Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2015, 09:03 PM

163 posts, read 156,081 times

Advertisements

Dekalb County in a nutshell- north of Hwy 78 predominantly white and upper middle class and wealthy. South of Hwy 78 majority black and lots of not so nice apartments along with working class and middle class neighborhoods with some upscale neighborhoods sprinkled in. I lived in the county for about 5 or 6 years in the 90's in some of those apartments and they were getting rough then (Hairston Rd. and Memorial)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 01:46 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,898,066 times
I know I asked about "sleeper" areas in regards to the topic, but are there any sleeper cities/towns/neighborhoods/concentrations out there? I thought about Bloomfield and adjacent parts of Windsor in CT, but what about other potential areas?

Bloomfield/Windsor info: Census Tract 473700 in Hartford County, Connecticut

Census Tract 471300 in Hartford County, Connecticut

Census Tract 471500 in Hartford County, Connecticut

Census Tract 473100 in Hartford County, Connecticut

Census Tract 471100 in Hartford County, Connecticut

Connecticut's median household income is just over $69,000, with the Black figure for Bloomfield being a little over $66,000 and a little over $75,000 for Black households in Windsor. Both have quite a few Black residents with Caribbean roots, if I'm not mistaken. Windsor School District Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
Windsor School District Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Bloomfield School District Population and Races - USA.comâ„¢
Bloomfield School District Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 10-22-2015 at 01:57 PM..

Old 10-24-2015, 04:48 PM

Here are some predominately Black census tracts with a median household income above the state figure for the NJ portion of the NYC metro(NJ's median household income is $71,629 (09-13 info) and the NYC metro figure is $65,791(08-12 info): Census Tract 019600 in Essex County, New Jersey

Census Tract 039700 in Union County, New Jersey

Census Tract 054100 in Bergen County, New Jersey

Census Tract 807800 in Monmouth County, New Jersey

There are a lot of tracts that are in the 20-just under 50% Black range that are above the state median household income and will have predominately/pluralistically more Black census block groups that fit the criteria. You also have some predominately/pluralistically more Black tracts that are just under the state figure for median household income.

Old 10-24-2015, 07:03 PM

More predominately Black census tracts above the state median household income figure. New Orleans(Louisiana figure is $44,874 (09-13 info) and for the metro it is $47,429 (08-12 info): Census Tract 000606 in Orleans County, Louisiana

Census Tract 001747 in Orleans County, Louisiana

Census Tract 025001 in Jefferson County, Louisiana

Census Tract 027805 in Jefferson County, Louisiana

Census Tract 027812 in Jefferson County, Louisiana

Census Tract 002503 in Orleans County, Louisiana

Census Tract 002504 in Orleans County, Louisiana

Census Tract 002401 in Orleans County, Louisiana

Census Tract 003302 in Orleans County, Louisiana

Census Tract 062700 in Saint Charles County, Louisiana

Census Tract 070200 in St John The Baptist County, Louisiana

Census Tract 070500 in St John The Baptist County, Louisiana

Census Tract 012300 in Orleans County, Louisiana

Census Tract 027810 in Jefferson County, Louisiana

Census Tract 027811 in Jefferson County, Louisiana

Again, there are many in that 20-just under 50% range that fit the median income criteria and some predominately/pluralistically more Black tracts that were just under the median income criteria.

More information: dillard.edu

Xavier University of Louisiana

WWOZ New Orleans 90.7 FM : New Orleans' Jazz & Heritage Station : Dedicated to Bringing New Orleans Music to the Universe

Q93 - New Orleans Hip Hop and R&B Station

WNOZ 95.3

98.5 WYLD - New Orleans R&B and Back in the Day Jams

Cumulus | KKND-FM

Cumulus | KMEZ-FM

Amen 940 - New Orleans | We're WYLD for Jesus!

