Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2022, 10:21 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legoman View Post
Go look up Pascal's wager if you haven't seen it before. What you have proposed is a variation of Pascal's wager... and it is a very flawed argument.

It goes like this:
1. If you think God exists, you must believe so as to avoid eternal condemnation
2. If you think God doesn't exist, what's the harm in believing in case you are wrong

However this is inherently flawed. First it assumes one can simply "choose" to believe.

But the real issue is it assumes there are only 2 outcomes, and it engages in "what-if-ism". What if God exists... you better believe just in case?
Well there could be other outcomes.

3. What if God rewards those who are true to their heart, and eternally condemns those who engage a false belief?
4. What if God rewards those who try to do good in this life, and eternally condemns those who prejudge others to eternal condemnation?

There could be a 1000 other "what-if" outcomes etc. according to this wager.

So the idea that its better to believe "just in case" (ie. Pascal's wager) is poor at best. It is always better to try to determine what the actual truth really is. It cannot be both true that God loves His creation and will restore all of His creation; and at the same time He will condemn most of His creation to eternal hellfire. This is your problem jbf. Please pray and consider on this theme further.
Yeah, what if God is truely jealous like many believe. What will really tick Him off is worshipping the wrong one. Better not worship ANY God just in case.

I don't believe any of that BTW but that's how some people present God.

Old 05-11-2022, 10:45 AM

6,657 posts, read 8,125,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Yeah, what if God is truely jealous like many believe. What will really tick Him off is worshipping the wrong one. Better not worship ANY God just in case.

I don't believe any of that BTW but that's how some people present God.
Yep. That is the silliness of the wager. "Just in case". What if God is actually a giant red dragon that demands you throw a gold ring into the GREAT VOLCANO! Better do it "just incase"... let me help you with those gold rings...

Old 05-11-2022, 11:02 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,273,602 times
Quote:
Yep. That is the silliness of the wager. "Just in case". What if God is actually a giant red dragon that demands you throw a gold ring into the GREAT VOLCANO! Better do it "just incase"... let me help you with those gold rings...
At the end of the day, Jesus told us to become like little children (innocent, with vivid imaginations and their child like faith) not our ancient ignorant ancestors(who got it all wrong), which sadly seems to be the way many who believe in eternal hell think like. I will just wait for an ET'er to put me right and tell me children are born in sin and desperately wicked. Just to think that eternal hell is being taught to our children in Sunday schools throughout the world is very disturbing.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:02 AM

15,840 posts, read 6,308,360 times
Quote:
Except you can't cover your basis with a narcissistic God as an ideal. You would run the risk of false worship.

I really like your style Legoman.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:33 AM

4,621 posts, read 1,168,990 times
Universalism is a false message since:

Ps 1:4-6

4 The ungodly are not so: but are like the chaff which the wind driveth away.

5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.

6 For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brightfame52 View Post
Universalism is a false message since:

5 Therefore the ungodly shall not stand in the judgment, nor sinners in the congregation of the righteous.
6 For the Lord knoweth the way of the righteous: but the way of the ungodly shall perish.
Eternal Torment is a false message since:

But when God's judgments are in the earth, the people will learn righteousness (Isaiah 26:9). So we see that God's judgments are for correction, so that people can learn, so that ultimately God can restore all things to Himself. Its good news!

Old 05-11-2022, 11:49 AM

This is an old site; this page highlights many verses showing the universal reconciliation and salvation of all.

100 Scriptural Proofs That Jesus Christ Will Save All Mankind
https://tentmaker.org/books/ScripturalProofs.html

Ignore it if you want, it doesn't change the truth.

Old 05-11-2022, 11:52 AM

7,530 posts, read 3,019,505 times
Quote:
Surely it doesn't mean all of creation will be restored? That would mean there would be a universal restoration/reconciliation...

This must be some sort of secret.
Yup! When ABBA declares the whole of created life shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption, that is precisely the scope of His restoration. This is NOT a partial restoration, but one that manifests our Father as the triumphant Lord of His creation.

The Lion of the tribe of Judah has prevailed !

Old 05-11-2022, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose2Luv View Post
Yup! When ABBA declares the whole of created life shall be delivered from the bondage of corruption, that is precisely the scope of His restoration. This is NOT a partial restoration, but one that manifests our Father as the triumphant Lord of His creation.

The Lion of the tribe of Judah has prevailed !
Thankyou Rose2Luv for all your posts! It truly is good news which will bring great joy to all people!

Old 05-11-2022, 12:22 PM

I'm reading over my old posts from 10+ years ago, found another good verse:

NIV:
Rev 15:1 I saw in heaven another great and marvelous sign: seven angels with the seven last plagues—last, because with them God's wrath is completed.

NLT:
Rev 15:1 Then I saw in heaven another marvelous event of great significance. Seven angels were holding the seven last plagues, which would bring God’s wrath to completion.

Amplified:
Rev 15:1 THEN I saw another wonder (sign, token, symbol) in heaven, great and marvelous [warning of events of ominous significance]: There were seven angels bringing seven plagues (afflictions, calamities), which are the last, for with them God's wrath (indignation) is completely expressed [reaches its climax and is ended]

God's wrath is completely expressed and ends!

Makes sense since God's judgments are so people will learn righteousness, and thus be able to be reconciled back to God - so that God ultimately will be all in all. It truly is a glorious message!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity