Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2023, 03:24 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
That's a big presumption.
Like I said before, it's simple. The state counties are in alphabetical order, and the number indicates which county's name starts with the letter.

It doesn't take months to learn- an outsider can read the plate as soon as he learns a few counties' names.
The county seat is usually the largest city in the county, the most probable place a person lives in since our population is so small.
It's one of those distinctly Idaho things.
First the outsider would have to know that such a system even exists, to even think to learn this. I'm well aware that when you live in an area, most people will notice their local license prefix in a short time. But Kohberg did not live in Idaho, and he didn't even live in Pullman long enough to pick up on this type of stuff. And trying to find a pattern in license plate numbers in a college town, filled not only with cars from all over the state but from all over the country, would be difficult for even a long time local to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 03:38 PM

18,703 posts, read 33,366,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I have no clue who Nancy Grace is. Never heard of her before.
She's, I think, a retired lawyer who has been on TV a lot (now on Fox) and always goes after lurid crimes, the younger/whiter/better looking the female victim, the better. She was gone from TV for quite a while for family reasons but seems to have resurfaced. Very histrionic.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:19 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
OK, Cloudy.
I'll concede.
It's a trifle anyway. Kohberg's a smart guy. There are many ways he could have known Kaylee was back in town.

And that's the most important point.

Kohberg knew Kaylee had escaped his grasp and had left Moscow. His cruising by her house increased after she was gone.
He could have come close to giving up hope of ever seeing her again by then. So when she unexpectedly came back, I believe Kohberg may have tossed all his old plans to kill her, and chose to seize the moment as his best opportunity.

It could have been a hasty change; Kohberg was a detail freak and a solitary. The type of guy who loves to make detailed plans. But when he suddenly decided that moment was going to be the last time he would ever be close enough to kill her,
he returned home, grabbed his half-completed kill kit and carefully returned to wait until the hour came when the entire town was asleep.
That's why he made so many mistakes.
Kohberg must have known just about everything there is to know about DNA recovery and the rest of modern forensics. He was devising and re-devising a plan that would have none of the mistakes he made, but he was hasty.

And he was a beginner. He never knew how much strength and stamina it takes to stab 4 people to death, and he had never experienced the endorphin and adrenalin rush of doing such a thing before.

So high as a kite, dressed with enough black to think he couldn't be recognized, and bone muscle-tired, he walked past the housemate who was shocked into immobility when she saw him.
He didn't want to stop and go through more struggle killing her. Time was now short, and all he wanted was to get away and go back to his home in Pullman where he was safe. Without being stopped by the Moscow cops, who always patrol late-night more often than daylight or evenings.

Kohberg may have been an excellent planner, but that rush must have been something he had never experience before. It likely caused him to stay awake for a very long time back in Pullman, trying to get his loose ends covered.

That combined rush of high adrenalin combined with body fatigue is something few folks ever experience. I did, once, when I was only 17 and nearly slid off a Teton mountain. I came so close to the edge I could see very clearly how far down I would fall before hitting the ground- there was a raven flying between me and the bottom.

I was saved by others in my climbing party, but I really couldn't remember very much after they hauled me back from the edge. I should have, as that was my first experience climbing in the Tetons, even though I had been an active mountaineer for almost a year by then. I thought I was well prepared until the moment some snow gave way on unfamiliar rock.

Coming to the narrow edge of death does permanently change a person's perceptions afterward.

I'll bet Kohberg overlooked and left behind some evidence that will come out in the trial. The cops found it in his apartment area. But it won't be the knife. The knife was always a part of his plan, so he already had some places in mind to ditch it.

Old 01-17-2023, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
I have no clue who Nancy Grace is. Never heard of her before.
You're not missing much.
Nancy Grace is a former prosecutor and a self-professed expert on serial killers and other murders, mostly matricides or family killings.

I doubt she was ever trained as an investigator or especially as a forensic investigator; I think she's only one step above all the internet armchair detectives. Only because she's been at this for around 20 or more years.

But her legal experience gives her enough cred, along with her expertise as a forceful talking head on TV, that she's seen as being an expert commentator on these murders, and she has been doing this for a long time now.
She was on Fox, now on CNN, and earlier, had her own show on broadcast TV briefly.