Old 10-25-2015, 09:49 PM

14 posts, read 19,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GATXM&M View Post
Dekalb County in a nutshell- north of Hwy 78 predominantly white and upper middle class and wealthy. South of Hwy 78 majority black and lots of not so nice apartments along with working class and middle class neighborhoods with some upscale neighborhoods sprinkled in. I lived in the county for about 5 or 6 years in the 90's in some of those apartments and they were getting rough then (Hairston Rd. and Memorial)
I've lived in both areas of Dekalb currently I live in Brookhaven and I wouldn't say it's predominantly white upperclass. There are bunches of high crime hispanic areas mixed in with the mansions that people of all races live in. Especially towards buford highway and Clairmont. There are crappy apartments right at the edge of Downtown Brookhaven.

Now if you were talking about North Fulton (Roswell, Alpharetta, Kohns Creek) then I'd be inclined to agree but not North dekalb. Tucker, Lakeside, and Chamblee will probably be 90% black within the next decade. I rarely see whites in the area and they are north of 78.

I grew up in Stone Mountain and there aren't any apartment complexes in the area I resided in. Theres Green Ridge, Carriage Trace, Southland, Waters Edge, plenty of country clubs and mansions and I kid you not growing up in the area I never saw a single white person.

Memorial drive had a lot of apartments but it's a good 15mn away from where we stayed. While in Brookhaven run down apartments are a block away.

Most of the political power is in the black area of Dekalb , for privacy I won't say which neighborhoods but there are a couple of black neighborhoods where a ton of Dekalb officials reside. Which is one reason whiter areas are fighting to break off from the county. White people won't dare live anywhere that blacks have political control because they think we're inferior.

I hate the stereotype that white areas are rich and safe and black areas are poor and Crime ridden. Not true, I'm a black person who grew up in a black neighborhood where everyone was college educated, made six figures, and bought their teens luxury cars for their 16th birthdays.

Where do all of the poor white people live? It's like people forget they even exist. Is no one trying to fix poor white communities? I've always wondered this.

Never been to the hood and my first time living around white people was in college. I went to an SEC school and when I said I grew up in a black neighborhood they automatically assumed I meant a poor neighborhood even though I drove a car nicer then what their parents where driving and lived in a larger home. This assumptiom used to drive me crazy.

I didn't realize how poorly Black Americans were thought of, I just thought of myself as human. But now I realize no matter how much money black people will still be looked down on. Atlanta is an escape from the constant reminder because here I'm just a person.

Homes in the black neighborhood in Dekalb County I grew up in:

Last edited by lightofurlife; 10-25-2015 at 10:01 PM..

Old 10-26-2015, 11:21 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,554 times
I say education, history, political power, entertainment and income.

Atlanta is a prime example of a black Mecca

Old 10-26-2015, 12:02 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,774,364 times
I still say DC is the better example.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:43 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I still say DC is the better example.
They're in the same tier with DC having the edge socioeconomically, and I still put NYC in that tier for sheer numbers; that's the metro where there seems to be some disagreement as to its standing and understandably so since it seems to be losing American-born Blacks.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
They're in the same tier with DC having the edge socioeconomically, and I still put NYC in that tier for sheer numbers; that's the metro where there seems to be some disagreement as to its standing and understandably so since it seems to be losing American-born Blacks.
I also wonder if it is a matter of if/went Black immigrants assimilate, if they just change the dynamics of what a "Black mecca" is? Even with DC, you also have quite a few African immigrants there in parts of the metro area and the same with Houston. So, when do they become a part of the narrative or are they already?

As for a lesser known/"sleeper" community, this may be another fit: Hillcrest, NY - USA.comâ„¢
Hillcrest, NY Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢

Old 10-26-2015, 02:34 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I also wonder if it is a matter of if/went Black immigrants assimilate, if they just change the dynamics of what a "Black mecca" is? Even with DC, you also have quite a few African immigrants there in parts of the metro area and the same with Houston. So, when do they become a part of the narrative or are they already?

As for a lesser known/"sleeper" community, this may be another fit: Hillcrest, NY - USA.comâ„¢
Hillcrest, NY Income and Careers - USA.comâ„¢
Good question. I think they do statistically count, but culturally there may be something of a disconnect present, particularly among first-generation immigrants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City