Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2022, 12:38 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
In Jeff Gluck's weekly poll question, 91% thought it was a good race.

Meh. 15 lead changes, but most were under caution.

The last segment.. Harvick got out to that lead and the only drama was whether or not a caution would come out.

I didn't overly enjoy it.. The fact that Harvick won after being winless for so long I'd say bumped it up in some people's eyes. The actual racing? Not horrible, but not really good, either.

I will say, if Wallace had chased him down at the end, that would have improved it in my eyes. Whether he passed him or not. Just if he had made it competitive. But.. I suspect that if Wallace had actually chased him down and passed him.. That 91% number would have tumbled pretty far down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2022, 12:55 PM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
I enjoyed the racing action...for about 5 laps after restarts. After that it pretty much sucked. Most just settled in and turned it into a high speed parade of sorts.

Old 08-09-2022, 07:02 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Meh. 15 lead changes, but most were under caution.

The last segment.. Harvick got out to that lead and the only drama was whether or not a caution would come out.

I didn't overly enjoy it.. The fact that Harvick won after being winless for so long I'd say bumped it up in some people's eyes. The actual racing? Not horrible, but not really good, either.

I will say, if Wallace had chased him down at the end, that would have improved it in my eyes. Whether he passed him or not. Just if he had made it competitive. But.. I suspect that if Wallace had actually chased him down and passed him.. That 91% number would have tumbled pretty far down.
You really think that if Bubba won, that the people voting are racist?

This was a twitter poll that Jeff Gluck does weekly. Most people on twitter are younger, lean more left. I saw lot's of excitement after Bubba won the pole and even after the race with his 2nd place finish. Much optimism in the posts I read. I would be very surprised it would "tumble".

I think that Bubba has a great chance to win at Daytona and get into the playoffs. NASCAR would love that.

Old 08-09-2022, 01:01 PM

Quote:
You really think that if Bubba won, that the people voting are racist?

This was a twitter poll that Jeff Gluck does weekly. Most people on twitter are younger, lean more left. I saw lot's of excitement after Bubba won the pole and even after the race with his 2nd place finish. Much optimism in the posts I read. I would be very surprised it would "tumble".

I think that Bubba has a great chance to win at Daytona and get into the playoffs. NASCAR would love that.

My thinking was.. admittedly slightly along those lines. Won't say it didn't enter my head at all. Yes that WOULD have made a difference, I don't know how much.. But the main part is that Harvick won. If Denny had come up and passed him, it would have tanked the results of the poll much the same, perhaps more. Remember that Harvick still has an extreme popularity level simply from the old Earnhardt fans when he took over the 3 car.

When Sr died, they went to Junior and Harvick. I wouldn't even say to Junior OR Harvick, I think most Earnhardt fans split between them, they were fans of both t least at some level. Harvick has carried many of those on to current times.

So, while I won't say that people just don't like Bubba.. I see many of the people who just say Bubba sucks and doesn't deserve that ride and.. It does get you wondering about the motivation.. That's not the main focus tho. The main focus is that it was Harvick - and his fan base - that I think gave a bump that poll.

Maybe I'm wrong, because you and John liked it and perhaps I'm just the outlier.. I.. Just don't really see that. I wouldn't call it horrid, but I wouldn't even elevate it to 'good' from a racing level. I mean, it's not Jeff Burton leading every lap at a plate race in New Hampshire bad. Slightly below average is my view. That's why I was surprised at your reactions to it saying it was a really good race. The fact that Harvick won was nice, but so far as a competitive race? No.

Old 08-10-2022, 05:21 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
My thinking was.. admittedly slightly along those lines. Won't say it didn't enter my head at all. Yes that WOULD have made a difference, I don't know how much.. But the main part is that Harvick won. If Denny had come up and passed him, it would have tanked the results of the poll much the same, perhaps more. Remember that Harvick still has an extreme popularity level simply from the old Earnhardt fans when he took over the 3 car.

When Sr died, they went to Junior and Harvick. I wouldn't even say to Junior OR Harvick, I think most Earnhardt fans split between them, they were fans of both t least at some level. Harvick has carried many of those on to current times.

So, while I won't say that people just don't like Bubba.. I see many of the people who just say Bubba sucks and doesn't deserve that ride and.. It does get you wondering about the motivation.. That's not the main focus tho. The main focus is that it was Harvick - and his fan base - that I think gave a bump that poll.

Maybe I'm wrong, because you and John liked it and perhaps I'm just the outlier.. I.. Just don't really see that. I wouldn't call it horrid, but I wouldn't even elevate it to 'good' from a racing level. I mean, it's not Jeff Burton leading every lap at a plate race in New Hampshire bad. Slightly below average is my view. That's why I was surprised at your reactions to it saying it was a really good race. The fact that Harvick won was nice, but so far as a competitive race? No.
About the race, I do agree with you that it certainly wasn't the best race of this season. Had I not been able to watch it, I wouldn't kick myself for missing it. But it was an improvement over recent races at MIS.

I've always liked Bubba when he came into the Cup series. He wasn't a great racer at that time, but he was in slightly inferior equipment. When the 'Dega thing happen and with his and the media response to it, I lost a lot of respect for him. I'm slowly getting it back, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I truly would like to see him get a win on his own accord (not rain). The media though will make a huge deal out of it. It's good and bad at the same time, but at the end, it would be good for the sport. It's hard to imagine the amount of weight Bubba carries on his shoulders to win a race for his fans and bosses.

