Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 07:23 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,783,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Here's a census tract within the city: Census Tract 012305 in Jefferson County, Alabama

3 of the 5 census block groups within that tract are predominately Black and have a median household income above the state figure($43,253 09-13 info) as well. Census Block Group 012305-1 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Census Block Group 012305-2 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Census Block Group 012305-4 in Jefferson County, Alabama

Here's the other census tract in the city: Census Tract 012304 in Jefferson County, Alabama

This nearby community is 82% Black and has a Black median household income about 3k over the state figure: Midfield, AL - USA.comâ„¢
Midfield (city) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
Midfield, AL Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢
Alabama QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau
This website is very helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 07:38 AM

93,387 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
This website is very helpful!
Definitely and if you know what to look for, it can help in terms of finding neighborhoods that have what you are looking for.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:39 AM

492 posts, read 1,027,797 times
Quote:
Yup and both Richmond and the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area are about an hour and a half to 2 hours from each other. So, you are talking about 2 metros with well over 1 million people and that are about a third black. Both are essentially as black as the Atlanta metro area. So, yes both are very much slept on.

Many people not familiar with Virginia are surprised by how 'black' it is when they go to visit. We have no major cities that are as notorious as Chicago, Detroit, NYC and the like so Washington DC is the first thing to pop into most people's minds when you mention Virginia. Most aren't even aware that many iconic figures have come out of Virginia. (A lot of popular music artists and athletes such as Iverson, Vick, Plexico, Percy Harvin, Lawrence Taylor, Russel Wison, Kam Chancellor, Gabby Douglas, Timbaland, Missy Elliot, Pharrell, Clipse, Trey Songz, Chris Brown, etc.).... and were talking about a small land area and population here compared to your larger metros.

I think that's why I love Atlanta so much because it reminds me of Tidewater/Hampton Roads/Richmond with its large black population, just with more to do and a more diverse economy. Virginia overall is very much a police state and can make you feel like you're in jail or a prisoner/slave at times. Seriously. But its a great place to raise a family though.

Tidewater more specifically is a very blue collar metro so 'Brain Drain' is a big problem. Most of your well off blacks there will have careers in the military/DoD, city government, or the health care industry. Outside of that its mostly low paying service jobs (retail, call centers, shipyard laborer, etc.) and very little white collar jobs. And with the good ol' boy network being a very real thing in Virginia, its hard to obtain a decent paying job unless you know someone and are connected. You have to leave the area as I did to make your degree worth while. Majority of our educated black professionals will move to the larger metros (DC, ATL, NYC) for greater opportunity, thus maintaining the status quo of the area.

Atlanta can seriously be considered to be the black mecca for American blacks at the least. Every single time I step out, no matter which part of the metro, I meet black people (and some of the prettiest black women) from every little corner of the country. I love that. Its like every city is represented in large numbers here. So many people from NYC, DC, Detroit, NO, Memphis, VA, Cali, Chicago, etc.... and we haven't even began to talk about the international flavor.

Old 10-21-2015, 12:15 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
So is DeSoto Dallas's version of PG/Dekalb? Affluent African-Americans Flock to DeSoto | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth

Old 10-21-2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm sure it's the area that's around DeSoto as well that's Dallas's version of PG/DeKalb.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:22 PM

93,387 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It is a part of the Best Southwest, that was mentioned earlier in the thread. So, I'd say that whole area is Dallas's version of PG/DeKalb/SE Queens, etc.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:49 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,751,740 times
Quote:
It is a part of the Best Southwest, that was mentioned earlier in the thread. So, I'd say that whole area is Dallas's version of PG/DeKalb/SE Queens, etc.
The real creme de la creme of the Best Southwest is Cedar Hill. Beautiful homes among the hills and lakes and its over 60% black last I checked.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
SE Queens? I'm glad NYC is included, but I didn't know Queens was a "mecca" or "utopia."

Old 10-21-2015, 03:02 PM

8,486 posts, read 15,002,372 times
Quote:
SE Queens? I'm glad NYC is included, but I didn't know Queens was a "mecca" or "utopia."
For most of the 20th century it was. It was one of the first areas in the NYC area where middle class Black folks could purchase a home. Many of those folks are still there, but it has fallen on hard times since it is one of the nexus points for the Second Great Migration. Middle class folks are streaming out of Queens down to Atlanta, North Carolina, and Northern VA like mad and have been for a few decades now.

Old 10-21-2015, 03:05 PM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/11814147-post42.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City