In her early days, Nancy was a lot heavier than she is now and her speech was more caustic and biting, especially when she defended her talking points. Back then, she always went down fighting, and I think that was the major reason she lost her show. Her aggressiveness could turn nasty and often did.

I found some time ago Grace is far too quick to accuse the wrong people, and her accusals are far too firmly decided.

She's been proven wrong over and over, but though she was actually driven off air years ago after being wrong so often, she came back more recently and regained her former 'authority'.

All that amounts to is she's slightly less aggressive these days, quieter spoken while saying things and making claims, and she looks more attractive now.

But she is still more wrong than right in her predictions. She's just a better talking head these days.
She reminds me of Geraldo Rivera, another big scalp hunter in youth who has gone to seed as a gentler, more amiable 'reporter'.

As I posted, Nancy is still making a lot of the same bone-headed mistakes she made in the past.
Like young Geraldo, she likes to go and get close to the crime scene and try to get into the middle of an investigation. Her TV fame sometimes allows it, and she can really tangle the cops up when he's allowed in.

I hope her pronouncements didn't send any of the cops off on a wild goose chase. That's happened in her past more than once. But I'm sure her thoughts about the knife being tossed into the Snake River were so stupid the police force ignored them.

They are sure a fine police force. I'll bet they've all gotten some excellent training from the 2 universities, as they all appear to be functioning far above their pay grade in this case. With most excellent discipline.

Old 01-18-2023, 11:01 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Bryan Kohberger. Not Kohberg

Old 01-18-2023, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZgarden View Post
Bryan Kohberger. Not Kohberg
Thanks for the correction. I screw names up sometimes.

Old 02-08-2023, 06:49 PM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
News coming out on the NewsNation YouTube channel: Kohberger was apparently fired from his teaching assistant position right before Christmas, after repeated warnings throughout the semester for inappropriate behavior, including two altercations with a professor.
https://youtu.be/NVA2UzjatyQ

NewsNation has been pretty good at digging up new facts. I've tried to find something corroborating this "in print," but so far there's only this from Daily Mail in the UK quoting NewsNation:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-murdered.html
Daily Mail is not the most objective of news sources , but this is from Newsweek, also quoting NewsNation.
https://www.newsweek.com/bryan-kohbe...report-1779784

It's a big story, so if it is true, I assume we'll hear more. Nothing yet in Idaho Statesman.

Old 02-08-2023, 11:28 PM

I think Idaho's news media won't be reporting very much on this for quite some time.
They don't want to fan the flames while the legal matters are progressing with any more speculation, especially after early reportage fueled some very nasty rumors that accused some totally innocent folks who had nothing at all to do with the murders.

The Idaho Statesman is the state's leading newspaper, the one the outsiders will go to first, so they could be leading all the other papers to quiet their reportage in an effort to dampen the rumors.

The Daybell/Vallow trial, another internationally notorious crime case, is also coming up quickly- the trial is due to begin on April 4 in Ada county, Boise's home.
It could be the Statesman wants to concentrate its reportage on one trial at a time so the reportage on the April proceedings doesn't become confused with the other notorious murder case in Moscow.

Old 02-10-2023, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
News coming out on the NewsNation YouTube channel: Kohberger was apparently fired from his teaching assistant position right before Christmas, after repeated warnings throughout the semester for inappropriate behavior, including two altercations with a professor.
https://youtu.be/NVA2UzjatyQ

NewsNation has been pretty good at digging up new facts. I've tried to find something corroborating this "in print," but so far there's only this from Daily Mail in the UK quoting NewsNation:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-murdered.html
Daily Mail is not the most objective of news sources , but this is from Newsweek, also quoting NewsNation.
https://www.newsweek.com/bryan-kohbe...report-1779784

It's a big story, so if it is true, I assume we'll hear more. Nothing yet in Idaho Statesman.

So far, nobody else is picking up the story. According to a poster over in Current Events, it is a fake story introduced by a Reddit poster. We shall see.

Old 02-19-2023, 02:23 AM

We rarely think of the expenses the community will be burdened with in connection with a high-profile court case. Here is an interesting piece on the subject:
https://www.krem.com/article/news/cr...b-8451283687fe
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho