Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 12:20 PM

7 posts, read 79,753 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

I am a divorced, single, 28 year old female. I am also new to this site but have found it to be very helpful and interesting! I have visited Myrtle Beach several times throughout my life and I just fell in love with it! I was born in and still currently live in East Tennessee. I have come to a dead end in my life and need a change. It has always been my dream to live at the beach but when I was married that was completely out of the question. I work full time as a receptionist and part time as a waitress. I also started college last August but I am taking the summer off. I will be moving alone, but I do have close family that vacates there all throughout the year. I have been reading about safety, traffic, tourists, and anything else that could be negative. That's just not the picture I had in my mind. I am going to be absolutely scared to death for safety reasons and being alone. So the question I'm asking is, would this be a good move for me to make? I was just there a couple of weeks ago and I tried to talk to as many locals as I could. Is this a good place for someone of my age, being single, and alone? Could I find and keep employment? Could I make friends easily? I'm sorry this is so long but I am really torn... PLEASE HELP!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 12:52 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
I think it would be fine but I would probably look into the South Strand - Surfside, Garden City and Murrells Inlet or maybe N. Myrtle Beach. I find there is a lot to do in both of those areas. There are a lot of resturants in both places, so you can probably find a restaurant job fairly easily, I don't know about a receptionist job but you can look online. No matter where you go it's not perfect and being female especially, just follow safety precautions as you would anywhere and it's fine. I don't know what your budget is and if you are going to rent but you can also look in MB near the new Market Common. There are restaurants, stores, park, not far from the beach and there should be lots of rentals in that area. Good luck with your decision.

Old 06-20-2008, 01:56 PM

Hey Rapture,

Thank you for responding so quickly! I was thinking N. Myrtle Beach and most of the locals I spoke with said to go more North also. But I was planning on getting a short lease so I could possibly check out those areas after I move. But I'll research them online as well. Yes I am renting and I would like to not go over $600 a month. I was told that Carolina Forest was a good place and I have already found a studio apartment there online in my price range. You're right about it being the same everywhere, it's just scary moving to an unfamiliar place. Thank you again!!!

Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,111 times
Have you considered the Charleston area? More full time opportunities for waitressing. In the winter MB can be dead as far as restaurants go. More expensive but perhaps you could find a roommate to share costs.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:35 PM

No I haven't considered Charleston, I have never been there. Is it nice? I always thought it was more of a city type area? But thanks for the advice, I'll take it into consideration!

Old 06-20-2008, 05:01 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,777,604 times
Carolina Forest is another option but I find it to be more families and some retired, not really singles. Although the college is right down the street and some of the students rent in Carolina Forest. I'll keep my eye out for rentals and let you know if I come across any in your price range. You can check craigslist: myrtle beach classifieds for jobs, apartments, personals, for sale, services, community, and events and MyrtleBeachOnline.com - Myrtle Beach News, Golf, Hotels, Homes, Jobs, Cars also.

Old 06-21-2008, 11:34 AM

Awesome! Thanks a lot!!!

Old 06-22-2008, 03:25 PM

548 posts, read 1,980,111 times
Yes, Charleston is city but there are areas around Charleston that might meet your liking. Since there are lots of college students in the area finding a roommate shouldn't be hard. Just a consideration since Charleston isn't as much affected seasonally in the restaurant business as Myrtle Beach.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:08 PM

30 posts, read 147,705 times
I am just curious why Myrtle Beach restaurants would be slow in winter, isn't that a place where people go to escape the cold???? Puzzling.

Old 06-22-2008, 05:50 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzizza View Post
I am just curious why Myrtle Beach restaurants would be slow in winter, isn't that a place where people go to escape the cold???? Puzzling.
Myrtle Beach is dead as a doornail in the winter. Heck, many businesses that cater to tourists are only open spring through fall. It gets cold in Myrtle Beach too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area