Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2015, 10:32 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,767,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Your idea of Black Mecca may differ from mine just like your idea of paradise may be Lake Tahoe vs my idea of a beach house with an amazing view of the ocean.

I think it's too large of a % of us that have a victim/entitlement mentality. In my mind, that makes having a black mecca impossible.

I don't want "blame game" political strategies to extract the idea of self-determinism from the minds of the people. A lot of blacks simply dismiss self determinism as a major factor in our plight. So until we figure it out, give me diversity! Give me a metro in which it has a high raw number of blacks and a very large %. Give me a metro in which diversity actually means a city with tons of diverse neighborhoods so we can be evenly spread out across the entire metro instead of segregated on one side of it. Give me a metro that has a diverse political ideology to match the diverse population. Give me a place where enjoying black culture is something done out in the open and not in the dark. Give me a minority-majority so those w/ power (whites) know to act accordingly b/c they are minorities now.

Houston TX fits the bill
-Over 1 million blacks
-25% of the population
-2 HBCUs
-Beautiful women (especially if you are in to Latin or light skin sisters)
-Blacks (25% of Houston) and Hispanics (45% of Houston). For the most part, it's a great relationship.
Something like a coalition and these two groups get along peacefully.
-blacks are evenly spread out through H-Town The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.
-It has a 50/50 political ideology in a pro business state

(yes 50/50 political ideology and H-Town is 25% white so those 50% voting for Republicans aren't racist, backwood, confederate flag waving republicans. They are pro business, likely libertarians)
Thanks for this!

I've been trying to tell people that blacks in Houston are distributed evenly throughout the whole metro; you will not be in an area of Houston where you won't see any blacks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 05:49 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
Different strokes for different folks. Your idea of Black Mecca may differ from mine just like your idea of paradise may be Lake Tahoe vs my idea of a beach house with an amazing view of the ocean.

I think it's too large of a % of us that have a victim/entitlement mentality. In my mind, that makes having a black mecca impossible.

I don't want "blame game" political strategies to extract the idea of self-determinism from the minds of the people. A lot of blacks simply dismiss self determinism as a major factor in our plight. So until we figure it out, give me diversity! Give me a metro in which it has a high raw number of blacks and a very large %. Give me a metro in which diversity actually means a city with tons of diverse neighborhoods so we can be evenly spread out across the entire metro instead of segregated on one side of it. Give me a metro that has a diverse political ideology to match the diverse population. Give me a place where enjoying black culture is something done out in the open and not in the dark. Give me a minority-majority so those w/ power (whites) know to act accordingly b/c they are minorities now.

Houston TX fits the bill
-Over 1 million blacks
-25% of the population
-2 HBCUs
-Beautiful women (especially if you are in to Latin or light skin sisters)
-Blacks (25% of Houston) and Hispanics (45% of Houston). For the most part, it's a great relationship.
Something like a coalition and these two groups get along peacefully.
-blacks are evenly spread out through H-Town The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.
-It has a 50/50 political ideology in a pro business state

(yes 50/50 political ideology and H-Town is 25% white so those 50% voting for Republicans aren't racist, backwood, confederate flag waving republicans. They are pro business, likely libertarians)
petermonjello has said that Houston is more libertarian than anything.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:31 AM

3,744 posts, read 4,782,572 times
From Chocolate City to Latte City: Being black in the new D.C. By*Petula DvorakOctober 15 at 10:28 PM*It made news a few years back when we learned that Chocolate City, as majority-black Washington had long been known, wasn’t so chocolate anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...cf9_story.html

Old 10-18-2015, 08:38 AM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afdinatl View Post
From Chocolate City to Latte City: Being black in the new D.C. By*Petula DvorakOctober 15 at 10:28 PM*It made news a few years back when we learned that Chocolate City, as majority-black Washington had long been known, wasn’t so chocolate anymore.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...cf9_story.html
Isn't the same thing occurring in Atlanta as well? This is occurring in cities from Portland OR in its NE Side to Charleston SC. Areas of cities are "pricing" people out.

Old 10-18-2015, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Isn't the same thing occurring in Atlanta as well? This is occurring in cities from Portland OR in its NE Side to Charleston SC. Areas of cities are "pricing" people out.
Not really. With Atlanta we still have plenty of parking lots in our urban core waiting to be developed. There are plenty of new high rises being built now in Midtown but there is still plenty of parking lots available to build on. Plus most of our new high rises are in North Midtown. North Midtown still has a ways to go b4 it's completely built up. Then you have South Midtown from North Ave to 10th St which still has plenty of parking lots waiting for development. Then after Midtown is complete we have have plenty of parking lots in Downtown that are waiting for development. The areas that are being developed in Atlanta are areas that are abandoned. Before real gentrification can happen in ATL every parking lot in the inner core must be developed with no room left to develop intown. It's happening now but we still got a long ways to go. I wouldn't say it's pricing people out because for every high rise being built there is an apartment complex 10 mins from downtown that is not expensive

With DC it's already built up. The inner core is completely ddeveloped and they can't build up high because of the height restrictions so DC is forced gentrify SE DC because there isn't any room left

Old 10-18-2015, 11:02 AM

93,171 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Not really. With Atlanta we still have plenty of parking lots in our urban core waiting to be developed. There are plenty of new high rises being built now in Midtown but there is still plenty of parking lots available to build on. Plus most of our new high rises are in North Midtown. North Midtown still has a ways to go b4 it's completely built up. Then you have South Midtown from North Ave to 10th St which still has plenty of parking lots waiting for development. Then after Midtown is complete we have have plenty of parking lots in Downtown that are waiting for development. The areas that are being developed in Atlanta are areas that are abandoned. Before real gentrification can happen in ATL every parking lot in the inner core must be developed with no room left to develop intown. It's happening now but we still got a long ways to go. I wouldn't say it's pricing people out because for every high rise being built there is an apartment complex 10 mins from downtown that is not expensive

With DC it's already built up. The inner core is completely ddeveloped and they can't build up high because of the height restrictions so DC is forced gentrify SE DC because there isn't any room left
Demographics have changed in Atlanta as well, but what may be happening is that development has been invested in particular neighborhoods, while others have seen minimal investment. This in turn can be an aspect of why concentrated poverty exists.

US2010

Atlanta (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Old 10-18-2015, 11:04 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:

The development dynamic may not be quite the same, but Atlanta is most certainly experiencing a big gentrification wave also and has been for at least a decade now; this is well-documented: Atlanta Gentrification Maps and Data

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...gentrification

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/na...anted=all&_r=0

The Double-edged Sword of Gentrification in Atlanta

And we all know that it's not exactly a ton of Black folks taking up residence in all these shiny new Midtown developments. Sure there are some, but the new residents are majority White.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:29 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
This is what the distribution of black residents looks like in Houston:

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Go to Houston and click on the map that shows distribution of African Americans.

What you will find is that blacks are more integrated in Houston than most metro areas, however, any notion that they are evenly distributed throughout the area or that they are represented in all parts of Houston is blatantly false.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The development dynamic may not be quite the same, but Atlanta is most certainly experiencing a big gentrification wave also and has been for at least a decade now; this is well-documented: Atlanta Gentrification Maps and Data

http://clatl.com/freshloaf/archives/...gentrification

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/11/na...anted=all&_r=0

The Double-edged Sword of Gentrification in Atlanta

And we all know that it's not exactly a ton of Black folks taking up residence in all these shiny new Midtown developments. Sure there are some, but the new residents are majority White.
Gentrification is when poor people are forced to leave an area to be replaced by people earning more income. No one is being forced to leave Midtown because they are building on open parking lots. There is a difference between gentrification and organic growth.

Old 10-18-2015, 11:58 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Gentrification is when poor people are forced to leave an area to be replaced by people earning more income. No one is being forced to leave Midtown because they are building on open parking lots. There is a difference between gentrification and organic growth.
New development typically raises property taxes in the area; this stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum. That's like saying building new houses on open lots in working-class residential neighborhoods has no ripple effects.

At any rate, there's more than enough evidence to demonstrate that gentrification has been happening in established residential areas in Atlanta for over a decade now, and coupled with organic growth, the city is becoming even Whiter. For all intents and purposes, Atlanta and DC and several other cities in the country are in the same boat here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City