Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 02:15 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's wild. I mean I'm a fed with an advanced degree and I'm Greek, but I'm so much more than that and my life certainly doesn't revolve around those things.
I have a friend right now always bragging about his PHD, Yet he still has a roomate in hyattsville. My other friend has a city job and makes way more than my friend with the PHD. Alot of them love titles. Your right im more than whats on a piece of paper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2016, 02:16 PM

3,451 posts, read 3,913,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
Not all black folks in DC are like that though.

I've worked for the feds, now I write proposals for a gov't contractor and have an advanced degree. I don't go around telling people this the moment I meet them like so many do. I'm not in a BGLO, so I feel somewhat out of place in some circles. My life does not revolve around these things, but for a lot of people it does. DC is pretty much a city of nerds and overachievers who have something to prove. I've been here about a year and I thought LA was a difficult city to try and form friendships and know people, but DC is a whole other animal. I know it takes time to cultivate and make friends when you move to a new city, but damn...these folks here ! However, I will say I've gotten a lot better at not getting too overly friendly/familiar with people the way I would when I lived down south. And have got a lot more direct when I don't want to be bothered...Hey, I might be yet another DC D-Bag before I know it
Thats why I didnt say all. I use the word alot in the beginning of my post. I know some thats not like that

Last edited by Staysean23; 08-04-2016 at 02:26 PM..

Old 08-04-2016, 02:50 PM

37,888 posts, read 41,980,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
I have a friend right now always bragging about his PHD, Yet he still has a roomate in hyattsville. My other friend has a city job and makes way more than my friend with the PHD. Alot of them love titles. Your right im more than whats on a piece of paper.
Sounds about right; a lot of PhD's struggle. I hope he got the degree for the love of his discipline and not bragging rights because if so, that's sad.

Old 08-05-2016, 08:57 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staysean23 View Post
Thats why I didnt say all. I use the word alot in the beginning of my post. I know some thats not like that
The main people that brag about job titles or education when they first meet someone are not from D.C. in the first place. The people actually from the DMV are nothing like the rest of the transplants in the region.

There isn't much intermingling between those who are from the DMV and those who just moved here though. I don't think people do that on purpose, but I do believe we (meaning locals) like different things and walk to a different beat. We may not have as much in common. Almost all of the people I know outside of work are from the DMV and their friend circles are also from the DMV.

D.C. gets this bad rap, however, it's really people from other cities that act like this. D.C. just happens to be a city where successful and educated people like to locate, therefore, the city gets that label.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:14 AM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
The main people that brag about job titles or education when they first meet someone are not from D.C. in the first place. The people actually from the DMV are nothing like the rest of the transplants in the region.

There isn't much intermingling between those who are from the DMV and those who just moved here though. I don't think people do that on purpose, but I do believe we (meaning locals) like different things and walk to a different beat. We may not have as much in common. Almost all of the people I know outside of work are from the DMV and their friend circles are also from the DMV.

D.C. gets this bad rap, however, it's really people from other cities that act like this. D.C. just happens to be a city where successful and educated people like to locate, therefore, the city gets that label.
I've noticed that locals in the DMV do not intermingle with transplants that much at all. It's already rare to find a native Washingtonian in a lot of areas, LOL...When I lived in ATL, transplants and natives associated with each other a lot more

Old 08-06-2016, 11:19 AM

13,728 posts, read 15,768,537 times
Quote:
I've noticed that locals in the DMV do not intermingle with transplants that much at all. It's already rare to find a native Washingtonian in a lot of areas, LOL...When I lived in ATL, transplants and natives associated with each other a lot more
Yeah, I can't say this in general, however, it may have to do with the attitude displayed by transplants. They seem to think they're better than local people. The comments I hear sometimes can infuriate you. Trying to stay professional can be difficult. It is what it is though.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:03 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,105,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDAllstar View Post
Yeah, I can't say this in general, however, it may have to do with the attitude displayed by transplants. They seem to think they're better than local people. The comments I hear sometimes can infuriate you. Trying to stay professional can be difficult. It is what it is though.
The relationship between locals and transplants is always interesting to me and varies from city to city. I can't speak much for DC, but I know that in Dallas, it's the Black locals who look down on the Black transplants. Local Dallas Blacks tend to view Black transplants to DFW as "uppity" and weird. The Black locals in Dallas are some of the most insular Black people I have ever met, especially for a metro that's so huge, is growing so fast, and is so diverse and full of opportunity. The Black locals are so insular that they basically stay in one area and don't even bother to enjoy or partake in the aspects of DFW that so many transplants move here to take advantage of, yet they are quick to call Dallas "segregated" (more like self-segregation). It's really weird.

Old 08-06-2016, 06:24 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
The relationship between locals and transplants is always interesting to me and varies from city to city. I can't speak much for DC, but I know that in Dallas, it's the Black locals who look down on the Black transplants. Local Dallas Blacks tend to view Black transplants to DFW as "uppity" and weird. The Black locals in Dallas are some of the most insular Black people I have ever met, especially for a metro that's so huge, is growing so fast, and is so diverse and full of opportunity. The Black locals are so insular that they basically stay in one area and don't even bother to enjoy or partake in the aspects of DFW that so many transplants move here to take advantage of, yet they are quick to call Dallas "segregated" (more like self-segregation). It's really weird.
It's the cuture of the city they're from, and I've noticed this pattern in most cities that lack a local foundation of educated and affluent Blacks. It doesn't help that the south side of the city has largely been ignored by those north of downtown.

Old 08-06-2016, 08:45 PM

4,010 posts, read 3,754,495 times
Quote:
In DC at least when I lived there the blacks where either in the ghetto crowd or the professional crowd for the most part. There were other groups but these were the most visible groups. For the most part these groups didnt socialize with each other. Most of the DC natives would be at Go Go's on the weekend and the transplants will be at the spots with a dress code. Generally you know a club in DC is going downhill if they first cater to the professionals then a few years later they cater to the ghetto crowd lol. Its good though because the DC natives, graduates from HU and the other schools didn't want to have to be around them either.

In Atlanta we have a large amount of every group to include middle class blacks, upper middle class blacks, straight blacks, gay/lesbian blacks, hippy blacks (I dont know the right name for this group. The Afropunk type blacks), ghetto blacks, the Jill Scott natural hair women group, 30+ blacks, 45+ blacks, the black Hollywood blacks, etc. The good thing about this is generally speaking most people stay within their group that they feel comfortable in. A big issue here is the average person that moves here doesn't even realize its all these groups here unless they are heavy in the social scene.

Its good that DC and Atlanta professional blacks distance themselves from the ghetto blacks. This is why blacks love both these cities. It feels good going out at night and not seeing the ghetto crowd with their pants hanging off their ass and listen to garbage music.

As far as locals in Atlanta mixing with transplants it happens but its the ghetto transplants mixing with the ghetto locals or the professional locals mixing with the professional transplants. You are not going to see a ghetto local mixing with a professional transplant, generally speaking.

Old 08-06-2016, 09:09 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,220,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It's the cuture of the city they're from, and I've noticed this pattern in most cities that lack a local foundation of educated and affluent Blacks. It doesn't help that the south side of the city has largely been ignored by those north of downtown.
It seems that in Texas that Houston has had and still has a much stronger educated and affluent black middle class than Dallas or Fort Worth ever did and that still affects perception of which metro area in the state is the 'better' choice for black transplants to this day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City