Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2016, 07:28 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post

No, I would put New Orleans, Detroit, Philly, NYC, Bmore over Houston if you look at the definition of black mecca. Yes I know Detroit and Bmore have crime problems/etc but according to the definition of black mecca Houston isnt in the top 5. Again we need to stop making up personal definitions of black mecca. The poster above posted the definition of black mecca. In order to be a black mecca you have to have an undisputed leading role in ALL of the qualifications listed above for at least 20 years.

Only two cities fit the definition of black mecca. Once you get below the #2 spot it shifts from "black mecca" to cities that are good for blacks. Cities that are good for blacks may have 2-4 out of the 6 qualifications listed above. I wish people would stop trying to make cities out to be different than what they are.

Black Mecca List

1. ATL/DC
2. DC/ATL
3. NYC
4. Detroit/Chicago
5. Chicago/Detroit
6. New Orleans
7. Philly
8. Baltimore
9. Memphis
10. Houston/Charlotte/Dallas

Yes I know several of these cities have a decreasing black population, has high crime stats, etc but I'm strictly talking about black mecca and what the definition of what a black mecca is. Its no way that Houston beats out Detroit or Chicago for the top 5 position. Those cities plus New Orleans, Philly, etc have made enough contributions to be on this list. Just because black people are moving to these "new cities" doesnt make them a black mecca. You have to have at least 20 years in the game at the #1 or #2 position at all those categories to be considered a black mecca. With the #10 list this is for up and coming cities. Like I said in order to have the black mecca label you have to have at least 20+ years of undisputed at #1 or #2 positions.
There is no universally agreed upon definition of the term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2016, 07:37 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
There is no universally agreed upon definition of the term.
True but the average person can agree that these are great qualifications to determine what cities fall where.

It's like saying there is no universal agreed opinion that MJ is the best basketball player in the world. Some people may say Kobe or some people might say Magic so we have to look at stats to include their number of championships, the influence they had, number of points, etc so it isnt universally agreed upon but the average person that would want to rank the best NBA players would use these qualifications to determine the best player. A guideline has to be set or else we will have people saying that Derrick Rose is the best NBA player of all time. Sure people have a right to say that but that is what qualifications are set.

There isnt an universally agreed upon answer to the best beach in Florida but once you have a set criteria to determine this to include the number of annual visitors, number of hotels, number of restaurants/clubs/etc the answer is South Beach. Sure its not universally agreed upon because some people might want to go to a beach that isnt that crowded but overall with the criteria of what is the best beach in Florida is the average person would say South Beach.

I welcome you are anyone else to come up with a better list. If its better we can use your list instead. If not then this is the agreed upon list.

Last edited by fieldm; 02-15-2016 at 07:57 PM..

Old 02-15-2016, 08:13 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Doesn't matter to me. But most black people today that is choosing to relocate today would choose to live in Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte over most of those cities between 4-9. Memphis over Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte. Ok... And to add that 20 years thing is pretty wonderfully arbitrary IMO.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:34 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:

No, I would put New Orleans, Detroit, Philly, NYC, Bmore over Houston if you look at the definition of black mecca. Yes I know Detroit and Bmore have crime problems/etc but according to the definition of black mecca Houston isnt in the top 5. Again we need to stop making up personal definitions of black mecca. The poster above posted the definition of black mecca. In order to be a black mecca you have to have an undisputed leading role in ALL of the qualifications listed above for at least 20 years.

Only two cities fit the definition of black mecca. Once you get below the #2 spot it shifts from "black mecca" to cities that are good for blacks. Cities that are good for blacks may have 2-4 out of the 6 qualifications listed above. I wish people would stop trying to make cities out to be different than what they are.

Black Mecca List

1. ATL/DC
2. DC/ATL
3. NYC
4. Detroit/Chicago
5. Chicago/Detroit
6. New Orleans
7. Philly
8. Baltimore
9. Memphis

Yes I know several of these cities have a decreasing black population, has high crime stats, etc but I'm strictly talking about black mecca and what the definition of what a black mecca is. Its no way that Houston beats out Detroit or Chicago for the top 5 position. Those cities plus New Orleans, Philly, etc have made enough contributions to be on this list. Just because black people are moving to these "new cities" doesnt make them a black mecca. You have to have at least 20 years in the game at the #1 or #2 position at all those categories to be considered a black mecca. With the #10 list this is for up and coming cities. Like I said in order to have the black mecca label you have to have at least 20+ years of undisputed at #1 or #2 positions.
So where are all of these educational and art institutions that Memphis has over Houston?

Your list is loosely based on population percentage and evidently little more.

Old 02-15-2016, 08:34 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,993,973 times
So....anybody see K.dots performance? lol

Old 02-15-2016, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Doesn't matter to me. But most black people today that is choosing to relocate today would choose to live in Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte over most of those cities between 4-9. Memphis over Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte. Ok... And to add that 20 years thing is pretty wonderfully arbitrary IMO.
I agree with you said in the first part but that doesnt make them meccas....it makes them good cities to move to but not a mecca.

Thats why 20 years is a good range to decide if a city is a mecca because certain cities were meccas back in the day but they arent now. 20 years is a good time period to see if said cities are true meccas or just fly by night wanna be meccas.

Im tired of discussing this. The criteria list is posted above. Men lie, women lie but criterias dont. Peace!

Old 02-15-2016, 09:08 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
I agree with you said in the first part but that doesnt make them meccas....it makes them good cities to move to but not a mecca.

Thats why 20 years is a good range to decide if a city is a mecca because certain cities were meccas back in the day but they arent now. 20 years is a good time period to see if said cities are true meccas or just fly by night wanna be meccas.

Im tired of discussing this. The criteria list is posted above. Men lie, women lie but criterias dont. Peace!
If you make them arbitrary it does. And in those last 20 years, how does those cities you mentioned besides Atlanta, NYC, and DC tower over Houston, Dallas, and New Orleans like you say it does. Especially Memphis.

Old 02-15-2016, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
So where are all of these educational and art institutions that Memphis has over Houston?

Your list is loosely based on population percentage and evidently little more.
6-10 were more of a toss-up. I put Memphis over Houston because Memphis has had more blacks in political positions and it has more black history than Houston. Just because a city is popular now doesnt take away from other cities. Its like saying next years first round NBA draft pick will be better than Jordan. No we have to wait at least 10 years to see what that player does and what that player accomplishes

Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,105,756 times
Quote:

Black Mecca List

1. ATL/DC
2. DC/ATL
3. NYC
4. Detroit/Chicago
5. Chicago/Detroit
6. New Orleans
7. Philly
8. Baltimore
9. Memphis
How are you putting Memphis---a city that doesn't even have any jobs and still looks, runs, and feels like 1968---in front of booming, thriving cities like Houston, Dallas, and Charlotte and claiming that it's "good for blacks"?

Old 02-15-2016, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
If you make them arbitrary it does. And in those last 20 years, how does those cities you mentioned besides Atlanta, NYC, and DC tower over Houston, Dallas, and New Orleans like you say it does. Especially Memphis.
Chicago created House music. Detroit created Motown. New Orleans created Jazz. Memphis created Blues. Dallas and Houston gave us Beyonce, Erykah Badu and Mike Jones (j/k lol) They are great artist but they cant be compared to what those cities have given the world.

Chicago/Detroit/New Orleans has more black history/black businesses/etc.

Middle/Upper Middle class is a toss-up

Black Arts/etc. Chicago has the Chosen Few Picnic and plenty of other events. New Orleans has Essence, Bayou Classic,etc. These are events that people travel across the country for to experience the black experience. Houston /Dallas signature black events cant compare to those events

Etc

Thats why I put those cities ahead. This is why I gave these cities 20 years timetable. Who knows maybe one day Houston or Dallas might rise to the top 5 position. We all thought Detroit would still be standing strong 20 years ago and look at it now. That's why this takes time to decide. Again yes I know the outlook of Charlotte/Dallas/Houston is much much better than Detroit/Chicago/Memphis but you cant disregard all the contributions that they have given. Again for the billionth time Charlotte/Dallas/Houston hasnt done anything major besides having good job growth to get that title. Its much more things that need to be accomplished besides job growth to overtake those cities. Now if we had a list about future job growth C/D/H would win easily

Last edited by fieldm; 02-15-2016 at 10:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City