Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2015, 08:03 AM

3,530 posts, read 4,180,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfPlaceInDC View Post
I mean, just look at PG county. Arguably the most successful black mecca in the US if you go by income levels (largest concentration of AA wealth in the country with a 1 Million person population that's 85% black). High Crime, Low real estate prices, failing schools, corrupt police. There's literally only one place worse than it in the entire DC metro, and that's SE DC. And what makes SE DC even worse?
How is that any different from a ton of other, successful non-AA areas in this country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2015, 08:34 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,009 times
I'm not sure if this has been brought up but similar to the Hispanic Mecca thread, so you guys think that there are whole states that are black Meccas? Or is it just strictly cities. For example NYC is a black Mecca to some extent but the state of new York as a whole surely is not. I'm not sure if any state as a whole is truly a black Mecca, maybe Georgia?

Old 12-18-2015, 08:38 AM

79 posts, read 97,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
How is that any different from a ton of other, successful non-AA areas in this country?
Uhh... name another successful metro with high crime, low real estate prices and failing schools that doesn't have a AA population much larger than the national average? There might be some cities closer to the boarder that have huge hispanic populations that drag down the schools and real estate prices, but their murder and violent crime rates don't approach places like Chicago, Baltimore, Cleveland, Atlanta, etc.

Or if you want to swing in the complete opposite direction, look at the pacific north west. Very large cities (SF, Seattle, Portland, Sacramento) that have really low crime rates. Of course, then you have Oakland, SF's PG county if you will....

Old 12-18-2015, 08:39 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
I'm not sure if this has been brought up but similar to the Hispanic Mecca thread, so you guys think that there are whole states that are black Meccas? Or is it just strictly cities. For example NYC is a black Mecca to some extent but the state of new York as a whole surely is not. I'm not sure if any state as a whole is truly a black Mecca, maybe Georgia?
I don't think whole states can be "Meccas" either.

As for NY State, NYC isn't even the Blackest city in the state, as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany have higher Black percentages. Schenectady and Niagara Falls are just about right there with NYC in that regard. So, it isn't like once you leave NYC, there aren't any highly or predominately Black cities/CDP's/neighborhoods in the state. There are issues in these areas, but there are also middle class Black people in these areas and Black history is actually very underrated throughout the state. I'd suggest these 2 threads for some interesting information: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...s-african.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...mmunities.html I would start viewing the threads maybe a page or two into them.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:09 AM

1,932 posts, read 2,474,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I don't think whole states can be "Meccas" either.

As for NY State, NYC isn't even the Blackest city in the state, as Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse and Albany have higher Black percentages. Schenectady and Niagara Falls are just about right there with NYC in that regard. So, it isn't like once you leave NYC, there aren't any highly or predominately Black cities/CDP's/neighborhoods in the state. There are issues in these areas, but there are also middle class Black people in these areas and Black history is actually very underrated throughout the state. I'd suggest these 2 threads for some interesting information: https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...s-african.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...mmunities.html I would start viewing the threads maybe a page or two into them.
Yeah I knew that most New York cities have a higher percentage of blacks but I was under the impression that most blacks in those cities were not doing that well/were very segregated to poverty stricken areas, I guess that I have to do more research on that matter! But yeah I find it hard to believe that whole states can be Meccas, I think the biggest black Meccas we will see will be in counties.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:11 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,739,914 times
Maryland would probably be the closest thing if we're talking about entire states. But I agree that there is no state that should be considered such.

Old 12-18-2015, 09:30 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,052,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i'm not a cookie View Post
Yeah I knew that most New York cities have a higher percentage of blacks but I was under the impression that most blacks in those cities were not doing that well/were very segregated to poverty stricken areas, I guess that I have to do more research on that matter! But yeah I find it hard to believe that whole states can be Meccas, I think the biggest black Meccas we will see will be in counties.
You do have some of that, but there are Black people in leadership positions and professionals as well. I left some things out of that first thread, but Buffalo, Rochester and Ithaca have Black mayors. Buffalo, Syracuse and Albany have Black women that are school superintendents. Ithaca's school super is Black. Syracuse's police chief is Black. Harriet Tubman's home in Auburn is going to be a National Park Service site and I believe some of her nieces still live there. Neighborhoods like eastern Salt Springs in Syracuse, the 19th Ward south of Brooks Ave in Rochester, some outer areas in NE Buffalo into western Cleveland Hill in Cheektowaga and parts of Albany's Delaware Ave neighborhood have predominately/pluralistically more Black, middle class areas.

Also, the second Black lawyer in the country had his office in Downtown Syracuse in the 1850's(George B. Vachon) and perhaps the first Black mayor of a municipality occurred in the 1860's in the village of Cleveland in Oswego County(Ned Sherman). The inventor of the Golf Tee and the second person to graduate from Harvard's Dental School was born and raised in Oswego(George F. Grant). There are other examples. So, you also have a historical component throughout the state as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 12-18-2015 at 10:11 AM..

Old 12-18-2015, 03:12 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
I think if a state was a Black Mecca it would be N. Carolina, Maryland, Tennessee, Georgia and S. Carolina.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:01 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,792,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post
I think if a state was a Black Mecca it would be N. Carolina, Maryland, Tennessee, Georgia and S. Carolina.
Ir's Maryland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City