Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2022, 03:04 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times

Advertisements

Thought this was funny
So evidently Tony was at the race and supposed to give the command but didnt...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mot...65350e42ee53fe

The other option is officials were leery what might happen if the outspoken former driver was given a microphone and could say whatever he wanted to those in attendance and watching at home. It could have been a classic Tony moment and not a good look for NASCAR.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2022, 03:32 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Little surprised that the 19 raced his teammate the 11 that hard at the end, seeing that the 11 needed every point he could get.

after what's happened the past couple of weeks.. Are you still surprised? Did you notice the announcers on TV kinda saying "Oh, the 19 is slowing!" and then sounding REALLY disappointed when he came back and re-passed Denny? It was almost like a big "oh, nevermind"

It just really sounded like they were going to say that he just let Denny go by. Which, I'm sure if Denny was faster than he was.. He would have. no reason to hold your teammate up if they are faster than you. But.. He wasn't faster. Martin slipped a bit, Denny got by, and being the faster car.. Truex passed him pretty much right back.

Also.. I'm trying to find a current rulebook.. But I didn't see a penalty for the 19 for spinning on pit road. That USED to be a penalty. Didn't really matter how it happened. But, perhaps because the spin was.. Influenced by someone else, no penalty?

Funny thing.. In my searching, I found some rules from 1991..

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news...134-story.html

Quote:
There is a one-lap penalty for excessive speeds entering or exiting pit road.
There is a one-lap penalty for failing to stop within your pit area as painted on the pit-road surface.
There can be as much as a five-lap penalty if a car spins or hits another car in the pits.

Can you imagine? Speeding is a 1 lap penalty? and 'excessive speed' was undefined. NASCAR hadn't set a pit road speed at that point. They left it as a judgement call. BRILLIANT!

Old 10-25-2022, 07:47 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Martinsville has the potential to be a really great race. Given the propensity in modern NASCAR to really push the envelope to advance, it could be very exciting.

Labonte18, there in lies the issue many fans have with the sport. There needs to be clearly defined rules for as much as they can cover.

Jeff Burton suggested on Sunday that there should be an escalating scale for penalties. But how do you differentiate between tracks?

Old 10-25-2022, 09:52 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,137,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Martinsville has the potential to be a really great race. Given the propensity in modern NASCAR to really push the envelope to advance, it could be very exciting.

Labonte18, therein lies the issue many fans have with the sport. There needs to be clearly defined rules for as much as they can cover.

Jeff Burton suggested on Sunday that there should be an escalating scale for penalties. But how do you differentiate between tracks?
You mean a "wreck fest"??

Old 10-26-2022, 12:30 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times
I was just saying the other day, that I wouldn't mind seeing SRX replace Nascar someday. Here is a little more competition, Dale Jr and Kevin Harvick just bought CARS-tour racing series. Just heard.

Old 10-28-2022, 05:28 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
I was just saying the other day, that I wouldn't mind seeing SRX replace Nascar someday. Here is a little more competition, Dale Jr and Kevin Harvick just bought CARS-tour racing series. Just heard.

Just heard this is false. Jr had mentioned the other day about running the series race at Florence, but not buying the series.

Old 10-28-2022, 11:52 AM

5,672 posts, read 5,877,474 times
Bowman back at Phoenix.

Old 10-28-2022, 09:15 PM

2,189 posts, read 1,403,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateJohn View Post
Just heard this is false. Jr had mentioned the other day about running the series race at Florence, but not buying the series.
Looks like you are correct. This was reported by one of the more popular YouTube celebrities on Nascar news (can't remember his name, guy with a beard). Wish I put the link in it now, but he wasn't the only one reporting it. Can't find much on it now, but this could explain it a little better:

https://www.essentiallysports.com/na...to-a-meltdown/

Old 10-29-2022, 02:44 PM

Larson and Elliott, P1 and P2

Old 10-29-2022, 05:03 PM

Didnt see the x race but saw some highlights.... Wow! Ty Gibbs, wow. Don't know if you saw Almendinger approach Algier after the race... Class. Respect. JRM 3 cars going to the Championship, something tells me Ty Gibbs is not going to have a lot of friends there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing