Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 PM

10 posts, read 39,595 times

Advertisements

I know what you mean about the South Strand. But my daughter and the rest of my family will still be on Long Island and I don't want to go too much further away. It's a tough decision as it is to leave everyone behind. But now that you have suggested the area and compared it to the south shore of L.I., I suppose I will have to check it out. Any area that will remind me of the beauty of L.I. would certainly be an attraction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2007, 02:15 PM

I'm curious as to why you nix Little River. Funny you should suggest Calabash though. My cousin has a condo there and loves it. But he only uses it as a vacation place 3 or 4 times a year for golfing. Also funny that you should mention Massapequa. I grew up in North Massapequa! Lived there until I got married and moved out to Centereach.

Old 08-19-2007, 02:17 PM

I'm definitely a girl who likes to dance. I plan to be down that way next May, so I will definitely check these places out. Thanks.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:03 AM

412 posts, read 1,029,990 times
Missprint1, you may want to buy now while the market is on your side. Once it turns to a seller's market the prices should start creeping up again.

If you are able to buy now, locate a condo that can be leased out (not all associations allow this so you would want to check the by-laws) lease it for the 8-10 years. When your ready to make the move you will have a condo that the value should have risen to the 2015 or 2017 market, while buying at today's rates. Plus your renter will have paid down the mortgage for the 8-10 years producing you more equity, plus you enjoy the write off as well.

Just a thought.

Old 08-20-2007, 05:31 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,978,341 times
Has anyone been on that Hickman road between N Myrtle Beach on the way to Shallotte? What a beautiful area, lots of nice subdivisions and just a real pretty area.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:53 PM

93 posts, read 311,010 times
Hi Missprint1,

Anytime is a good time to look but unfortunately now may not be the best time to buy. We're in the first leg of the decline in real estate. It looks like a rough road ahead. The grand strand is flooded with condos and properties for sale and the foreclosures are just starting to pile up.

It's true that you could buy and lease your property out but unless you know what you're doing it could end up being a bigger hassle than it's worth. Plus, if it's such a great deal to buy condos and lease them out to make mortgage payments then it seems that all the realtors would be doing that instead of trying to sell them.

Best of luck to you.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:17 PM

543 posts, read 2,367,942 times
Pawleys Island is a very nice area. Very quiet.

Old 08-10-2008, 01:39 PM

35 posts, read 140,575 times
Can you tell me if Pawley's Island has a rural feel? My husband and I are retiring in a yr or so--NJ teachers--and we live in a lovely mid-Jersey rural area now, but are looking for something small with a view. Any suggestions?

Old 08-10-2008, 09:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,921 times
Post Myrtle Beach NEVER NEVER MOVE THERE-Horry County

Started visiting Myrtle Beach about 4 years ago fell in love with it. Was lucky or so we thought, enough to purchase a house . BIG BIG MISTAKE Horry county passed a bill that went into effect May 1, 2007 that tripled our property taxes . We signed our contract April 2007. Had we known this bill was going to be passed we would not have bought the house. We cannot even sale our house because the property taxes are so high

Old 08-10-2008, 11:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 8,887,592 times
Soontoretire.... many areas of Pawleys are subdivided into planned communities and don't have that rural feel. However, there are still quite a few areas that may fit your description. The Hagley neighborhood is still very wooded although the Founders Club golf course cuts through the eastern sections. Other areas along the South Causeway are still quite rural.

Please note... anything "with a view" of the water can be expensive.

You may want to consider some of the newer developments underway in Georgetown County, like "River House (http://www.thelitchfieldcompany.com/communities.cfm - broken link)".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area