Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2022, 09:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times

Advertisements

Appreciate the lengthy reply, but just for one point, it's strange that a Tractor Trailer carrying a gross weight of 80,000 Lbs going 80 MPH with a 22.5 Aluminum Wheel can have 10 Lugs, but a Cup car can't have 5. I'd like to dig a little deeper in the science of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Well.. It's a fair enough question. But, if we're calling it stock car racing.. Find a stock car with a carb nowadays. The driving force in changes over the past 20 years has been safety. And, considering that, best I can tell, we've gone the longest time in history without an on track death and the most serious injury likely being Jerry Nadeau back in '03(?) before the new cars... You kinda have to say.. It's been a success.
I've always praised Nascar for their safety efforts. Every year seemed to get better and better. Until this year. These new cars are much more dangerous. No need to even go into any detail about it. As far as Wheels go, between the old and the new I'm sure that there could have been some kind of compromise.

You stated "Find a stock car with a carb nowadays". As I mentioned earlier, find a new car in the lot with 1 Lug Nut.

In my opinion, a lot of it weighed on Nascar to have the car more appealing to the younger crowd and this is the wheel they came up with.

Also when you say that most of the Wheels fly off on Pit Road, did you have in mind a track like Martinsville or Bristol for just two quick examples?

Old 10-21-2022, 06:05 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
While we are going down this rabbit hole are we interested in racing, complaining or doing things to bring down the sport? How about we show up to race and give the most value to our sponsors. Be careful you are not being drawn into intentional drama.
I appreciate your comment. It does seem like we are all just complaining here, but we are just passionate about a sport that many of us have grown up with.

When things go well, we are huge cheerleaders. When things go wrong, we want to talk about it. I try to go to one race a year and watch just about every CUP race. I go to websites about NASCAR, listen to podcasts, watch YouTube videos, etc... Some of the older fans here just miss the excitement of the heyday, pretty much back in the 90's. We are concerned for the long term health of the sport as well as the safety of the drivers.

But as with anything like this, you do need to be careful not to get too emotionally involved. At our level, there isn't much we can do anyway.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:13 AM

5,170 posts, read 6,136,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
I appreciate your comment. It does seem like we are all just complaining here, but we are just passionate about a sport that many of us have grown up with.

When things go well, we are huge cheerleaders. When things go wrong, we want to talk about it. I try to go to one race a year and watch just about every CUP race. I go to websites about NASCAR, listen to podcasts, watch YouTube videos, etc... Some of the older fans here just miss the excitement of the heyday, pretty much back in the 90's. We are concerned for the long term health of the sport as well as the safety of the drivers.

But as with anything like this, you do need to be careful not to get too emotionally involved. At our level, there isn't much we can do anyway.
I could not have summarized better. As we Boomers start fading away so will the rhetoric of calling NASCAR out for its poor decision making in the last ten years.

Things change and I definitely miss NASCAR of old and while I enjoy catching juniors show I really miss Dave Dispain’s Wind Tunnel.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:31 AM

416 posts, read 534,823 times
My post was targeted more at the driver part of it. To come in 2nd and whin about it is childish. To get moved up to the wall and retaliate as was done recently is dangerous and needs anger management treatment. Also there are probably forces out there who would like to take NASCAR down. One way is cause divisive trouble from within. Another is to alienate the fans by suggesting they are racists. Unequal punishment helps too.

Old 10-21-2022, 08:43 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I could not have summarized better. As we Boomers start fading away so will the rhetoric of calling NASCAR out for its poor decision making in the last ten years.

Things change and I definitely miss NASCAR of old and while I enjoy catching juniors show I really miss Dave Dispain’s Wind Tunnel.

I never cared for Despain. Well, I didn't DISLIKE him, but.. Just never cared for his cadence when talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarbuilder View Post
My post was targeted more at the driver part of it. To come in 2nd and whin about it is childish. To get moved up to the wall and retaliate as was done recently is dangerous and needs anger management treatment. Also there are probably forces out there who would like to take NASCAR down. One way is cause divisive trouble from within. Another is to alienate the fans by suggesting they are racists. Unequal punishment helps too.

