Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 08:08 PM

166 posts, read 190,651 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neecewh View Post
Interesting choice of words. Dr Tesla, if you are on the Myrtle Beach CD forum and you don't “get” PawleysDude, than you must not be from around these parts. Frankly, I find it hard to imagine someone not takin' a likin' to my friend PD, but I think he would be ok with you not being ate up by nice, he is a southern gentleman ya know.

To the OP:

I love it here, but I am not sure there is enough that is different from what you are speaking of to make it work for you (with the exception of your gun rights). You mention humidity, lack of culture, flat lands, and horrible economy. You aren’t going to find too many people who would say this is a thriving, dry, rolling hilled, cultural hot spot. Does it have other great things? Absolutely! But, it is not unlike what you described as not liking about Florida. Again, I love it here, but I love it despite those things.

I hope you will check back in and let us know what you thought after your trip.
it seems like he'd be happier in some far left blue city in a blue state. SC isn't good enough for him as he will tell you, over and over and over and over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 09:43 AM

2,614 posts, read 5,835,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTesla35 View Post
it seems like he'd be happier in some far left blue city in a blue state...
Well dadgummit, I always miss all the phun around here. My dear Dr Tesla, if I have offended your conservative sensibilities, please accept my humble apologies. I know you wouldn't want me to be upset, so I promise not to lose any sleep over it. I'm afraid you misinterpret my criticism of SC. Being born and raised in SC, it is near and dear to my heart. I just see the myriad of opportunities for SC to be so much more than it is. This state reminds me of my dear departed uncle who used to show up at all our family reunions - loud, stubborn, narrow-minded, uncouth, obnoxious and embarrassing. Still, we had to luv and accept him cause he was family. I will plead guilty to not being a big fan of the new-generation Myrtle Beach, but that's another story.

And yes, BTW, my comment to tmozer regarding gun ownership was meant to be sarcasm. I think most pholks picked up on that, but I apologize again for being too subtle for you to get it. I happen to own several handguns and rifles, along with a ccw permit. I just don't obsess over it like so many in this state.

I recognize that you and I live in two very different worlds. Pawleys Island is eat up with a multitude of tea baggers and other similar-thinking card-carrying conservative old ferts with views similar to yours. Neither of us are going to change the other. For that reason, I won't waste my time or yours responding to your prolific diatribes on CD. But please feel free to continue your personal attacks. I have been attacked many times on here by many who were far more skilled at it than you are.

Thank you shabbycasa and neecie. Your kind words warm the cockles of my tired old cold shamelessly liberal heart. (Or should that be shamefully liberal heart? )

Old 06-20-2013, 05:12 PM

253 posts, read 470,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
Thank you shabbycasa and neecie. Your kind words warm the cockles of my tired old cold shamelessly liberal heart. (Or should that be shamefully liberal heart? )
It was my pleasure to speak on your behalf, pawleysdude

You are one of the ones on here that I so enjoy reading. If we can't poke fun once in a while, what's the point of living?

Living in Texas (and teaching at a conservative place between Dallas and Austin) has made me more of a "shamefully liberal" woman than I was when I left my home state of SC, and I'm darned proud of it - keep on being shameless!

Old 06-21-2013, 12:51 PM

66 posts, read 157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
It was my pleasure to speak on your behalf, pawleysdude

You are one of the ones on here that I so enjoy reading. If we can't poke fun once in a while, what's the point of living?

Living in Texas (and teaching at a conservative place between Dallas and Austin) has made me more of a "shamefully liberal" woman than I was when I left my home state of SC, and I'm darned proud of it - keep on being shameless!

I agree wholehardedly - I have always enjoyed pawleysdude's opinion and I hope he keeps them coming. I'm coming down to visit in mid-July and I hope that I can pick both of your brains for suggestions and advice.

Old 06-21-2013, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee BBQ Boy View Post
I'm coming down to visit in mid-July and I hope that I can pick both of your brains for suggestions and advice.
BBQ Boy...I'm still stuck in Texas, but I know PawleysDude can give you great suggestions - wish I could come down this year, but gotta save money for the big move to MB in January 2015 - whoo-hoo!!

Old 06-21-2013, 04:51 PM

66 posts, read 157,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbycasa View Post
BBQ Boy...I'm still stuck in Texas, but I know PawleysDude can give you great suggestions - wish I could come down this year, but gotta save money for the big move to MB in January 2015 - whoo-hoo!!
You might be stuck in Texas but at least you have some good BBQ brisket down there.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee BBQ Boy View Post
You might be stuck in Texas but at least you have some good BBQ brisket down there.
Yes, we do, but I so miss the mustard-based pork BBQ too!! And the horrible-for-your-heart hash and rice...yummmmmy! Of course, there are the ever delicious boiled peanuts that I have to buy in a CAN here in Texas!

Texas-sized steaks (Angus) are delicious and I'll miss the real Mexican food we get here as well! A lot to love about Texas, but shortcomings as well (but then again, what area doesn't have its issues!). Enjoy the beach!!

Old 06-22-2013, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 10,962 times
wow looks like MB is off my retirement relocation list ..bends down and kisses the New York ground!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:11 PM

29 posts, read 49,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTyankee54 View Post
I've never lived in central FL but I agree to some extent with PD, it's hot and humid, flat and limited job opportunities here as well. As far as culture, it depends on what you're looking for...if you're looking for world class museums, ballet, opera, etc., you're not going to find that here. But you will find some very talented local productions, some surprisingly talented high school productions, a pretty good orchestra as well as the touristy shows.

My suggestion is that when you come for a few weeks to stay in your relative's house, spend the entire time looking around. Do not go to any of the tourist attractions, do not go to the beach, do not act like you're on vacation, etc. Act like you're moving to a place you've never been before. Buy the local paper every day and look through the ads, things to do (published inside the front page each day), read the local section...every story to see what's going on as far as good things and bad. Visit the grocery stores, schools, churches, try some restaurants away from the beach, visit some different neighborhoods that might interest you and stop people who are out for a walk and ask them the good/bad things about their neighborhood. Living here is very different than vacationing here...you can only afford to go to the touristy places so much and it becomes boring after awhile anyway.

As far as your question about what's daily life like here...well it's different for everyone based on their likes/dislikes but for us we enjoy the free concerts during the summer, the local concerts at the vineyard in Little River, we enjoy the friends that we've made, going to local theater productions in Conway, high school musical productions in Carolina Forest and Socastee (we're empty nesters but still enjoy good HS productions), occasional dinner on the beach, spending a weekend day at the beach, u-pick berry patches, roadside farmers stands, golf, walking in our neighborhood and talking with the neighbors, sitting on the back porch watching the hawks, and enjoying life.

What don't we like...the longer hot/humid summers, tourist traffic (but knowing the backroads will help avoid most of it), longer lines at restaurants in the summer, Food, homeowners insurance and electric cost more than where we came from. There's not much more we don't like.

As far as schools, there are good schools and bad schools. Horry County schools, in general, get pretty good marks. Here's a rating of schools Horry - EAA School Report Cards 2012 and here's the Horry County schools general report http://www.horrycountyschools.net/fi...web_layout.pdf Pick the right place to live based on what you want in a school.

Hope this helps some. Ask more specific questions if you have them.
I have some questions to ask about relocating. We owned a condo in Little River 6 yrs ago, bought and sold 2 yrs later. Now we are looking to buy again, but in MB or surrounding areas. You seem to know a lot about the area. What do you think about owning say in Murrells Inlet, or the Market Common area. Would so appreciate the opinions of some full time residents.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:34 PM

790 posts, read 1,626,205 times
I'm not a big fan of Market Commons primarily because most of the single family housing is very close together and you get less for your money than other areas. However, for those who want the life style that the Market Commons was designed for, it is very nice...just not for us.

Others on this board are more qualified than I am to comment on Murrells Inlet because they live closer than I do. We prefer to live closer to MB so that we can take advantage of the entertainment, shopping and other conveniences that MB offers. When we were looking for housing, we felt that Murrells Inlet was too far from MB for our tastes, but it IS a very nice area.

If you are looking to relocate permanently, I would think MI would be better (depending on your tastes). If you're looking for a place to live for awhile and then sell as an investment, the Market Commons might be a better choice. It depends on what your ultimate goal is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area