Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:14 AM

7 posts, read 79,775 times

Advertisements

rrufast-
Thanks so much for your input & advice, it's very helpful! However, I am worried about work during the off season.

I have found an apartment complex called Claypond, I think I can handle their prices without a roomate. Although I may want to find a roomate just for company if I end up staying. But not sure if it's in a good area?

Last edited by Shorty Mac; 07-22-2008 at 07:28 AM.. Reason: Add text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2008, 01:58 PM

4,343 posts, read 14,787,452 times
I was just told by a restaurant manager here that a good place to work is The Melting Pot for a server. He's not the manager there but has heard several times that the servers do very well there and it's not a hard place to work. I have never been there, so I can't comment.

If it were me, I would get a server job that get's tourists but also a lot of locals. I'm guessing the places near Carolina Forest will stay busy all year. I know that new Japanese place Ichiros on 501 is very busy, including lunch.

As far as a receptionist job, I can't say but I'm thinking with all the hotels here, not to mention you can probably work at a real estate company, car dealership etc...I'm thinking they don't pay very well but most of them I would think employee people year round.

I have friends that live in all the areas you mentioned and I never hear a bad thing about any of them. My guess is the farther south you go, the less jobs there are in the south Strand. rrufast can answer this better maybe?

Old 07-22-2008, 02:41 PM

13,931 posts, read 39,348,994 times
Why not try for a office job with a doctor..or something year round.

Old 07-22-2008, 06:59 PM

882 posts, read 3,539,950 times
Regarding Clay Pond, it's not a bad area, from what I hear. Seem to be a high amount of rentals there tho, which always concerns me, but I'm looking from an owners standpoint.. No offense intended, btw..

Rapture, The Melting Pot is a great place to work IF you can get in there, which isn't easy. Collectors Cafe is also a good place, as is Liberty Tap room.

I know, well, used to know, plenty of servers who worked two serving jobs.. one in the am at a Breakfast joint and then in the evenings at a dinner joint. AWESOME tips but it's a hard pace also.

The great thing is that there are so many students and all here during SEASON that they still need staffing thru the 'off season'.

I think you'd do fine once you got here even if it did mean working two diff. serving jobs until you secured that office position you're looking for.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-23-2008, 11:10 AM

163 posts, read 664,986 times
I'd also suggest California Dreaming for a serving job that would probably fare well year-round. That chain has a good rep among SC natives.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:34 PM

132 posts, read 337,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrufast View Post
Shorty Mac-
I've lived here for 17 years. I consider myself as much a lifelong local as you're ever going to meet here..

Anywho.. I find my car insurance to be affordable. Of course, I wish it was lower, but I'd wish that no matter WHAT I paid..

Crime is relative. We have 14 million tourists a year that are NOT factored into the crime stats. Stats are based on year round population. Yes, crime has gotten worse over the years I've lived here, but the population has also nearly quadrupled in that time frame.. So what would one expect?

Jobs do thin out during the winter, but there are still plenty of locals who dine out and if you are a good server, you'll be able to keep a job during the off season. I'm not sure about the secretarial position. In your particular situation, I'd shoot for a serving job and search for a secretarial position..

Best of luck... there are still plenty of rentals out there that should fit your price range. As others have stated, worst case.. get a roomate for a while...
rrufast you mentioned you were a local! Yes! That's awesome to hear! So here is my story...I am a single, 23 year-old middle school teacher in Columbus, OH right now. I am under contract until the spring of 2009, but I want out of Ohio! I love the South, Southern Hospitality, and of course the beach! Is the Mrytle Beach area a great place for a young professional like me. Are there many young people to meet and make friends with? If not Mrytle Beach could you suggest any other places along the South/North Carolina coast?

Old 08-31-2008, 02:35 PM

245 posts, read 762,290 times
I think it is ,we are in our early 30s but my husband works with a lot of younger single guys in a professional field.

Old 09-12-2008, 08:17 PM

29 posts, read 100,574 times
ShortyMac--go to www.myrtlebeachroomsforrent.com. They have furnished condos available that could get you started without making a huge commitment. Give you a chance to feel the place out. They have several different buildings with different prices, so you can choose. Check it out. That's what I'm going to do if I get down there in Nov. as currently planned.

Old 09-27-2008, 08:49 PM

1 posts, read 4,131 times
Hey guys!! I am living in Tn and my family and I are hard pressed on selling our home to move to MB. We have vacationed there and fell in love with the folks and of course the ocean!! We have 3 kids and I was wondering about the comments about the jobs slowing in the off season. I have an in home daycare and my husband does every kind of construction work under the sun including having 7 rental properties under his constant work. How do you think these jobs would hold through the off season?? Where would be a good place to look to rent at least a 2 bdr apt.? We no longer want to own so the rental would need to be long term.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:05 PM

29 posts, read 100,574 times
kandjay--check craigslist.com for housing (be careful though, a lot of fraud at that website). Also myrtlebeachonline.com.
I should be in MB by some time in early Nov. I'll get temporary lodging until I check the town out. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area