Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2014, 04:27 PM

4,659 posts, read 4,118,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLIMMACKEY View Post
Due this is rubberish and propaganda......and I am PRETTY sure you have no basis for that copy/pasted statement. I have never heard anyone of color in the U.S. sensationalize the fact that Americans of color claim Egypt. And whom are you and the author to determine what their lineage is?
You are 46 pages in the past.

It is my statement.

What is rubberish?

Look on this thread, the two threads that have sprung up in the meantime, and all of the threads posted by my Afrocentric opponents from the past and see in their full splender the American Afrocentrists I am speaking of.

Look, you don't have the education level to be playing on this level, and it is obvious. You don't know what I am talking about because you have never sat in the classrooms where this is being taught. What is more, you cannot be bothered to read through the very thread that you are commenting on...so please, unless you are intending to embarrass yourself, leave it to the big kids, because I get tired or answering the same tired points for the intellectually lazy.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
According to many stupid Afrocentrists, EVERYBODY is black. LOL.

Look at this thread where more afrocentrist pseudohistory drivel is being pushed.

Sadly many Afrocentric schools are being created which is even more dangerous and damaging to the human mind and hive mind collective school of thoughts. OH THE HORROR! smh

Look at this thread where this bull**** is being promoted and perpetuated. They're claiming that Egypt and other places are BLACK and other Afrocentric hogwash:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...tes-black.html
Yup. Someone in this thread, I believe Obsidian Princess, claimed that the modern Jews are not descended from Israelites. Wonder where she was going with that...?

American Indians, east Indians, Vikings, Egyptians, Greeks, Romans, Anglo Saxons, Olmecs, Hannibal, Cleopatra, Socrates, Plato, Aristotle, Severus, Beethoven, Julius Caesar...all have been claimed as "black."

But according got the Afrocentrists who are claiming that they are not Afrocentrists, this thread is propaganda, I am a racist, and no one is claiming Egypt.

48 pages of "no one is claiming Egypt, you are a racist, and by the way here is why African Americans are related to Egyptians " followed by pictures of mud piles.

Lets keep it going, if for no other reason than high comedy.

In fact, thanks for reminding me of the "Black Olmec" thread.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...l#post33120192

Last edited by cachibatches; 01-21-2014 at 04:43 PM..

Old 01-21-2014, 09:11 PM

860 posts, read 1,109,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It has nothing to do with being obsessed. It's just looking at it from a Pan-African viewpoint. If someone is going to talk about ancient Africa history then Egypt is going to get eventually brought up into the conversation as it's one of the oldest civilizations in not only Africa but the world itself.

Modern Egyptians today are a mixture of indigenous Egyptian ancestry, Arab, and other foreign ancestry. Most Modern Egyptians do not look like the ancient Egyptian people as they are more mixed with foreign ancestry.

So how are we defining "Blackness" based on your high level Eurocentric viewpoint? Will you be using the Jim Crow idealogy?

Why would you expect West Africa to be exactly the same as North Africa? Would you expect Eastern Europe to be the same as Northern Europe?

Why do you have such a problem with African Americans wanting to seek out knowledge and embrace different cultures in Africa? African Americans lost their cultural connection to Africa as a result of the Atlantic Slave Trade. Many cannot point to a country of origin like many other people of the world can do. Can you really blame Black Americans for having a Pan-African viewpoint when it comes to the continent of Africa? Yet you have a problem when African Americans want to give props to Egypt. Whether you like it or not, Egypt is in Africa, so instead of having issues with Afrocentrics embracing Egypt as African people, maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself "why do you have such a problem with African Americans having a Pan-African viewpoint?".

Great Post!

Old 01-22-2014, 01:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Great Post!
Actually, my response in post 16 was great, and the answers were still great all the other times I had to repeat them for people like yourself you can't be bothered to read through a thread.

We are far beyond those silly "Pan African" arguments, and we are not talking about people imdifferently "seeking out knowledge." With something like 5-6 threads popping up on these boards with Afrocentrists actively trying to co-opt other cultures, we are not entertaining this nonsense.

