Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area
 [Register]
Myrtle Beach - Conway area Horry County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 06:45 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
4,031 posts, read 6,551,929 times

Advertisements

Well handled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 12:53 PM

1,059 posts, read 1,885,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawleysDude View Post
No, T, that's not a good idea in SC. You would be denounced and demonized as un-American, or even, God forbid, a Democrat.

Hey hogs - Yeah, the bike weeks aren't really a big deal unless you happen to land close to ground zero for one of 'em. None of them are actually officially "weeks", but there's a lot of arriving early and staying late, so it drags on a little either side of the official dates. Harley Bike Week is currenty underway, with the big parties this coming weekend. We're insulated from a lot of it, but there's a good bit of activity in Murrells Inlet and we get a kick out of just watching. There are some fine, high $$ bikes that pass thru. Black Bike Week is May 24-27, centered around Memorial Day, Most of the activity is in and around Atlantic Beach and North Myrtle Beach. The Fall Rally is Oct 2-6 this year. It's a much quieter event, and usually seems to come and go without a lot of attention.
Thanks Pawley...being an OLD EX biker myself I understand completely. Just too much activity for me, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again...

Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 AM

2,538 posts, read 3,880,431 times
Quote:
Well, let's see... Hot & humid, flat lands, horrible economy, permanent population of about 27,000 whose taxes provide the infrastructure for an average of about 300,000 temporary population every summer, 3 bike weeks per year, lack of culture - well, that's not entirely true. When we need a culture fix, there's always Myrtle Manor. Offhand, I can understand leaving FL, but I cannot imagine looking at MB as an improvement.
This. Seriously.

Old 05-21-2013, 12:44 PM

11 posts, read 75,740 times
I'm taking my chances and will be in town next week. Hopefully everything works out! If not we will be looking more towards Columbia/Lexington. Thanks for the info again!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:19 AM

32 posts, read 68,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armed_Nomad View Post
I'm taking my chances and will be in town next week. Hopefully everything works out! If not we will be looking more towards Columbia/Lexington. Thanks for the info again!
if you need suggestions on columbia let me know! I love it there and went to school there.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:36 PM

253 posts, read 470,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady-a View Post
if you need suggestions on columbia let me know! I love it there and went to school there.
lady-a...I also went to school in Columbia. Mind saying where you went? Are you living in the MB area now? Plan to retire there at the end of 2014.

Old 06-08-2013, 03:02 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,682,596 times
Quote:
Well, let's see... Hot & humid, flat lands, horrible economy, permanent population of about 27,000 whose taxes provide the infrastructure for an average of about 300,000 temporary population every summer, 3 bike weeks per year, lack of culture - well, that's not entirely true. When we need a culture fix, there's always Myrtle Manor. Offhand, I can understand leaving FL, but I cannot imagine looking at MB as an improvement.
Well to add some glamour to this I must add...
Our tourist tax sure helps when all those high rise hotels are full in the summer. Your house taxes will be low, but your flood and perhaps additional insurance to cover hurricanes will be higher then your use to.

It is wonderful to have flowers and greenery all year round. That is one of my favorite things about MB.

The people are soft spoken, well mannered and so very friendly.

We have a wonderful Art museum and they hold shows and shin digs quite often.

The shows are wonderful to go to with your company. Alabama theater has many of the best singers doing fantastic shows. The Palace theater also.

Not to mention most of your guests and yourself will love the Aquarium at Broadway at the Beach.

Shopping is fantastic at the Tanger Outlets and also the Coastal Grand Mall, and lets not forget Market Common.

Theaters are new and plentiful.

Just walking at Barefoot Landing is a joy no less shopping in the many stores.

Days spent at Murrells Inlet having dinner outside and roaming the walkway are peaceful and a delight.

There is so much to do that you should not have a day of boredom. Flea Markets, auction houses, consignment shops.

So many kinds of restaurants and unique shops.

Still yes, it is hot and sometimes humid but we have all seasons and it is wonderful living here.

Best of Luck to you.

Old 06-09-2013, 07:50 AM

161 posts, read 330,557 times
Well said!
We are finally getting ready to make the move to the Grand Strand!
Some comments we have heard:
" Aren't you afraid of hurricanes?" ----well we now live in Maryland and Super Storm Sandy caused over $10000 damage to our house. So you never know what might be coming your way.
"It's so hot and humid there." ------ We had sooooooooooo many days over 100 degrees here last year so really no different . Summer just lasts longer in SC

I am looking forward to NOT dealing with 20inches of snow at a time, temps in the 20s for months ......

Old 06-09-2013, 08:31 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,682,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KavH View Post
Well said!
We are finally getting ready to make the move to the Grand Strand!
Some comments we have heard:
" Aren't you afraid of hurricanes?" ----well we now live in Maryland and Super Storm Sandy caused over $10000 damage to our house. So you never know what might be coming your way.
"It's so hot and humid there." ------ We had sooooooooooo many days over 100 degrees here last year so really no different . Summer just lasts longer in SC

I am looking forward to NOT dealing with 20inches of snow at a time, temps in the 20s for months ......
And....that is what you will have our new SC friend. A wonderful longer summer!

I came closer to tornados in PA. One surrounded my mothers home but took everything down around it.
Another, that never came up in our newspaper up there, was one street over from our home. It twisted trees around and around, big, big, trees.

One time a huge wind was going one way in the front of our home and another way out the back.
That certainly fits in with some kind of weather anomaly.

So far the worst I have had here in 11 years of being a snowbird, and now living here, is a freak winter snow storm. A dusting that went away quick. No shoveling needed. Hurray!!!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM

40 posts, read 100,450 times
Move to Sarasota Florida. Plenty of culture there. Beautiful place too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Myrtle Beach - Conway area