Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 07:46 AM

132 posts, read 174,900 times

Advertisements

Okay its not paradise here truth. There is hardly any culture and there are tons and tons of tourists. That said, its nice out here most of the time. I don't even find the summers that bad ( weather wise). To put it in perspective, weather would be comparable to Jacksonville area.
The traffic sucks bad. Once you get used to it, you find those short cuts, best times to drive etc.
Cost of living is low. Every restaurant you can think of is here. Not much in the way of good stores. I miss Northern shopping.
I understand schools are not up to Northern standards, but maybe do research into different school areas and pick the best one suited to you.
One thing I hate here is lack of good medical care. When I say good I mean big , research type facilities and good doctors. They don't even have to be board certified here, that's scary. However, I hear Florida is also lacking in great healthcare.
One nice thing is most people are transplants so we are all in the same boat. If you move inland.....you will find it different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2018, 09:06 AM

29 posts, read 49,844 times
We have a 2nd home in MB. Other than the high summer season, I couldn’t imagine living here in a million years. Visit in the off season, November thru February. Lots of businesses shut down. There is a strange atmosphere, the hotels area looks cheap and rundown. There’s also a lot of crime here.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:15 PM

231 posts, read 156,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little River girl View Post
We have a 2nd home in MB. Other than the high summer season, I couldn’t imagine living here in a million years. Visit in the off season, November thru February. Lots of businesses shut down. There is a strange atmosphere, the hotels area looks cheap and rundown. There’s also a lot of crime here.

We vacationed in MB for 30 years, 2 times a week at the least.

Lived in MB for 2 years.

Now live in Florida and in our opinion life in MB overall is better.
People are rude, aggressive and very unfriendly.

We moved here for a few reasons but looking to move back to MB in the near future.

Quality of life was much better in MB. People are much nicer and not so hateful and aggressive like they are in Florida.

MB off season always had closed businesses for years but the season has grown and less and less businesses closed.

Housing cost in MB are a steal compared to Florida.

Many older hotels are renovating. Ocean Blvd is getting cleaned up a lot.

If you do not like MB at all why spend 6 months there?

Crime-- totally skewed because its a tourist area. Most crimes by map happen withing a short range of space within the MB proper.

Old 03-01-2018, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachangel View Post
Okay its not paradise here truth. There is hardly any culture and there are tons and tons of tourists. That said, its nice out here most of the time. I don't even find the summers that bad ( weather wise). To put it in perspective, weather would be comparable to Jacksonville area.
The traffic sucks bad. Once you get used to it, you find those short cuts, best times to drive etc.
Cost of living is low. Every restaurant you can think of is here. Not much in the way of good stores. I miss Northern shopping.
I understand schools are not up to Northern standards, but maybe do research into different school areas and pick the best one suited to you.
One thing I hate here is lack of good medical care. When I say good I mean big , research type facilities and good doctors. They don't even have to be board certified here, that's scary. However, I hear Florida is also lacking in great healthcare.
One nice thing is most people are transplants so we are all in the same boat. If you move inland.....you will find it different.
Florida medical sucks completely. Bad doctors and a select few good hospitals.

Overall quality of life is important. We have lived in 4 states and feel MB is overall the best quality of life of them all.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:14 PM

Mark 59
Why don’t you like Florida?

Old 03-04-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Mark 59
Why don’t you like Florida?

The people.

Weather and never ending things to do here in Florida but the people.

Rude and aggressive people everywhere.

No sense of community.

Florida is the melting pot of the world so I do not expect everyone to be the same but
man people here are just flat out hateful people.

Love the weather and things to do but at some point we will be leaving Florida.

Old 03-05-2018, 07:05 AM

Are the people mostly transplants? Rude New Yorkers ? It’s my dream to live in Fla. Are you in a development? I’m just curious. You should’nt be forced to move because of a__holes!

Old 03-06-2018, 09:02 AM

1 posts, read 1,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Nomad View Post
Hi, We are a family of four that currently live in central Florida. After moving down here from up north we cannot stand it anymore! 2 years of the humidity, lack of culture, flat lands, and horrible economy! We are fed up and have family in Myrtle Beach that have offered there home to us for a few weeks to check things out for a possible move to the area. We have visited a few times but not for very long and always enjoy our time here but .... I wanted to ask locals what is day to day life like in MB? Hows the culture? COL seems good? Economy I know looks a bit tough but where is'nt it tough these days? how are public schools? online ive read some hit and miss grade scores ..... I'm coming to look for work doing just about anything to get us on our feet in the area. I then plan on starting a small business that I have done for the past few years once I can feel out the area. We enjoy the beach, small town feelings, family fun nearby, and a state that lets me freely support the 2nd ammendment! (Yes I am a CWPC! and Proud!) ... So if anyone can shed some light on any of my questions I would be most grateful! Thank You!!!
I agree 100% with you about Central Florida. Relocated here from Jersey 5 years ago for baseball & college for my son and we hate it here!! Everything you said is on point but you forget about the hurricanes. I can't imagine that Myrtle Beach/Horry County can in any way be as bad as Florida.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Are the people mostly transplants? Rude New Yorkers ? It’s my dream to live in Fla. Are you in a development? I’m just curious. You should’nt be forced to move because of a__holes!
Yes, it is called a melting pot for that.

Yes, many very rude NY and NJ transplants here. But, many are not rude too.

Yes, we live in a very nice gated community with newer homes.

It is not within my community, anywhere you go you will run into aggressive drivers, flipping you the bird, calling you names, screaming out the windows, they do not stop at stop signs here, constantly run red lights etc. But the driving is just part of it.

People here are extremely over the top when it comes to being rude.

The largest issue for me is the people but also the huge amount of sprawl and run down areas.

Sad areas like ours are well kept and beautiful but a few miles down the road in any direction is sprawl.

Florida has tons to offer, beauty, things to do, amazing year around weather etc if you can handle the people.

We will move in time only because we want to have the feel of a "homey" atmosphere which is hard to come by here. No sense of community, pride etc.

Just today we were out and approached by a well dressed lady who wanted us to sign a petition to raise minimum wage to 15.00 per hour for everywhere.

She was not smart enough to understand not everyone is worth 15.00 per hour and if you do this you will kill tons of jobs right away.

You cannot pay a burger flipper 15.00, plain and simple.

She became rude and nasty so I told her no sense in discussing because you have never owned a business, never paid anyone to do anything and dont understand money or economics.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:53 PM

Quote:

Since we have lived in both Myrtle Beach and Florida we like MB much better.

So we are looking to move back to MB in the future.

Our decision is based on MB being so much better then the places we have lived in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area