Old 01-22-2014, 06:59 AM

109 posts, read 239,162 times
With all ideologies, there are moderate people and extremists. afrocentricism is no different, so we have to be careful by labeling them because some do appreciate West African history but the extremists only care about Egypt. Truth be told, most of it is religious bias. Extremist Afrocentric people ignore the history of West Africa is because if you study West Africa you would have to mention Islam and a lot of the famous kingdoms in West Africa were Muslim peoples, not all of West Africa were Muslims but Muslim have a big part of West African history so West Africa is ignore altogether. Extreme Afrocentric people perceive African people who practice a non-indigenous religion as being"less" African. If a group of black people aren't worshipping ancestors, plants, nature, multiple deities, doing magic, dancing around fires and other stereotypical indigenous things they aren't "real" African so Afrocentric people lookup to Egypt because they are seen as "purer" African. also, Egypt is seen as a time before"slavery". West Africa is problematic because extreme Afrocentric have told people that black people only become Muslim through slavery, forced conversion, invasions and that excuse is used to ignore the black Muslims in Africa, but West Africa and the history of Takrur, Songhai, Kanem Bornu, Mali, the Fulani people and various Muslim kingdoms goes against that narrative so if extreme Afrocentric people were to CORRECTLY teach the history of West Africa it would actually contradict many of the thingsthey'vetold people in the first place.

The irony of extreme Afrocentric is that it is supposed to "uplift" black people, but at the same time it depicts blacks as being child-like people who do not make their own conscience decisions, and have to be enslaved to embrace a world religion. This is comical because black people were never universally enslaved at anytime in history. Free blacks have always existed in West Africa, Africa is not an oversized island full of slaves, and though slavery has existed kingdoms did as well. Extreme Afrocentric also twists your perception on what is "African", and people believe that unless it is purely indigenous it is NOT African this is flawed because the white South Africa are not indigenous in anyway but they are still African whether you like it or not.

Last edited by SouthsideTillIDie; 01-22-2014 at 07:08 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 07:41 AM

93,253 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Bingo. Not only are they genetically very different, but they are culturally very different. Again, this is not to say that West Africa is in some way inferior, it just doesn't have much connection. We have sen some of the examples postulated as connections on this thread, and they are sparse indeed.

Ethiopia, by the way, is to me, one of the most amazing places in the world. Someday I want to see Aksum and Lalibella.
This still misses the point, as both sets of people are still with the fram of sud Saharan DNA and in the social context of race are viewed as Black. Overwhelmingly, African Americans do not claim Egypt and even those that may be viewed as Afrocentric themselves largely do not state that. You can possibly look at a small portion that state that, but for the overwhelming portion of even "Afrocentrists", which in and of itself is tough to decypher, do not good along with your claim. it is also possible that they aren't afrocentric if their focus is just on Egypt. This is why the title itself can be viewed as misleading or the title given to such people is misleading.

Also, I don't think any African Americans said that anyone was claiming that they or Western Africans are inferior as well.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:08 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,544 times
[quote=cachibatches;33119989]You are 46 pages in the past.

It is my statement.

What is rubberish?

Look on this thread, the two threads that have sprung up in the meantime, and all of the threads posted by my Afrocentric opponents from the past and see in their full splender the American Afrocentrists I am speaking of.

Look, you don't have the education level to be playing on this level, and it is obvious. You don't know what I am talking about because you have never sat in the classrooms where this is being taught. What is more, you cannot be bothered to read through the very thread that you are commenting on...so please, unless you are intending to embarrass yourself, leave it to the big kids, because I get tired or answering the same tired points for the intellectually lazy.[/quote]

OK. The jackass always shows his face. Who are you to tell an American of color, whom studied Afro-American Literature that he hath not the education to dispell your grossly false rhetoric? Please, enlighten us as to which classroom these obtuse and mythical ideals you speak of are being taught? Which classrooms? Whether they be K-12, College/University? Or is it what you would inaccurately call "The Progressive Black Movement"? Or maybe even the Mosque's? It must be the 5% Nation?

You sir show not your ignorance, but your intellectual mediocrity by spreading this garbage. Yes, you speak for all mediocrities all over the world. Not just CityData.

