Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-19-2015, 12:41 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Well, I've visited before. Thanks.
Did you visit with an open mind and looking to see everything the city and metro have to offer in general, or did you go into the visit with a, "Let me see how many different ways I can compare Dallas unfavorably for Blacks with Houston, so I can try to use it in my arguments on City-Data later," type of mentality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 01:19 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
Did you visit with an open mind and looking to see everything the city and metro have to offer in general, or did you go into the visit with a, "Let me see how many different ways I can compare Dallas unfavorably for Blacks with Houston, so I can try to use it in my arguments on City-Data later," type of mentality?
No, not at all, amd it really wouldn't have mattered anyway.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:50 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,747,031 times
Quote:
No, not at all, amd it really wouldn't have mattered anyway.
Im genuinely having trouble understanding parts of the arguement. I know weve had a spat, but please try to help me understand where youre coming from:

You said in a previous post that DFW is too white. DFW, as a metro area is 48% white. By comparrison, Greater Atlanta is 49% white, and your home state of Alabama is 66% white.

Does that mean Atlanta and Alabama are also too white or perhaps you mean not black enough since Atlanta and Alabama are around 1/3 black? DFW is more diverse than Atlanta and Alabama isnt diverse at all so its diversity is a non-issue.

Which brings us to the Houston/Dallas comparrison. Greater Houston is 18% black, DFW is 16.5% black (including African natives which ironically DFW has a lot more of, African-Americans, and black mixed with one other race). Is 1.5% that drastic to the point where what one completely outdoes the other?

Perhaps its that younger, more social, nightlife oriented, black people prefer Houston over Dallas? Perhaps the more family oriented blacks are the ones choosing DFW? That may be the case. I have no data to back it up one way or the other. But Houston and DFW attractive black people from other areas at almost exactly the same pace. You arent seeing any significant difference of number of black people moving to Houston over Dallas. Some years, DFW gets more new black residents and some years Houston does. Atlanta of course is a different story since it gets far more than anywhere else nationwide.

Perhaps its integration youre talking about? Statistically Houston has more, but smaller pockets throughout the metro area while DFW has fewer, but larger pockets of African Americans throughout the metro area. Houston is more integrated than DFW and (especially) Atlanta, but any notion that blacks are evenly spread or even highly represented around all areas of Houston simply isnt true. That statement isnt true anywhere in the world outside of Africa itself.

Please help me understand the arguement.

Old 10-19-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Im genuinely having trouble understanding parts of the arguement. I know weve had a spat, but please try to help me understand where youre coming from:

You said in a previous post that DFW is too white. DFW, as a metro area is 48% white. By comparrison, Greater Atlanta is 49% white, and your home state of Alabama is 66% white.

Does that mean Atlanta and Alabama are also too white or perhaps you mean not black enough since Atlanta and Alabama are around 1/3 black? DFW is more diverse than Atlanta and Alabama isnt diverse at all so its diversity is a non-issue.

Which brings us to the Houston/Dallas comparrison. Greater Houston is 18% black, DFW is 16.5% black (including African natives which ironically DFW has a lot more of, African-Americans, and black mixed with one other race). Is 1.5% that drastic to the point where what one completely outdoes the other?

Perhaps its that younger, more social, nightlife oriented, black people prefer Houston over Dallas? Perhaps the more family oriented blacks are the ones choosing DFW? That may be the case. I have no data to back it up one way or the other. But Houston and DFW attractive black people from other areas at almost exactly the same pace. You arent seeing any significant difference of number of black people moving to Houston over Dallas. Some years, DFW gets more new black residents and some years Houston does. Atlanta of course is a different story since it gets far more than anywhere else nationwide.

Perhaps its integration youre talking about? Statistically Houston has more, but smaller pockets throughout the metro area while DFW has fewer, but larger pockets of African Americans throughout the metro area. Houston is more integrated than DFW and (especially) Atlanta, but any notion that blacks are evenly spread or even highly represented around all areas of Houston simply isnt true. That statement isnt true anywhere in the world outside of Africa itself.

I thought you left?

Old 10-19-2015, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I thought you left?
For that point in the conversation, I did.

Are you going to help me understand your arguement or not?

Old 10-19-2015, 01:59 PM

Quote:
For that point in the conversation, I did.

Are you going to help me understand your arguement or not?
I'd rather argue with someone else.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
I'd rather argue with someone else.
In other words, your just dodging the questions because you dont have a solid reason for them. Gotcha.

Otherwise, youd help me understand where your coming from.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Thanks for posting this.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The Twin Cities seems to be an interesting case. No it's not as Black as Atlanta, DC, NYC, Houston, Dallas, etc., but I know Southern-born Black folks who have moved there and absolutely love it and it has also produced some notable Black musical artists, most notably Prince and Mint Condition. So it somewhat piques my interest on that front.
I would think that the Twin Cities would have an influx of Chicago and Milwaukee black natives.

Old 10-19-2015, 02:17 PM

641 posts, read 802,115 times
Quote:
I don't know why you came into the thread talking POLITICS anyway!!! YOU are the one who got the thread off track in the first place with all your pro-Republican and anti-Democrat rhetoric...
Okay, it's relevant. This thread is about a "Black Mecca" or "Black Utopia." We may disagree about means of getting there but we all want the same thing at the end of the day. Another thing, I'm anti democrat because they've taken our votes for granted. I'm not pro republican. We can use them as pawns to achieve a greater good.

Quote:
Great post.

And yeah, I understood what he was TRYING to say at first (I actually agreed with it), but that point has long since been lost.

Thanks for clearing his point up for him (lol).
Don't be a bully. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out what I'm trying to say. I'm advocating for us to focus on personal responsibility & group economics while we simultaneously address the symptoms of institutionalized racism. Not completely ignore one while we focus on the other.

Quote:
I like this post.

I'm just impressed everyday that in Houston you can be black all day long but can step be amongst diversity; blacks here can literally have our cakes and eat them too.

I think you would do great here or in Atlanta.
I agree. I've admitted that Atlanta is a great city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Dallas looks like it's doing its thing. I'll be there for work next week so I'll get to experience a bit of what it offers firsthand on that front.
Dallas is a great place for black people. I wouldn't consider it black mecca. And i think it lacks something to give it a feeling of utopia. There's a lot of negative views held towards the southern burbs from the northern burbs. What Dallas can brag about is it is the only county in Texas to have a Black District Attorney. Dallas also has a black police chief, black county commissioner and had a black mayor. I think it's in a better position than Houston to emulate PG County. Hit me up when you get here if you want suggestions about good diverse spots, predominately black spots, or lgbt spots.

Quote:

Good post. I think the difference is in the way whites perceive blacks in each metro. In Houston, to me, it seems they are more tolerable. There is no way to measure this, it's just how I perceive things. I really think it's b/c that metro is more diverse. Like you said, Houston has more but smaller pockets. Whites around those smaller pockets are forced to interact with the blacks in these smaller pockets. These black people are like ambassadors and shut down negative stereotypes that whites may have had about black people. As you said, in DFW, its fewer but larger pockets. A white person can be in the far northern burbs or in ne or n tarrant county and hardly ever interact with a black person. They can be sheltered and those whites perception of blacks are likely more distorted by what they see on the media compared to the ones in Houston. Just a theory of mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Ambitious View Post
While some of FJB's posts are off the wall, I kind of understand what he is saying.......
I want Black Utopia just like the rest of you guys. Not just for me but for everyone in every city around america. It's not hard to understand me. I believe quasi black nationalism is the way. That can only be achieved by focusing on personal responsibility and unity. Books like Powernomics by Claud Anderson should be sacred to black folks. The following is one of the best ways I've heard it explained and by the most influential person I've ever heard:

Malcolm X on importance of group economics and business ownership:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UtGPZY4Rr4

Malcolm X on black Democrats being political chumps:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkgA2rUAY-o

And no that one about black Democrats isn't advocating being a loyal Republican. It's about using the power of your voting bloc to get what out of these power hungry politicians seeking to get elected. If we took his advice, our vote wouldn't be getting taken for granted.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City