Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 04:27 PM

10 posts, read 39,578 times

Advertisements

I'm a single female living on Long Island and looking to relocate to the Carolinas in the future upon retirement, which should hopefully be within the next 8 to 10 years. I've been told that it's time to start looking. I have fallen in love with Myrtle Beach, but would prefer to be located on the outskirts to the north. I think condo living is the option for me and I have been checking into North Myrtle Beach, Little River, and Calabash. Photos of Little River remind me a lot of local ports and marinas on the Island. Wherever I end up, I need to be near the ocean. Any suggestions or tips?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2007, 05:37 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,974,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missprint1 View Post
I'm a single female living on Long Island and looking to relocate to the Carolinas in the future upon retirement, which should hopefully be within the next 8 to 10 years. I've been told that it's time to start looking. I have fallen in love with Myrtle Beach, but would prefer to be located on the outskirts to the north. I think condo living is the option for me and I have been checking into North Myrtle Beach, Little River, and Calabash. Photos of Little River remind me a lot of local ports and marinas on the Island. Wherever I end up, I need to be near the ocean. Any suggestions or tips?
You and me both but I can't wait that long, I want to go now.

Old 06-29-2007, 07:35 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,796,299 times
My suggestion is to visit these areas before making a decision, if you can. Also, check the insurance rates because they have gone up a lot on condos near the water. If you can buy now and maybe rent your property until you move, would probably be a good idea. The prices are going down and it's a buyers market, as we all know.

Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 PM

29 posts, read 108,089 times
Like you, I like Myrtle Beach but feel it's too busy so we wanted north of it. We will be as far north in North Myrtle Beach as one could get. Tidewater has condos and homes, has lots of amenities. My friend lives in Little River in a community called Windjammer Village (we own lot there) homes are reasonably priced. Can't wait to leave Northern Westchester County NY.
Good luck

Old 07-01-2007, 10:53 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,885,415 times
I like N. Myrtle too. but it is hard for me to compare it to LI. I have a friend who lives in Sunset Beach and I thought it was nice there also.

Here is a sight that I found helpful when I was looking around, it is like a beginner's giude to coastal carolina: Carolina Living - Coast

For me, I lived in Nassau County on the beach, I fell in love with the South Strand. Litchfield & Pawleys Island reminds me of the south shore of LI 30years ago. There is nice mixture of family communities and mature adult communities (not necessarily retirement, but few kids). There is alot of golf (which brings in the money people) and many other activities are based on the natural resources (fishing/boating).

Old 07-29-2007, 01:38 PM

7 posts, read 30,219 times
Default You will have to learn to " shag "

You will love the North Myrtle Beach area, but visit and enjoy Fat Harolds and Ducks on Main Street , NMB. Sit and watch the Shaggers dance and you will be hooked. Then you might want to take some lessons!!

You are a lucky girl to love that area and be able to move there.

Tansi

Old 08-19-2007, 01:52 PM

I'd love to go now also..... before the snow starts coming in!. Unfortunately, I need that pension to get me there. lol.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:58 PM

Excellent suggestion. I will be in the area next May and hope to do some searching. I've started looking now because of the recent market situation.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Well it's good to know that I will have some "New York" company when I get there! Thanks for the info.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 6,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missprint1 View Post
I wouldn't suggest Little River -- I would suggest ANY ocean front town in Brunswick County though! Calabash is great..I actually used to live there. Small town thinking though -- will be quite a change from LI!

I'm originally from NJ so we were pratically neighbors! I have family in Massapequa, Baldwin and even out in Bohemia!

I live in NC now ... near Raleigh. Always here to talk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area