Oh BS. Second is just the first loser. I wouldn't want any driver on my team who was happy with just finishing second. I get you can't win them all, but you try.

You think Earnhardt was happy finishing 2nd?

Old 10-21-2022, 09:29 AM

416 posts, read 534,823 times
I was posting about a specific driver who was acting childish after coming in 2nd. This driver has had people bend over backwards to get him in the sport and get top level funding. The payback was garage door rumors and reckless driving. Any driver around me has the right positive attitude.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:28 PM

Had a little time to dig a little deeper into the 1-Lug Aluminum Wheel issue. Found these 4 quotes from 4 different sites online:

NASCAR senior vice president of innovation and racing development John Probst explained Monday that the organization wants its Gen 7 Cup cars, scheduled to debut in 2021, to feature 18-inch aluminum wheels rather than the current 15-inch steel wheels. The reason: The larger style closer resembles the wheels on production cars.

NASCAR is moving to an 18″ wheel because manufacturers want stock cars to be more like production cars.

John Probst, NASCAR Senior Vice President of Innovation and Racing Development, said the move away from a 15-inch steel wheel was part of an overall goal to provide more relevance and a stronger correlation to today’s production cars with an 18-inch wheel.

“One of our main goals with the Next Gen car is to provide a vehicle that better replicates what our OEM partners sell in the showroom – both in looks and relevant technology said John Probst, NASCAR senior vice president of racing innovations.

Now remember what I stated yesterday before I even researched it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
In my opinion, a lot of it weighed on Nascar to have the car more appealing to the younger crowd and this is the wheel they came up with.
There you have it. All these lost wheels, multi suspensions and the dangers of it, all because of "looks". Nothing noted about Larger Brakes by the way. One of the reasons they stated about the 1 Lug Nut is they were afraid if all 5 Lugs weren't tight, it could ruin the Aluminum Wheel and be very costly for the teams. Now that is something that I didn't check into, but when a 1-Lug Wheel wobbles and falls off won't that ruin a wheel? Anyway, what is more costly, a ruined wheel once in a while or the Crew Chief and sometimes Crew Members as well getting suspended for 4 weeks at a time?

I say they should had just gone to a Steel 16 Inch Wheel that resembled an Aluminum one.

Old 10-22-2022, 06:22 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Had a little time to dig a little deeper into the 1-Lug Aluminum Wheel issue. Found these 4 quotes from 4 different sites online:

NASCAR senior vice president of innovation and racing development John Probst explained Monday that the organization wants its Gen 7 Cup cars, scheduled to debut in 2021, to feature 18-inch aluminum wheels rather than the current 15-inch steel wheels. The reason: The larger style closer resembles the wheels on production cars.

NASCAR is moving to an 18″ wheel because manufacturers want stock cars to be more like production cars.

John Probst, NASCAR Senior Vice President of Innovation and Racing Development, said the move away from a 15-inch steel wheel was part of an overall goal to provide more relevance and a stronger correlation to today’s production cars with an 18-inch wheel.

“One of our main goals with the Next Gen car is to provide a vehicle that better replicates what our OEM partners sell in the showroom – both in looks and relevant technology said John Probst, NASCAR senior vice president of racing innovations.

Now remember what I stated yesterday before I even researched it:

There you have it. All these lost wheels, multi suspensions and the dangers of it, all because of "looks". Nothing noted about Larger Brakes by the way. One of the reasons they stated about the 1 Lug Nut is they were afraid if all 5 Lugs weren't tight, it could ruin the Aluminum Wheel and be very costly for the teams. Now that is something that I didn't check into, but when a 1-Lug Wheel wobbles and falls off won't that ruin a wheel? Anyway, what is more costly, a ruined wheel once in a while or the Crew Chief and sometimes Crew Members as well getting suspended for 4 weeks at a time?

I say they should had just gone to a Steel 16 Inch Wheel that resembled an Aluminum one.

Old 10-23-2022, 04:53 PM

273 posts, read 655,226 times
Kinda sorry Hamlin didn't make it...again. He seems to be the modern day Mark Martin. Lots of top drivers retire w/o ever achieving a championship but Denny deserves one, it he can catch some breaks. If he doesn't get there by next year IDT it will happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing