Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 06:17 PM

1 posts, read 2,291 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am thinking about moving to the area as well, I am 37 and divorced and live in a very remote area and tired of it. I love hiking with my dogs and the ocean. Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 07:47 PM

790 posts, read 1,627,094 times
First advice is to have a job lined up before moving here.

Second, sit down and make a list of what you are looking for...rent/buy, house/condo, city/country/subdivision, big yard/small yard, how far from the beach, how much can you afford for rent/mortgage, etc. Until you know the answer to these and other questions you should be asking yourself, it's impossible to determine where in the area you would want to live.

Third, once you know what you want, visit the area for a week or so and explore various neighborhoods and areas to see what you might like. Visit shopping areas, the grocery stores, movie theatres and places you would go in your daily life. Do not go to the beach or do any tourist things...you're here to look for a place to live and see if you'd like the real world away from the beach. Living here and vacationing here are two totally different things.

I hope this helps. It's hard to provide much advice based on the limited amount of info you provided.

Old 06-15-2012, 11:22 AM

20 posts, read 35,519 times
Same advice as most- have a job lined up- understand that wages here are low, but rent and home ownership are high. Many people love the idea of "living at the beach" but the reality in Myrtle Beach is that the job pool is narrow..there are very few technology and financial jobs here.

Most of the work here is service industry work- and wages reflect that, but landlords and real estate agents expect top dollar for their properties because its the beach...a double edged sword for people looking to start a life here.

Old 03-24-2013, 01:40 PM

2 posts, read 3,306 times
Default Efficient research and other tips

Like so many, I am exploring my options with regard to a move to SC. That's what brought me to this thread, which I've now read in its entirety. As such, I have some advice that I hope will be helpful:

READ THE STATS: This is city-data.com, and at the end of every page you are reminded "Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: [URL="http://www.city-data.com/"]City-data.com[/URL]." MOST of the questions asked in this thread, for example, are answered on the data section of this site. Ex: median age of a given population; ratio of men to women; unemployment rates; median income; median housing costs; crime stats; etc. You'll even see a nice chart of the number of people employed in various industries, further broken down into men and women...

So -- read the data for the city in which you are interested. It's accurate, relatively up-to-date, and quite helpful.

WATCH THE DATES: When reading the posts, pay attention to the date each was posted. People who are warning of high unemployment, for example, tend to have posted in 2008. Remember 2008? It was the start of our national economic crisis. Now, in 2013, things are different.

LOOK AT CITY WEBSITES: You might also want to take advantage of the websites put up by nearly every community in the country. Those websites are intended for community members. You'll often be able to read exactly what is going on in the community, what issues are being faced by local gov't, and you'll see what events are considered important enough to post on the community website. You will almost always find links to jobs and housing options, as well.

Relocating -- especially when you don't have a job lined up -- is both frightening and exciting. Many of us who have the opportunity to "start over" in life want to head to the coast; we all want a safe and affordable community; and we all want to be able to meet new friends and enjoy our new home. I THOUGHT I'd done this only a year ago, yet after having gone to the expense and trouble of moving to a new city within my state (after having done "tons of research"), I find that my current community is a poor fit for my family and me. So, even when we think we have made a good choice, it doesn't always turn out that way.

Old 03-31-2014, 10:01 AM

1 posts, read 1,488 times
I am moving with my two sons, age 11 and 16 to mb from west central illinois and can't wait to get ou go here. The weather is a hundred times better than here. I have SAD, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and neck and back injuries.....can't wait to get out of 6 month cold, 5 months RSI , winds constantly, and humid days of August. A little of something is a lot better than a lot of something where weather is concerned for me. I am considering renting first and buying after so I know for sure where I want to live, but think carolina Forrest area is for us. I just can't wait to feel better!!!!!!!

Old 05-06-2014, 06:11 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,451,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthiab1 View Post
I am moving with my two sons, age 11 and 16 to mb from west central illinois and can't wait to get ou go here. The weather is a hundred times better than here. I have SAD, fibromyalgia, arthritis, and neck and back injuries.....can't wait to get out of 6 month cold, 5 months RSI , winds constantly, and humid days of August. A little of something is a lot better than a lot of something where weather is concerned for me. I am considering renting first and buying after so I know for sure where I want to live, but think carolina Forrest area is for us. I just can't wait to feel better!!!!!!!
Let us know how it goes. My wife and I are considering relocating there.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:40 PM

161 posts, read 330,914 times
We have been here almost a year - from Maryland and don't regret it one bit!

Old 08-06-2014, 09:43 AM

1 posts, read 1,145 times
hey!!!!
guys i am thinking about moving to myrtle beach i heard that north part is better.Is that true i need my rent to not go over 600
and where would i find a good job some people say in the south they dont pay that much but i found this not to be true
at all i need to make at least 13-15$ or more any help or advice would help and how about temp services here in md i make
13.50 how is transportation bus etc....thanks guys

Old 08-12-2014, 05:26 AM

27 posts, read 48,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthiab1 View Post
I am considering renting first and buying after so I know for sure where I want to live,.....
This is very wise and something that I wish I would have done 12 yrs ago when I moved here.

Old 08-29-2014, 09:39 AM

22,062 posts, read 13,093,119 times
I, too, am considering MB -- the south side (looks like there are a lot of us here) -- but jobs aren't an issue for me, as I'll be retired and living there only in off season. What concerns me: is it dead during the winter? Anything to do there? Much of a community or city activities and amenities? Don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with nothing interesting to do, staring at the ocean for six months of out the year... Thanks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area