You sir, would be the idiot here in NYC whom would call a person of color Afro-American (and probably your favorite word "AfroCentrist") even though the peron is of West Indian, Island or even Latin descent. You sir, would lump all "Black people" in one box though we all have varying degrees of cultural makeup...some even EGYTPTIAN maybe....who knows but them? And sadly, idiot, you sir may very well be a person of color yourself whom should know better.

Last edited by SLIMMACKEY; 01-22-2014 at 08:19 AM..

Old 01-22-2014, 08:16 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,243,544 times
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly
It has nothing to do with being obsessed. It's just looking at it from a Pan-African viewpoint. If someone is going to talk about ancient Africa history then Egypt is going to get eventually brought up into the conversation as it's one of the oldest civilizations in not only Africa but the world itself.

Modern Egyptians today are a mixture of indigenous Egyptian ancestry, Arab, and other foreign ancestry. Most Modern Egyptians do not look like the ancient Egyptian people as they are more mixed with foreign ancestry.

So how are we defining "Blackness" based on your high level Eurocentric viewpoint? Will you be using the Jim Crow idealogy?

Why would you expect West Africa to be exactly the same as North Africa? Would you expect Eastern Europe to be the same as Northern Europe?

Why do you have such a problem with African Americans wanting to seek out knowledge and embrace different cultures in Africa? African Americans lost their cultural connection to Africa as a result of the Atlantic Slave Trade. Many cannot point to a country of origin like many other people of the world can do. Can you really blame Black Americans for having a Pan-African viewpoint when it comes to the continent of Africa? Yet you have a problem when African Americans want to give props to Egypt. Whether you like it or not, Egypt is in Africa, so instead of having issues with Afrocentrics embracing Egypt as African people, maybe you should look in the mirror and ask yourself "why do you have such a problem with African Americans having a Pan-African viewpoint?".

GREAT POST.....period.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:33 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
According to many stupid Afrocentrists, EVERYBODY is black. LOL.

Look at this thread where more afrocentrist pseudohistory drivel is being pushed.

Sadly many Afrocentric schools are being created which is even more dangerous and damaging to the human mind and hive mind collective school of thoughts. OH THE HORROR! smh

Look at this thread where this bull**** is being promoted and perpetuated. They're claiming that Egypt and other places are BLACK and other Afrocentric hogwash:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...tes-black.html
I'm surprised that we haven't yet heard about the Roman Senate being 1/3rd Black in this thread. All because there was a Roman province in the north of modern day Tunisa that was called Africa ( it's the Roman province that gave its name to the continent, not the other way around). I'm surprised that we haven't yet heard that Euclid was Black, cause he was born on the African geographical landmass.
I guess that makes Pieter Botha a Black man too, since he was born in Africa after all, lol.
Maybe even Eugene Terreblanche was a black man too.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:36 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
My parents were Ethiopian (Tigray and Amahara). I can trace my history back more than 300 years.
I was involved in a DNA test of more than 30,000 Ethiopians and Eqyptians and I have only 20% West African DNA like all the other Ethiopians. Our DNA is almost exactly the same as Egyptian. They have MORE European DNA. The majority of our DNA is European with 10% that comes from somewhere else. Good question where. Just Ethiopian DNA. My mother you would almost think was from India by her appearance and my father was light skinned black with green eyes.
I am a dark blond blue eyed white guy. Genetics plays funny tricks sometimes. But there are other blond haired blue eyed people in my family from time to time such as my mothers grandfather. But he was also Ethiopian. Not a European.
What im trying to say is that West Africans and East Africans (north Africans) are not the same people. Their DNA diverged 250,000 years ago and the east Africans bread with everyone from the Vikings to the Berbers. Egyptians decended from Ethiopians according to Ethiopian legend when 10,000 years ago a meteor hit what was supposed to be a 500,000 person city in the area of what is now Lake Tana in Ethiopia. Some survivors went north and created Egypt and others went south and created the different cultures in Ethiopia. I don't know about the city or migration but the impact site is there and wreckage of the city still exists to today north of Lake Tana and the DNA evidence adds a lot of credibility to the Idea.
Just saying.
While I agree that Amhara and Tigray people definitely have caucasoid ancestry ( about half), I've never heard of blonde and blue eyed people being even remotely common in Abyssinia. They're not common even in much more obviously caucasoid North-Africa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.