Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:19 PM

2 posts, read 11,931 times

Advertisements

[FONT=Verdana]Hi everyone![/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana]My husband just got a job offer to work in Myrtle Beach and so we have begun our search for a home and a SAFE place to live. We are coming from a super clean and very safe town in Southern California and have been thrown for a loop after reading about the crime stats in and around Myrtle Beach. I have read some pretty horrible things about the city itself, and even found an article where it was listed as the 15th most dangerous city in the U.S.! Besides the scary stats that I have seen, I read blog after blog about nothing but bad things. I know that personal blogs can be skewed, but that with all the stone facts I have read are equaling out to be very alarming. I found the small community of Little River and want to know a bit more about it and living there? It seems much safer and nicer than MB so far. Good schools, jobs, safety, etc... Also, is Myrtle Beach really as bad as what I have read? This job offer is wonderful but nothing that we can't pass up if MB is going to cause us nothing but trouble and worry. Also, would crossing over into NC be better to go for living purposes? I need any advice, north, south or east on where we can live and be HAPPY and SAFE. We are no stranger to a commute, so up to 45 mins or so would be just fine to Myrtle Beach. I am scared to death to even visit MB now. Please help!! We don't have kids yet, but plan on starting a family very soon. Thanks!![/FONT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2012, 05:50 AM

29 posts, read 160,263 times
I can only speak for myself but I have never felt unsafe here going about my daily business. I attended Coastal Carolina and have lived in Myrtle Beach just over ten years. I have lived in the surrounding areas of MB and also right in downtown a half block off the boulevard/beach. I wouldn't want to live in downtown MB again, only because I know what great areas surround it. I can't answer much on Little River as I have not spent much time there. I think the crime rate is so high in comparison to what a small city MB is. It has to do a lot with going back to the basics....locking your car, your home...although you should probably do that any city you live in. Don't put yourself in possibly dangerous situations like walking alone on the beach or boulevard at night, and you should be fine. I would recommend looking at areas like Carolina Forest, Surfside Beach, and Murrells Inlet, all of which are close driving distance to work in MB.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:33 AM

108 posts, read 227,443 times
I have lived in Little River since December and owned a vacation home in LR for 8 years prior to making the move. I have always felt safe here, even when we drive to Myrtle Beach to visit friends or restaurants. There does seem to be more crime in the center of MB but it is mostly during late hours when I would not feel safe walking anywhere. I think the crime stats are in part reflective of the large number of people who vacation here compared to the number of year round residents. It always amazes me as to how good the local police seem to be as they invariably find the culprit of many of these petty crimes as reported in following days or weeks newspaper. There are many lovely developments both north and south of MB proper and within MB itself. You may be amazed at what you can purchase for housing compared to California prices. Come and visit for yourself.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:18 PM

790 posts, read 1,622,232 times
Most of the crime stats in MB are driven by the fact that people on vacation leave their brains at home and do things on vacation that they would never do in their own towns...going walking alone at 3am, making "friends" at a bar and inviting them back to their hotel room at 3am, etc. MB does have a couple of bad areas but most of the crime is driven by people doing dumb things that put them at risk and all that crime gets factored into the stats of the permanent resident numbers which are pretty small (30K permanent residents vs millions of visitors).

Little River is a good area with less crime because it's not as touristy. But, it is also somewhat rural so be aware of that as you make decisions. I would strongly encourage you to visit and explore the area before committing to any specific community to live in. You also should consider renting before buying. We rented first to ensure that we liked the community that we chose and it was the right thing to do to avoid making a bad choice.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM

35 posts, read 76,381 times
I have been in Little River for just over a month now. My husband is a retired LEO and he had reservations because of the crime statitics also but you higher crime stats in any resort town. After speaking with many locals and just living in this area we decided this is the area for us. I feel very safe here. My husband and I are renting for a year before buying as is strongly suggested in this forum. The intention was to rent in the North end of the Grand Strand and then the South end. However, because we found travelling to Myrtle Beach area (on Route 31) to be a pleasant commute compared to Boston commutes, we are staying in this end. We do a lot in North Myrtle Beach and that would be our other consideration. Best of luck!!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 11,931 times
Thanks everyone! I feel much better now, and the advice given has been great! I will continue to monitor this post. My husband is in MB as I type, so he is scoping it out some as well. I appreciate all your time to respond!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:26 AM

31 posts, read 57,459 times
I have lived in LR and in N. Myrtle Beach. I find that LR to be a quiet, older community. I am hoping for an influx of younger families with children!! We have an 8 year old. The waterfront is nice and you are minutes to North myrtle and 25-30 min to Myrtle. We like being able to have the touristy thing if we want it but not have it on top of us all the time. We bought our home in LR after renting for 1 year in NMB and for a year in LR. Again-- hopeful that we see some families moving in to our development (still building here), but all in all have liked LR and feel that we made a good decision. Also, so far the schools (NMB district) have been wonderful so far.

Old 04-25-2013, 09:19 AM

2 posts, read 6,834 times
We like Little River just the way it is. Older, Smarter, and mostly southern conservatives.

Old 04-25-2013, 12:37 PM

62 posts, read 116,922 times
I have lived in Little River for 21 years. I could not imagine living anywhere else along the coast. I LOVE this little town. I feel completely safe here and I am only three miles from the beach. I have never had any issue with crime here, but you have to understand too that the crimes mostly happen where the tourists are concentrated, and when we have crazy influxes of people who don't want to behave (biker weeks, senior week, spring breaks etc. of course there will be more arrests) Stay away from touristy areas during those times, and you will be fine. Little River is quiet and has a lot to offer, like great dining on the waterfront, Vereen's Gardens for lovely walks around the marsh, fishing, a picnic area and great views of Glenn Dornoch Golf course. There is also a recreation center outside of Little River just a little way down HWY 9 with a wonderful walking area above its' basketball courts as well as outside playground for kids and ball fields and they offer classes like Zumba. Plus you are so close to North Myrtle Beach and shopping and restaurants and of course the beach. There are lots of clubs/groups and volunteer opportunities if you care to join one and one that I really love is the North end ladies lunch bunch. We get together once a month for lunch and we network and promote our businesses and always make a donation to a cause involving animals. I hope that you can come and tour some of our neighborhoods and talk to some people who have lived here a while, as I think you would definitely have all your fears alleviated

Old 05-09-2014, 06:59 PM

3 posts, read 9,104 times
I think you would do well in North Myrtle or Little River. The area is not dead in the winter, there are many chain restaurants in this area and they are open all year long. I have lived in Little River for the last 13 years and my husband works nights and I am home alone and have never been afraid to be by myself all night long. the crime numbers for the area are misleading because we have so many vacationers and they skew the numbers for us-making it look much worse than it is. But you have to go where you are comfortable. If you are outgoing you will have no trouble making friends in the area.

Darn Yankee
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area