Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 10:16 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
So in your opinion is Houston nightlife the same as DC?
I'm not aware of DC's black nightlife. Houston and Atlanta aren't any different. Atlanta is overhyped and more in the know, especially with all the reality tv shows there.

Give me an underrated scene vs an overrated scene any day; I'd rather be surprised than disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 10:18 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I don't know if it ever was as big as Freaknik and I'm going to assume it wasn't but during the height of the Kappa Beach Party days, the party was mostly in Galveston but it started out in Houston and from what older people use to tell me, Houston was wild that night before everything went to Galveston. Those days are long gone though. Houston was a pretty big club city back in the day. It just never got the notoriety. Still doesn't today.
True; I think it's because while Freaknik was the king of the spring break-type events back in the day, a couple of other places had similar events. Nightlife across the board used to be more club-dominated but things have changed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
How do you know?
Because it's common knowledge that Houston isn't as music- and entertainment-oriented as Atlanta (which drives a significant part of Atlanta's nightlife). Also it's a fact that Houston doesn't have as many large-scale Black events as Atlanta (another driver of nightlife), and it's also factual that Atlanta's nightlife has become tamer over the years. I'd probably say that Atlanta has become even tamer than Houston over the years since it used to be rowdier.

So there's still a difference--a little more if you include Black gay nightlife--but just not as pronounced.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
That's an interesting question. Personally I don't know overall, but the scenes are different. DC is a BIG happy hour/day party city, more so than any other city I know. Technically that's not nightlife but for all practical purposes, it counts.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:23 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,752,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
I'm not aware of DC's black nightlife. Houston and Atlanta aren't any different. Atlanta is overhyped and more in the know, especially with all the reality tv shows there.

Give me an underrated scene vs an overrated scene any day; I'd rather be surprised than disappointed.
You are so delusional my brother lol smh. If you want to keep telling yourself that to feel good about your city then so be it. The good thing about our nightlife is we have several scenes and not just one or two scenes. We have the 21-25 crowd, 30+ crowd, 40+ crowd, the neo soul jlll scott listening, green tea drinking natural hair crowd, the house music crowd, ratchet crowd, "black hollywood" crowd, etc. And you just cant compare cities if one city shuts down at 2am and the other shuts down from 3am-4am. If you think Atlanta only has the reality show crowd then you can believe that lol. I about done discussing this because its a waste of time. Its like me telling the KKK that they should hire more blacks lol

Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's an interesting question. Personally I don't know overall, but the scenes are different. DC is a BIG happy hour/day party city, more so than any other city I know. Technically that's not nightlife but for all practical purposes, it counts.
That's apart of nightlife. Brunch, day parties, happy hours, clubs, bars, after hour spots, etc is all grouped into nightlife

Old 02-19-2016, 10:24 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:
I would say that DC has better nightlife (and a more diverse venue options) for black folk(both gay and straight) than Houston does.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:28 AM

And the post about Galveston is true. I went to the Kappa back in 99. We left Houston too late and was stuck in traffic for about 7 hours but it was still fun. Thing is most people have the most fun partying from 21-25 so if you are in your mid 30s now you will say the 90s was the best because that was during your peak. Your parents will think that era was wack and that the 80s was better. Your grandparents will think the 80s and 90s was wack and that the 70s was poppin. Kids today that are 21 think todays clubs are on fire and in 10 years from now they will say the clubs during 2015 was the best ever. Its all a rotation because people turn 21 daily and people are getting older daily.

Last edited by fieldm; 02-19-2016 at 10:42 AM..

Old 02-19-2016, 10:31 AM

Location: Augusta, GA ''The fastest rising city in the southeast''
7,508 posts, read 15,101,643 times
Augusta is clearly one of the best cities for black residents in the entire US.

A very large black middle class for a city it's size.

Old 02-19-2016, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

What are some pros about Augusta?

Old 02-19-2016, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nortonguy View Post

"Clearly"? Compared to the likes of major/mid-major cities like Atlanta, DC, Houston, Dallas, Charlotte, Raleigh, Nashville, etc. etc.? Come on dude...Augusta isn't horrible but I don't even consider it to be towards the top of the list in its regional weight class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City