Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2022, 06:07 AM

6,435 posts, read 3,140,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Stands looked quite a bit empty but what I did see of fans there were a lot of younger adults (non boomer like me) and children so that is encouraging seeing possibly newer fans!
True, but given the political situation, with government pushing for EVs, what will the younger fans be able to watch.......a bunch of cars going semi-silently w-rrrr, w-rrrr, around the track, for 300 miles? I've been a life-long oval track fan, going back to the early 1950s. To me, there's nothing like the sound of 24, 600HP, unmuffled race cars, tearing around a 1/2-5/8 mile, asphalt oval, in a 35 lap "feature"...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2022, 11:14 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
If you get a chance listen or watch the Dale Jr Download podcast (also on YouTube). Jr had Ty Gibbs as a guest for about an hour. If you are on the fence if this kid is the real thing or hasn't quite matured at NINETEEN, then you may have your mind changed after the interview, like I did.

I'm going to say it now, but this kid WILL be the next Gordon/JJ/Kyle Busch and could have the potential to to be an HOF driver and be mentioned in the total win column of those drivers. Maybe not championships since that system is so different now (and not total wins like Kyle). Ty has so much talent and the personality and willingness to focus on being the best driver he can be. Of course the support of JGR is a huge factor.

As a Chevy/HMS fan all my NASCAR life (Since Jeff Gordon started), I may be pulled to the dark side of Toyota and have to root for this kid.

Maturity on the race track is the concern. I watched some of the highlights of his appearance.. And he says all the right things.

but, he's got to prove it on the track so far as not ticking everybody off. There's a limit on that's racin' and he crossed that line early in the year.

He's made some adjustments to that. So, if that continues.. he can shake the reputation he's getting.

Old 08-16-2022, 07:53 PM

158 posts, read 43,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Maturity on the race track is the concern. I watched some of the highlights of his appearance.. And he says all the right things.

but, he's got to prove it on the track so far as not ticking everybody off. There's a limit on that's racin' and he crossed that line early in the year.

He's made some adjustments to that. So, if that continues.. he can shake the reputation he's getting.
maturity on nascar track race lol. they intentionaly start recks

Old 08-17-2022, 07:05 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Way too early final four prediction.

So maybe not way too early, since the Chase starts in three weeks, but I'm going to try to predict the final four:

1. Chase Elliott
2. Kyle Larson
3. Kevin Harvick
4. Hamlin or Logano

First two are easy, but Larson has been struggling a bit recently. Harvick is getting hot at the right time, plus Ford seems to be getting their act together. Which is why it's hard to pick the fourth spot. With Ford getting hot, Logano could be in that last spot. But Toyota is going through everything at Hamlin to get him in there... so the last spot could go either way.

I can see Ross Chastain nipping at the heels of Hamlin/Logano, but I don't think he'll make Homestead in the playoffs. But they have been the surprise team of the season....

Old 08-17-2022, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Way too early final four prediction.

So maybe not way too early, since the Chase starts in three weeks, but I'm going to try to predict the final four:

1. Chase Elliott
2. Kyle Larson
3. Kevin Harvick
4. Hamlin or Logano

First two are easy, but Larson has been struggling a bit recently. Harvick is getting hot at the right time, plus Ford seems to be getting their act together. Which is why it's hard to pick the fourth spot. With Ford getting hot, Logano could be in that last spot. But Toyota is going through everything at Hamlin to get him in there... so the last spot could go either way.

I can see Ross Chastain nipping at the heels of Hamlin/Logano, but I don't think he'll make Homestead in the playoffs. But they have been the surprise team of the season....

Good Harvick or Bad Harvick? Which one shows up for the playoffs? That's my concern there and why I would not put him in the final 4.

Larson has not run overly well since the spring. I mean, so far as competing for the win. He's had top 5's and top 10's, but..

To get in the final 4, you pretty much need to win.

Elliott I agree with. He's been coming on strong. Had a few bad weeks here lately.

Hamlin.. I dunno. Too many penalties.

Logano, yeah. Has a habit of catching fire in the playoffs and has been running pretty well lately.

Bell? Busch? I mean, the problem is.. None of the playoff drivers really seem overly dominant or.. Good.

i wouldn't put Chastain or Reddick in simply because of the lack of experience.

But, there's gotta be 4.

Old 08-17-2022, 12:29 PM

I guess my point here.. NO ONE seems to really be a frontrunner for the championship in my eyes, other than Elliott. For the moment, it's him against the field.

That can change, but that's how I see it right now. It's basically his to lose.

Old 08-19-2022, 06:18 AM

Kurt Busch to Miss Watkins Glen, Daytona

In an update on Thursday, Kurt Busch stated he will not compete in the final two races of the regular season at Watkins Glen and Daytona.

Busch has missed the last for races, dating back to Pocono, after a qualifying crash exiting Turn 3. He hopes to be back in time for the playoffs, which begin at Darlington in two weeks.

Ty Gibbs will continue to drive the No. 45 Toyota for 23XI Racing at Watkins Glen and Daytona.

https://www.jayski.com/2022/08/18/ku...-glen-daytona/

Old 08-19-2022, 07:58 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong...concerning the last two races before the playoffs (Watkins Glenn and Daytona):

If we have no new winners, it will be Blaney vs Truex on points for the last spot.

If we have one new winner, then both of those guys are out, Kurt's locked in.

If we have two new winners, then Blaney/Truex AND Kurt is out.

Old 08-19-2022, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong...concerning the last two races before the playoffs (Watkins Glenn and Daytona):

If we have no new winners, it will be Blaney vs Truex on points for the last spot.

If we have one new winner, then both of those guys are out, Kurt's locked in.

If we have two new winners, then Blaney/Truex AND Kurt is out.

Basically, yes. However. Kurt's status going into the playoffs will likely affect things.

If he's not cleared for the first race of the playoffs.. I suspect that NASCAR would pull his exemption, which would shift things around. So, honestly, Truex may not really be out at this point, even if he doesn't win or pass Blaney in points.

There's zero point keeping a playoff spot open for someone who won't be racing in the playoffs.

Somehow, this all seems like some giant thing where Reddick is going to be punted by Childress and take over the 45 next year.

Old 08-19-2022, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Basically, yes. However. Kurt's status going into the playoffs will likely affect things.

If he's not cleared for the first race of the playoffs.. I suspect that NASCAR would pull his exemption, which would shift things around. So, honestly, Truex may not really be out at this point, even if he doesn't win or pass Blaney in points.

There's zero point keeping a playoff spot open for someone who won't be racing in the playoffs.

Somehow, this all seems like some giant thing where Reddick is going to be punted by Childress and take over the 45 next year.
I don't want to get down on Kurt, but it seems not to be fair to Truex/Blaney if one is on the outside looking and and fought like heck every race this season.

But 'dems the rules I guess. But I do like your take that Truex still may have some hope. He's a good guy and time is running out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing