Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2023, 12:34 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lottamoxie View Post
This suspect is probably going to be found to be a budding serial killer type, like a Ted Bundy or Danny Rolling. We'll learn about the depths of the suspect's depravity when information and details come out about the murders, some of which won't be public until a trial.

As such, it will be challenging to understand the inner workings of his mind when his urge is to stalk and gruesomely kill young college-age women.

I think that's the first thing we all ask, "Why?" But over the years I've often heard the following answer from criminologists and police detectives: Trying to understand the motive behind such crimes is really a useless endeavor, because at what point would we say, "Oh, now I get it"? We who are not serial killers/mass murderers/spree killers just don't think that way. Nothing will make their actions understandable to us. We simply can't reach an understanding of those inner workings except from a clinical point of view--and from a prosecution point of view it is actually unnecessary. The old crime show insistence about understanding the motive (what was it, "motive, means, and opportunity"?) is a fiction invented by crime writers--a prosecutor doesn't have to prove motivation, just present evidence. And a jury doesn't have to understand why, just that the crime was committed by that person. Sure, we all want to know what on earth could make a human being act like that, and we'll hear a bunch of theories from psychiatrists, but that will only make us shake our heads and say, "I still don't get it." Which is good. It would be scary if we feel that we understand him...
IMO.

Last edited by Clark Fork Fantast; 01-02-2023 at 12:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 01:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
It's going to be interesting to understand the suspect. A highly educated guy, what drove him to do this?
Unfortunately, the information we do know, sounds all too familiar.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/64671044-post2256.html
  • Socially awkward during school experiences
  • Bullied, pestered, mocked, and humiliated by classmates, especially girls.
  • (Has been reported to harass females, and has responded aggressively and inappropriately when spurned from his advances_
  • Becomes violent and aggressive when drinking.
  • Became a bully himself as a senior in HS
  • Distanced himself from friends.
  • Sought attention by using or claiming to be heroin addict (HS and earlier)
  • Known to exaggerate and to not be honest or trusted
  • High academic achiever
  • OCD behaviors
  • educational pursuits with access and information on criminal activities, including a web detailed questionnaire seeking specific behavior, technique, and psychological information from perpetrators who had not been convicted.
  • Studied under the mentorship of a prof who authored over 70 books on psychologic profiles of criminals
  • Well educated and continuing to pursue further studies (and himself, actually teaching) criminology.

Add this to:
Proximity to crime site (Known to visit Moscow often, 15 min from his home) Received a seatbelt citation in Moscow during Aug 2022
Suspected encounters within proximity to victims in the few weeks prior to crime. (We don't know if there was actual contact)
Reported suspicions of a recent stalker of Kaylee
Owned a White Hyundai.

There is a lot of murder and suicide history from those harboring anger from school bullying. Columbine, Sandy Hook, Uvalde... just to name the biggies (there are many smaller bullying revenge killings and a lot of suicides.
https://www.quora.com/Are-serial-kil...lied-in-school
https://www.stopbullying.gov/

This is very visible, actionable, and preventable and calls for our (your) involvement.

Old 01-03-2023, 06:43 PM

1,539 posts, read 1,557,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GileadCommander View Post
What if he was motivated by the Netflix Bundy movie? What if there are legit reasons to muzzle the media re: serial killers? If we literally stopped giving these killers oxygen by talking about them, they just might go away completely. They crave the fame.
Yeah, I agree in that "True Crime" has become Entertaiment for the masses.

Old 01-03-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
I get the entertainment factor, but the larger moral question is are we literally creating murder victims due to our perverted entertainment needs? Sounds like a literal Sodom & Gomorrah situation.
Sadly, it appears a percent of society is obsessed with participating the social media live podcasts. They also donate money to financial support the podcasters.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:35 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,739,027 times
Quote:
I get the entertainment factor, but the larger moral question is are we literally creating murder victims due to our perverted entertainment needs? Sounds like a literal Sodom & Gomorrah situation.
Like right here in this thread. It’s gross that these four young peoples brutal murders have become entertainment and fodder for fevered speculation.