Old 08-10-2022, 11:35 AM

Quote:
About the race, I do agree with you that it certainly wasn't the best race of this season. Had I not been able to watch it, I wouldn't kick myself for missing it. But it was an improvement over recent races at MIS.

I've always liked Bubba when he came into the Cup series. He wasn't a great racer at that time, but he was in slightly inferior equipment. When the 'Dega thing happen and with his and the media response to it, I lost a lot of respect for him. I'm slowly getting it back, trying to give him the benefit of the doubt. I truly would like to see him get a win on his own accord (not rain). The media though will make a huge deal out of it. It's good and bad at the same time, but at the end, it would be good for the sport. It's hard to imagine the amount of weight Bubba carries on his shoulders to win a race for his fans and bosses.

They'll make a big deal out of it because it *IS* a big deal.

When he won, he was the first black driver (in Cup) that actually got the win and got to celebrate the win. Remember that poor Wendell Scott, they were afraid to flag him as the winner. He didn't get the money and trophy for a week or so afterwards. Bubba's win and celebration was something of making that wrong into a right. As much as can be done. And, hopefully, when he gets a FULLY legit win.. Not a shortened race, not a fuel mileage race not a DQ win or something.. Then gets another one.. It becomes NOT a big deal.

i totally agree about the 'noose' incident. But.. My issue with him is more that he didn't tamp things back. Remember that he didn't report it. He really wasn't involved other than making some initial statements based on what others had said about it. The problem is, well, THAT was a problem.. But when it was found that it was just a common tie to a rope to grab ahold of.. He didn't come out and say that it was a big nothing burger. He, and he's not the only one, doubled down.

Now. As a driver. I've followed him since he arrived at JGR in the diversity program. Him and Almirola both. Back in 2004 or so, I was telling people to watch Almirola.. He was going to be a good driver. I'm.. Mildly disappointed.. I thought Almirola would do a bit better with his career than he has. I always talk about the levels.. I thought he'd be a level up. I thought he'd reliably win a race or two a year and.. A really good year might seriously compete for a championship. He's about a step below that.

Wallace is quite a good driver overall. he was in.. Poorer equipment in Cup and for much of his Xfinity career after he left JGR and went to Roush in the bad times of Roush. When he went to 23XI, I expected more last year and he didn't deliver. This year.. Well, we can't really tell because his pit crew has wrecked his year. You do still see some inexperience coming through. Michigan, I believe, was a good example of that. He couldn't figure out how to get around Logano, which prevented him from competing at the end.. Which.. Helped make this a lower end of average race in my eyes. Anyway.. Good drivers make the most of the equipment, and I believe he really has done that even when he was in bad equipment. NOONE can take a really bad car and win with it. They can take an average car and top 10 it. They can take a good car and possibly win. Well outside of plate races at least.

as far as it being better than recent Michigan races. Well, hell. Comparing two turds and picking which one is best.. First thing you have to admit is that they're both turds.

I wouldn't go QUITE that far with this one. As I said.. From a racing standpoint.. Which, to me, if you're asking if it's a good race or bad race.. it doesn't matter who won. It doesn't matter if there was an exciting last lap pass ala Darlington in '03 (Though that last one helps!).. You look at the race as a whole. Was it competitive for the lead? Was it competitive through the field? Was it follow the leader? Were there many different strategies that made it suspenseful? Again. If Bubba (or Hamlin for that matter) had been able to get close and either pass or even compete with Harvick.. I'd probably have bumped this up to an average to MAYBE slightly on the high side of average race. Yep. That's me contradicting myself, because an awesome finish can make a difference. Doesn't make a turd an all-time-great race, but, does put a little polish on said turd.

This one. As someone said a few posts back.. It was exciting. For the first 5 laps after a restart. You know.. They're dead on right. That was.. About it.

And.. Just to clarify this. To your point of do I think there are people out there actively rooting against Bubba because he is a black driver? Yes, I certainly do. I don't think there's a whole lot of them, at least I certainly hope there aren't in this day and age, but.. Saying there aren't any, and I'm not saying you did.. I don't have glasses that are THAT rose colored.

Old 08-10-2022, 03:02 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Gragson replacing Ty Dillon at Petty
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...ride-in-no-42/

So do we assume Ty is going home to RCR?

Old 08-10-2022, 03:21 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Gragson replacing Ty Dillon at Petty
https://www.nascar.com/news-media/20...ride-in-no-42/

So do we assume Ty is going home to RCR?
Probably, if theres a spot, but not next year. He may have his own reality show too. "Ty Dillons Life in the Slow Lane"

Old 08-10-2022, 03:22 PM

5,672 posts, read 5,875,351 times
Kurt B out for another week............

Old 08-10-2022, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Kurt B out for another week............

If he's not careful, Gibbs is gonna win in that car. The kid is steadily improving as he gets more seat time. Short a speeding penalty at Michigan.. He MIGHT have had a top 5. Would have been close.

John Hunter's gotta be at least a little ticked off.

Word is that they're going to put Austin Hill in the 8. I thought Ty Dillon myself. Gragson was pretty well set that he was going to the 42. Honestly.. He could do better, but nothing better is particularly available.

Did you all see the uproar about SHR's 'big announcement'?

People were.. WILDLY speculating that they were either going back to Chevy or had signed Kyle Busch.. Or BOTH.. The huge announcement was that they were offering NFTs. Or, as I like to say.. Scamming people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing