Hill or Mesquite. Good mix of people and everyone living amongst everyone in those cities
Both are the entire urban areas. It's basically a consistent set uniform density.

Old 10-16-2015, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
But folks can compare Fulton County to Harris County? I'm so done with y'all.
What are you talking about? You have a strange obsession over Atlanta.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:04 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,792,548 times
Quote:
What are you talking about? You have a strange obsession over Atlanta.
Not at all.

The population/percentage of blacks in Harris County was compared to the population/percentage of blacks in Fulton County and in Prince Georges County by BajanYankee and others, but the city of Houston can't be compared to the city of Washington, D.C. as far as demographics when FJB327 was comparing the two.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:21 AM

93,417 posts, read 124,120,588 times
More predominately Black census tracts with a median household income above the state figure. Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of VA(state figure: $63,907 (09-13 info), metro: $59,293(08-12): Census Tract 010304 in Hampton City County, Virginia

Census Tract 075101 in Suffolk City County, Virginia

Census Tract 213104 in Portsmouth City County, Virginia

Census Tract 020903 in Chesapeake City County, Virginia

There are some that are predominately Black, but just miss the state figure/just over the metro figure and a lot of tracts in the 20-just under 50% range that are over the state figure. So, some census block groups within these tracts may fit the predominately Black/above state median household income figure. Virginia Beach, Norfolk, Newport News Metro Area - USA.com™

Radio stations: http://whov.hamptonu.edu/

Hot91Online

92.1 The Beat - Hampton Roads Throwback Hip-Hop And R&B!

Homepage - 957 Rnb

103 JAMZ - Norfolk's #1 for Hip-Hop and R&B

STAR 1310 AM

joy-1270-wtjz

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGPL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGAI

HBCU's: http://www.hamptonu.edu

https://www.nsu.edu

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-16-2015 at 08:41 AM..

Old 10-17-2015, 10:20 AM

Different strokes for different folks. Your idea of Black Mecca may differ from mine just like your idea of paradise may be Lake Tahoe vs my idea of a beach house with an amazing view of the ocean.

I think it's too large of a % of us that have a victim/entitlement mentality. In my mind, that makes having a black mecca impossible.

I don't want "blame game" political strategies to extract the idea of self-determinism from the minds of the people. A lot of blacks simply dismiss self determinism as a major factor in our plight. So until we figure it out, give me diversity! Give me a metro in which it has a high raw number of blacks and a very large %. Give me a metro in which diversity actually means a city with tons of diverse neighborhoods so we can be evenly spread out across the entire metro instead of segregated on one side of it. Give me a metro that has a diverse political ideology to match the diverse population. Give me a place where enjoying black culture is something done out in the open and not in the dark. Give me a minority-majority so those w/ power (whites) know to act accordingly b/c they are minorities now.

Houston TX fits the bill
-Over 1 million blacks
-25% of the population
-2 HBCUs
-Beautiful women (especially if you are in to Latin or light skin sisters)
-Blacks (25% of Houston) and Hispanics (45% of Houston). For the most part, it's a great relationship.
Something like a coalition and these two groups get along peacefully.
-blacks are evenly spread out through H-Town The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.
-It has a 50/50 political ideology in a pro business state

(yes 50/50 political ideology and H-Town is 25% white so those 50% voting for Republicans aren't racist, backwood, confederate flag waving republicans. They are pro business, likely libertarians)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City