Old 01-04-2023, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistyriver View Post
Like right here in this thread. It’s gross that these four young peoples brutal murders have become entertainment and fodder for fevered speculation.
I'm not sure what you meant be referring to 'this thread'. Personally, I have professional interest in true crime and the nature of this thread's nature . I have my degree in Forensic Psychology and currently assist LE in accessing offenders state of mind at time of offense. I also assist with assessing competency to stand trial as well as assessing risk of re-offending.
I learn a tremendous amount from these highly visible crimes and trials. Speculation is a large part of the process.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Misty, I agree with you that there is an unsavory element to the national spotlight on the murders and the suspect, a rubbernecking aspect--but there is a human element to the interest that is important, too.

The gruesome deaths of the four young people is a story that reaches out to many people all over the United States and evoke an enormous surge of empathy and horror, almost at a personal level, as if they have become members of people's social media network/"TV family." There is so much revulsion and indignation at the crime (and, let's face it, also the fact that all four victims were really attractive young people), so when a suspect is apprehended, there is this public yearning for justice that goes way beyond the Idaho borders. It may even be a symbolic yearning, as if catching the (alleged) murderer and imagining a successful prosecution and punishment can help make the world a better place. It isn't just entertainment, it is also a deep human sense of righteousness, because we're social animals, and our extended social world today is defined by the media.

Like Trinity, I'm interested in the moral and psychological aspect of crime and the public's response, and have been for many years. I don't think I'm a crime groupie. Some crimes are too revolting for me to even pay attention to. I just tend to focus on the justice aspect, as well as the investigation aspect (because I also like detective stories). I don't think there is anything wrong with that, as long as it comes from a general concern for other human beings. IMO.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity1111 View Post
I'm not sure what you meant be referring to 'this thread'. Personally, I have professional interest in true crime and the nature of this thread's nature . I have my degree in Forensic Psychology and currently assist LE in accessing offenders state of mind at time of offense. I also assist with assessing competency to stand trial as well as assessing risk of re-offending.
I learn a tremendous amount from these highly visible crimes and trials. Speculation is a large part of the process.
Uh-huh. I’m sure your avid participation here is totally non-creepy and only to help educate you for your career.
I’m also sure Bryan Kohberger would say the same thing.

Old 01-05-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Misty, I agree with you that there is an unsavory element to the national spotlight on the murders and the suspect, a rubbernecking aspect--but there is a human element to the interest that is important, too.

The gruesome deaths of the four young people is a story that reaches out to many people all over the United States and evoke an enormous surge of empathy and horror, almost at a personal level, as if they have become members of people's social media network/"TV family." There is so much revulsion and indignation at the crime (and, let's face it, also the fact that all four victims were really attractive young people), so when a suspect is apprehended, there is this public yearning for justice that goes way beyond the Idaho borders. It may even be a symbolic yearning, as if catching the (alleged) murderer and imagining a successful prosecution and punishment can help make the world a better place. It isn't just entertainment, it is also a deep human sense of righteousness, because we're social animals, and our extended social world today is defined by the media.

Like Trinity, I'm interested in the moral and psychological aspect of crime and the public's response, and have been for many years. I don't think I'm a crime groupie. Some crimes are too revolting for me to even pay attention to. I just tend to focus on the justice aspect, as well as the investigation aspect (because I also like detective stories). I don't think there is anything wrong with that, as long as it comes from a general concern for other human beings. IMO.
Difference being, you are actually an Idahoan and have posted in this group for many years. Trinity (and others) have no connection and are only posting here because of what appears to many as a creepy interest in these murders.
Are there really no other groups even here in CD that would appease this “interest”?
Sorry, CF…it seems to me (and others given the number of likes on my posts) that their posts here are just ghoulish.

Old 01-05-2023, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Difference being, you are actually an Idahoan and have posted in this group for many years. Trinity (and others) have no connection and are only posting here because of what appears to many as a creepy interest in these murders.
Are there really no other groups even here in CD that would appease this “interest”?
Sorry, CF…it seems to me (and others given the number of likes on my posts) that their posts here are just ghoulish.

At least one more, over in Current Events. If you don't like speculation off the chart, then don't go there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho