Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2016, 06:08 PM

408 posts, read 581,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamills21 View Post
So....anybody see K.dots performance? lol
Compton the Motherland! i see where you went with this lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2016, 06:11 PM

408 posts, read 581,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Also, I would put Birmingham above New Orleans and Memphis.
I disagree. What has Birmingham contributed to be titled a black mecca in the last 10-20 years? Memphis may have crime issues, but its the Home to the Cargo and HQ of FedEx and St Jude Children's Hospital.

NOLA has black creole culture that goes back centuries, and the young population still embrace it wholesomely.

Old 02-16-2016, 06:22 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,472,719 times
Quote:
Yeah, It made me think back to that conversation we were having about black people in CA not being black...well is this black enough for y'all? lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqw9ciSmhCE

Shouts out to Compton lol. This is a video of the people of Compton rapping to his song, he really is putting his city back on the map which is good. Another response to when people say LA isn't black enough...we have certain neighborhoods that are still very much so black and the culture is extremely prevelent, ESPECIALLY in the Crenshaw/baldwin hills area...and obviously places like Inglewood, Compton, North Long Beach,ect.

Old 02-17-2016, 10:05 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,789,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
Share some history. I don't know about any.

No shade at all. I really want to know.
Here's a little:

Dallas Freedmans Memorial Cemetery

In regards to pop culture history, let's not forget how both Kirk Franklin and Erykah Badu almost single helped changed the landscape of their respective musical genres forever. Lots of good Black music has come out of DFW and I think people don't think much about that.

Old 02-17-2016, 11:09 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
according to CD there are like 3/4 cities that are acceptable for blacks to live, everywhere else might as well be Portland, Oregon.
Even in Portland, parts of NE Portland have a high Black percentage and has a predominately Black high school in Jefferson High. If you follow Basketball, Terrence Jones(Jefferson), Terrence Ross(Jefferson), A.C. Green(Benson), Damon Stoudamire(Wilson) and Terrell Brandon(Grant) come from there. So, even Portland has its mostly/highly Black areas.

Here is video of a game between Jefferson and Rainier Beach of Seattle, which is a predominately Black HS as well: http://youtu.be/nCLcyc2p5w4

Old 02-17-2016, 11:50 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Here's a little:

Dallas Freedmans Memorial Cemetery

In regards to pop culture history, let's not forget how both Kirk Franklin and Erykah Badu almost single helped changed the landscape of their respective musical genres forever. Lots of good Black music has come out of DFW and I think people don't think much about that.
I forgot about those two!

Old 02-17-2016, 12:44 PM

2,322 posts, read 2,992,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Even in Portland, parts of NE Portland have a high Black percentage and has a predominately Black high school in Jefferson High. If you follow Basketball, Terrence Jones(Jefferson), Terrence Ross(Jefferson), A.C. Green(Benson), Damon Stoudamire(Wilson) and Terrell Brandon(Grant) come from there. So, even Portland has its mostly/highly Black areas.

Here is video of a game between Jefferson and Rainier Beach of Seattle, which is a predominately Black HS as well: http://youtu.be/nCLcyc2p5w4
I'm not saying there are no black people there but the perception of how "Black" portland is is never in the conversation especially in CD.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:22 PM

641 posts, read 802,115 times
DFW and Houston are great cities for black folks. Top half of top 10 for sure.

I'm not from tx but got here as fast as I could. Had some people fly down from nc and they were very depressed when they had to leave.

TX isnt a touristy place. It's not a magnet by any means. But its a great place to call home. I just got back from atlanta last week. That place is mecca for sure but i'd rather stay in dfw or houston.

Old 02-19-2016, 05:50 AM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJB327 View Post
DFW and Houston are great cities for black folks. Top half of top 10 for sure.

I'm not from tx but got here as fast as I could. Had some people fly down from nc and they were very depressed when they had to leave.

TX isnt a touristy place. It's not a magnet by any means. But its a great place to call home. I just got back from atlanta last week. That place is mecca for sure but i'd rather stay in dfw or houston.
I absolutely agree. One reason Texas and its big cities don't get the respect they deserve though---especially from black folks---is that it's not very touristy, and Dallas and Houston in particular aren't viewed as party cities. But as you said, though, they're actually great cities to live, work, and raise a family in. Especially for progressive and professional black folks. All those black people aren't moving to Texas for nothing these days.

Old 02-19-2016, 07:05 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,779,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I absolutely agree. One reason Texas and its big cities don't get the respect they deserve though---especially from black folks---is that it's not very touristy, and Dallas and Houston in particular aren't viewed as party cities. But as you said, though, they're actually great cities to live, work, and raise a family in. Especially for progressive and professional black folks. All those black people aren't moving to Texas for nothing these days.
Houston is nowadays for black people.

I've heard the complaint here that there's nothing to do besides go to the club or bar. This complaint baffles me, but hey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City