Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-19-2016, 11:10 AM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I said that Houston wasn't as music- and entertainment-oriented as Atlanta. These are much bigger industries in Atlanta than Houston, and many nightlife events are related to that.

A lot of times, those establishments don't have as many people because the filming either happens at slow hours or it's arranged to be like that; in both cases, that works to the advantage of both the film crew and the establishments.

Right but not as many as Atlanta. I'm making a point of comparison.

I'm not saying that Houston doesn't have these things but that Atlanta has more of them. I mean Atlanta has almost a million more Black people than Houston and almost double the metro Black population by percentage so it only makes sense.
This is fair.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2016, 11:14 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
This is fair.
Yep, it's just a function of the numbers, niche industries, and history. That said, I don't think the difference in nightlife, which is smaller than it used to be, is going to make a difference for most people in terms of choosing a place to live. The nightlife difference mostly counts when it comes to visitors and overall, Atlanta does a better job in the tourism department so there's that to consider as well.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:18 AM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
Quote:
Yep, it's just a function of the numbers, niche industries, and history. That said, I don't think the difference in nightlife, which is smaller than it used to be, is going to make a difference for most people in terms of choosing a place to live. The nightlife difference mostly counts when it comes to visitors and overall, Atlanta does a better job in the tourism department so there's that to consider as well.
Not really, even though Buckhead was popping back in the day and it isnt now today Edgewood ave, Peters St, etc wasn't here back then so it kind of balanced out. I would say nightlife is more diverse now and more "underground". Back in the day its was all about southern music at the clubs here. Now we still have that plus more reggae spots, lounges, house music events, etc. Back in the day its was all about the club and strip clubs. I mean its still that way today lol but you can include those other demographics now

Old 02-19-2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Of course, Houston isn't on TV as much as Atlanta as far as reality shows. If you notice, many of the establishments that those people on Atlanta's shows go to are empty, and the shows are filmed at the same spots. LOL.

Most of the places are empty because they shoot during off nights for the most part like on Monday and Tuesdays. Its too much of an hassle to shoot say on the Friday night because you just can't shoot over the loud music, too many people, plus the film crew takes up too much space and that space that they are taking up could go toward people that want to be in there spending money, etc.

Old 02-19-2016, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
It's more like 600,000 to 700,000. Don't get beside yourself with the numbers.
I was looking at the 2010 figures. Looking at the 2014 figures for both CSA, Atlanta has about 850K more Black people which is still a huge difference in raw numbers.

Quote:
List the events.
What events?

Old 02-19-2016, 11:30 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
I was looking at the 2010 figures. Looking at the 2014 figures for both CSA, Atlanta has about 850K more Black people which is still a huge difference in raw numbers.

What events?
Atlanta's big events

Old 02-19-2016, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Atlanta's big events
I thought you lived in Atlanta so you SHOULD know what went on

Old 02-19-2016, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Atlanta's big events
I'm not making an exhaustive list of Atlanta's big events; that's too time consuming, plus you used to live there so you should know all about them. However, a few signature ones that have a significant nightlife component to them would include the BET Hip Hop Awards, the Hoodie Awards, Honda Battle of the Bands, Atlanta Greek Picnic, SpelHouse homecoming (some years in conjunction with CAU homecoming), Bronner Brothers Hair Show, and Black Gay Pride.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:00 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,786,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldm View Post
I thought you lived in Atlanta so you SHOULD know what went on
I did, but since there's a little challenge, I want to clap back with Houston's events. You were dismissed a long time ago.

Old 02-19-2016, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I did, but since there's a little challenge, I want to clap back with Houston's events. You were dismissed a long time ago.
Lol.....that's so cute

Its like the Jacksonville Jaquars trying to prove that they are better than the Broncos lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City