Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Africa
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2014, 03:27 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,322,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Also, it may have to with who is enamored with the latter versus the former too.

As for another post, it was mentioned that there weren't Black people in Egypt. Here is the entry on Ramses III: Ramesses III - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Africa has always been diverse and we see it in the petrroglyphs of the Sahara. Kmt means the land of the black soil, and Ta Mry means the tilled land. Civilization did not start in Tanzania or Uganda where they were still in the Hunter Gatherer stage when the Nile Valley was settled. In fact the Saharan cultures predate that of the Nile. It was Saharan culture that would spawn both the Nubian and Egyptian cultures. The Axum cultures would come later.

Old 01-15-2014, 06:31 PM

1,267 posts, read 3,074,313 times
I personally think West African and Sub Saharan Africans ( Where alot of Black americans came from) had more to do with Egypt than Anglo Saxon (Where most white Americans came from). Why can't Blacks admire the Egyptians but the Anglo Saxons can admire Latins and Greeks?

Why is this endless debate still going on?

I think it is natural for one to read about and learn from where you descent from and the surrounding regions.

For example i am reading about Portugal, France, and Italy even though my ancestors have nothing to do with those countries.

Old 01-15-2014, 07:22 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,170,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
And he is still at it, contributing absolutely nothing of value to the thread.
Speaking about yourself? Wow...lol.

Old 01-15-2014, 10:18 PM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almeida93 View Post
I personally think West African and Sub Saharan Africans ( Where alot of Black americans came from) had more to do with Egypt than Anglo Saxon (Where most white Americans came from). Why can't Blacks admire the Egyptians but the Anglo Saxons can admire Latins and Greeks?

I think it is natural for one to read about and learn from where you descent from and the surrounding regions.

For example i am reading about Portugal, France, and Italy even though my ancestors have nothing to do with those countries.
I agree with what you are saying, just want to clear up that most white Americans are not of Anglo Saxon descent (and, while at it, a large percentage of AA's have some Anglo Saxon blood mixed in too as well as other European blood.)

Look at this map to see what is the predominant ancestry in all US counties. You should notice that outside of New England, in the northeastern corner, Anglo Saxon ancestry is in the minority.

Census 2000 Data Top US Ancestries by County Map

Old 01-16-2014, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Please go back and read my previous posts again and you will find out that you didn't debunk anything I said. Until you can do that, please don't reply to me on this subject matter.
Yawn. ZZZzzzzzzzzz You don't have anything intelligent or worthwhile or worth any value to say. Smh. None of what you say is even worth being said. Not adding anything constructive. GTFOHWTBS. ****ing ******

BYE.

Last edited by MelismaticEchoes; 01-16-2014 at 03:29 AM..

Old 01-16-2014, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonioR View Post
I agree with what you are saying, just want to clear up that most white Americans are not of Anglo Saxon descent (and, while at it, a large percentage of AA's have some Anglo Saxon blood mixed in too as well as other European blood.)

Look at this map to see what is the predominant ancestry in all US counties. You should notice that outside of New England, in the northeastern corner, Anglo Saxon ancestry is in the minority.

You should get the 2010 results. It would be interesting to see any shift in dynamics over the years between the previous and most recent censuses.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:51 AM

Quote:

Also, what exactly constitutes Anglo-Saxon? Technically all Americans of ALL races would be Anglo-Saxons/Brittanic/Germanic in the same manner that all people of all races from Spanish speaking countries are grouped together as Hispanics/Latinos.

Old 01-16-2014, 03:12 AM

4,660 posts, read 4,118,499 times
Quote:
I personally think West African and Sub Saharan Africans ( Where alot of Black americans came from) had more to do with Egypt than Anglo Saxon (Where most white Americans came from). .
Neither West African nor Anglo Saxons had anything to do with Egypt.

Quote:
Why can't Blacks admire the Egyptians but the Anglo Saxons can admire Latins and Greeks? .
We have already addressed this is great detail. I will give you the short version and say that it is not a matter of "admiring." Afrocentrists claim direct decent from Egypt which they do not have.

Quote:
Because the idea that West Africans came from Egypt is still out here- you yourself believe it.

Quote:
Virtually no Americans descend from Egypt. The problem is that they are being taught that they do. Again, we are not atalking about a passing interest, but anti-history.

Quote:
Excellent. I just got done reading Ibn Battuta even though I am not African. Having interst is fine. I tis not what we are talking about here.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:17 AM

10,072 posts, read 14,952,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
You should get the 2010 results. It would be interesting to see any shift in dynamics over the years between the previous and most recent censuses.
It would be interesting, but it will not change my message.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Also, what exactly constitutes Anglo-Saxon? Technically all Americans of ALL races would be Anglo-Saxons/Brittanic/Germanic in the same manner that all people of all races from Spanish speaking countries are grouped together as Hispanics/Latinos.
Not to continue with the off topic, but in the USA Anglo-Saxon is usually used to refer to people of British and Irish descent. US Americans often make the mistake of assuming that only white people are of Anglo-Saxon origin, and much worse that most white people in the USA descend from them. The reality is that most white people in the USA are not of Anglo-Saxon origin and there are millions of African Americans and US Americans of other ethnic mixes that are too of Anglo-Saxon descent but people have a hard time accepting this.

And the reason people of all races from Spanish speaking countries are grouped together as Spanish/Hispanics/Latinos is because in colonial times, the Spanish constitution considered everyone (minus the slaves, who for most of the colonial period were a minority in most Spanish colonies because most people of color were free) born and living within its domain as Spanish nationals. Even the indigenous population (Indians, Native Americans or however you call them) were Spanish nationals. This is the reason when people from Spanish America started to migrate to the USA, US Americans referred to them as "Spanish people" even if they were not white. Officially they are categorized as Hispanic, but it actually means the same as Spanish, because Hispanic is derived from Hispania and that is the Latin name for Spain.

Old 01-16-2014, 09:54 AM
hvl

403 posts, read 551,803 times
Quote:
It would be interesting, but it will not change my message.

Not to continue with the off topic, but in the USA Anglo-Saxon is usually used to refer to people of British and Irish descent. US Americans often make the mistake of assuming that only white people are of Anglo-Saxon origin, and much worse that most white people in the USA descend from them. The reality is that most white people in the USA are not of Anglo-Saxon origin and there are millions of African Americans and US Americans of other ethnic mixes that are too of Anglo-Saxon descent but people have a hard time accepting this.
Irish as Anglo-Saxons ? I'm not sure many of them would be happy about that, for obvious historical reasons, given that the English or Brits have historically treated them very badly.

Imho, Anglo-Saxons are people of predominantly English ancestry. Technically it shouldn't include
ancestry from Scotland and Wales but in practice, I guess it does.

Ethnic self-identification surveys indicate that German is the biggest self-identified White ethnicity in the USA. There are also self-identified Scandinavians and Italians and Slavs and others. There are still quite a few British White americans but they tend to call themselves "american". This is particularly common among the folks known as Scots-Irish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.