Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 09:53 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 552,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are these present in Europe?
I've seen it argued that Egyptian thought had a lot of influence on judaism.
from judaism came christianity. Do we need to go into detail about how contemporary European
culture is influenced by christianity ?

Egypt was an integral part of the hellenistic and the roman world for several centuries.
Egypt was located on the southern shore of a big lake called the mediterranean.

Old 01-17-2014, 10:02 AM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
DNA and genetics test, are testing SPECIFICALLY for geographical ancestry and geographical populations and patterns and frequencies. It is not testing for race. No such thing as race.

Part of the problem with DNA tests is that it only shows half of your ancestry. Each parent contributes half of their ancestral material and the other half is lost. And the contributions are not the same for each child. So DNA tests do not show all of your ancestors, just the ones that made it into your body.
Geneticists often speak of geographical ancestry and not race because they fear getting into trouble. They don't want to make waves so they avoid the word race, since it's "controversial". I had my dna examined and my racial ancestry results were extremely close to what I had imagined. At least in my case, the nonsensical idea of race seemed to magically match what I knew about my ancestry.

If you want to know that half that didn't make it into your own genome you need to test your parents.
How is that a "problem" for DNA tests though ? Why would you blame DNA tests for failing to analyze something that's not analyzable at all ( the half of your parental genetic material that you did not receive from them).

Old 01-18-2014, 06:25 PM

4,660 posts, read 4,132,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Are these present in Europe?
Since I am not claiming that Europeans are linked to Egyptians, the question is irrelevant.

Old 01-18-2014, 06:28 PM

It is almost comical that after all the crying, ad hominem, and claims that "no one is claiming Egypt," I have had to shoot down a dozen or so posters trying to claim connections to Egypt, and two similar threads have popped up in the meantime:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...ncestry-3.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...-black-37.html

Old 01-20-2014, 02:25 PM
hvl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
It is almost comical that after all the crying, ad hominem, and claims that "no one is claiming Egypt," I have had to shoot down a dozen or so posters trying to claim connections to Egypt, and two similar threads have popped up in the meantime:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...ncestry-3.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...-black-37.html
Maybe afrocentrism has become more sophisticated.
Back when I was into it, it was definitely about Egyptians being black people of the same type as african-americans. It was also "Hannibal was black, Cleopatra was black, Hebrews were black, a 3rd of the Roman Senate were Black". Anyone remembers that guy Runoko Rashidi, he of "black viking norwegians, black chinese, black japanese, black everything!" fame ?

Old 01-20-2014, 02:50 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,230,541 times
My parents were Ethiopian (Tigray and Amahara). I can trace my history back more than 300 years.
I was involved in a DNA test of more than 30,000 Ethiopians and Eqyptians and I have only 20% West African DNA like all the other Ethiopians. Our DNA is almost exactly the same as Egyptian. They have MORE European DNA. The majority of our DNA is European with 10% that comes from somewhere else. Good question where. Just Ethiopian DNA. My mother you would almost think was from India by her appearance and my father was light skinned black with green eyes.
I am a dark blond blue eyed white guy. Genetics plays funny tricks sometimes. But there are other blond haired blue eyed people in my family from time to time such as my mothers grandfather. But he was also Ethiopian. Not a European.
What im trying to say is that West Africans and East Africans (north Africans) are not the same people. Their DNA diverged 250,000 years ago and the east Africans bread with everyone from the Vikings to the Berbers. Egyptians decended from Ethiopians according to Ethiopian legend when 10,000 years ago a meteor hit what was supposed to be a 500,000 person city in the area of what is now Lake Tana in Ethiopia. Some survivors went north and created Egypt and others went south and created the different cultures in Ethiopia. I don't know about the city or migration but the impact site is there and wreckage of the city still exists to today north of Lake Tana and the DNA evidence adds a lot of credibility to the Idea.
Just saying.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hvl View Post
Maybe afrocentrism has become more sophisticated.
Back when I was into it, it was definitely about Egyptians being black people of the same type as african-americans. It was also "Hannibal was black, Cleopatra was black, Hebrews were black, a 3rd of the Roman Senate were Black". Anyone remembers that guy Runoko Rashidi, he of "black viking norwegians, black chinese, black japanese, black everything!" fame ?
On my other main forum, we are no longer allowed to discuss the genetics of the Egyptians, they now immediately ban people for promoting ethnocentric agendas, and BlackVikings/Olmecs/Hannibal pop up on regular basis.

I just find it comical that this thread has become so violently contentious and long-lived as two thirds of the posters claim that that they are not arguing and nobody cares.

Old 01-20-2014, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe33 View Post
My parents were Ethiopian (Tigray and Amahara). I can trace my history back more than 300 years.
I was involved in a DNA test of more than 30,000 Ethiopians and Eqyptians and I have only 20% West African DNA like all the other Ethiopians. Our DNA is almost exactly the same as Egyptian. They have MORE European DNA. The majority of our DNA is European with 10% that comes from somewhere else. Good question where. Just Ethiopian DNA. My mother you would almost think was from India by her appearance and my father was light skinned black with green eyes.
I am a dark blond blue eyed white guy. Genetics plays funny tricks sometimes. But there are other blond haired blue eyed people in my family from time to time such as my mothers grandfather. But he was also Ethiopian. Not a European.
What im trying to say is that West Africans and East Africans (north Africans) are not the same people. Their DNA diverged 250,000 years ago and the east Africans bread with everyone from the Vikings to the Berbers. Egyptians decended from Ethiopians according to Ethiopian legend when 10,000 years ago a meteor hit what was supposed to be a 500,000 person city in the area of what is now Lake Tana in Ethiopia. Some survivors went north and created Egypt and others went south and created the different cultures in Ethiopia. I don't know about the city or migration but the impact site is there and wreckage of the city still exists to today north of Lake Tana and the DNA evidence adds a lot of credibility to the Idea.
Just saying.
Bingo. Not only are they genetically very different, but they are culturally very different. Again, this is not to say that West Africa is in some way inferior, it just doesn't have much connection. We have sen some of the examples postulated as connections on this thread, and they are sparse indeed.

Ethiopia, by the way, is to me, one of the most amazing places in the world. Someday I want to see Aksum and Lalibella.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:16 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,329,360 times
Quote:
Let me start of my saying that I am a white man and an incredible fan of Ghana, Mali, Songhai, Kanem,-Bornu, the Nok, Tichitt-Walata, Chengueti, Oudani, Audoghost, Nsibidi, Adrinka, Ajami, Timbuktu, Gao, Djenno djenne, Djenne proper, the Benin empire. the Oyo empire, the Hausa-Fulani states, the Ashanti empire, the Benin city walls, Sungbo's Eredu, and Loropeni, and all else that is West African. I think it can truly be said that there is a real historical Niger River civilization cycle that can studied with great admiration.

In that context, my question is, why is it that "Afrocentrists," who are largely comprised of African Americans, are obsessed with Egypt?

African Americans are descended from 13 African counties in west and central African. There are statistically no African Americans of Egyptian descent what-so-ever. Modern Egyptians are thought to be by geneticists almost identical to the ancients. The ancients had demonstrably ( by both art and mummies) lighter skin, and finer features. Egyptian haplotypes are a mix of North African (not sub-Saharan) and West Asian.

but the question of whether the "original" Egyptians are "black" (they weren't) is moot. they are culturally vastly different anyway. No African American has an ancestor that built a pyramid or wrote in hieroglyphic. They had great ancestors that built fine stone cities and wrote in Ajami, but they were not Egyptian.

Arocentrics like to argue that Europeans all trace their ancestry back to the Greeks and Romans, and thus they should be able to claim Egypt, but Common European ancestry is real, whereas African is not. When the Untied States was formed, our founding fathers debated the merits of Greek democracy against Roman Republicanism. There is no similar debate regarding modern Africa dictatorships vis a vis pharaohonic god-king rule (and what would be the difference?).

I can prove that the Ancient Egyptians are the same as today's largely Caucasoid looking Egyptians in any debate. Eurasians back-migrated into north Africa before historical times, and even the Africans that stayed in Africa evolved to look more Eurasian. There simply was no large "black" population in Egypt in historical times.

Where are the pyramids and hieroglyphic tests in West Africa if they are so closely related?

Ancient Egypt, regardless of race (and they weren't black), has no connection what-so-ever to Africa Americans.
According to many stupid Afrocentrists, EVERYBODY is black. LOL.

Look at this thread where more afrocentrist pseudohistory drivel is being pushed.

Sadly many Afrocentric schools are being created which is even more dangerous and damaging to the human mind and hive mind collective school of thoughts. OH THE HORROR! smh

Look at this thread where this bull**** is being promoted and perpetuated. They're claiming that Egypt and other places are BLACK and other Afrocentric hogwash:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/histo...tes-black.html

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 01-21-2014 at 03:41 AM..

Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM

Location: Formerly NYC by week; ATL by weekend...now Rio bi annually and ATL bi annually
1,522 posts, read 2,247,519 times
Quote:
Let me start of my saying that I am a white man and an incredible fan of Ghana, Mali, Songhai, Kanem,-Bornu, the Nok, Tichitt-Walata, Chengueti, Oudani, Audoghost, Nsibidi, Adrinka, Ajami, Timbuktu, Gao, Djenno djenne, Djenne proper, the Benin empire. the Oyo empire, the Hausa-Fulani states, the Ashanti empire, the Benin city walls, Sungbo's Eredu, and Loropeni, and all else that is West African. I think it can truly be said that there is a real historical Niger River civilization cycle that can studied with great admiration.

In that context, my question is, why is it that "Afrocentrists," who are largely comprised of African Americans, are obsessed with Egypt?

African Americans are descended from 13 African counties in west and central African. There are statistically no African Americans of Egyptian descent what-so-ever. Modern Egyptians are thought to be by geneticists almost identical to the ancients. The ancients had demonstrably ( by both art and mummies) lighter skin, and finer features. Egyptian haplotypes are a mix of North African (not sub-Saharan) and West Asian.

but the question of whether the "original" Egyptians are "black" (they weren't) is moot. they are culturally vastly different anyway. No African American has an ancestor that built a pyramid or wrote in hieroglyphic. They had great ancestors that built fine stone cities and wrote in Ajami, but they were not Egyptian.

Arocentrics like to argue that Europeans all trace their ancestry back to the Greeks and Romans, and thus they should be able to claim Egypt, but Common European ancestry is real, whereas African is not. When the Untied States was formed, our founding fathers debated the merits of Greek democracy against Roman Republicanism. There is no similar debate regarding modern Africa dictatorships vis a vis pharaohonic god-king rule (and what would be the difference?).

I can prove that the Ancient Egyptians are the same as today's largely Caucasoid looking Egyptians in any debate. Eurasians back-migrated into north Africa before historical times, and even the Africans that stayed in Africa evolved to look more Eurasian. There simply was no large "black" population in Egypt in historical times.

Where are the pyramids and hieroglyphic tests in West Africa if they are so closely related?

Ancient Egypt, regardless of race (and they weren't black), has no connection what-so-ever to Africa Americans.
Due this is rubberish and propaganda......and I am PRETTY sure you have no basis for that copy/pasted statement. I have never heard anyone of color in the U.S. sensationalize the fact that Americans of color claim Egypt. And whom are you and the author to determine what their lineage is?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa