Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2023, 07:41 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
I think Kohberg cruised past, saw the license plate, knew it was from Coeur d'Alene by the plate code, and very carefully went back to Pullman to get his murder gear.)
Highly unlikely. That is the type of thing that only a local would even know about, and Kohberg was not local to Idaho. I do know that Idaho, along with Montana and Wyoming have license plates that are county coded. Other states have done away with county codes long ago. But that is not something that most people would know anyway. To most people license plates are just random numbers and letters. Unless you live in a state that still has county coded plates, like Idaho. Then maybe you start to notice that every license plate in your community starts with the same digits. If you travel around the state, you might start to become familiar with other county codes, but that comes from local knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2023, 03:52 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Highly unlikely. That is the type of thing that only a local would even know about, and Kohberg was not local to Idaho. I do know that Idaho, along with Montana and Wyoming have license plates that are county coded. Other states have done away with county codes long ago. But that is not something that most people would know anyway. To most people license plates are just random numbers and letters. Unless you live in a state that still has county coded plates, like Idaho. Then maybe you start to notice that every license plate in your community starts with the same digits. If you travel around the state, you might start to become familiar with other county codes, but that comes from local knowledge.
Actually, the county-coded plates are extremely popular in Idaho because everyone instantly knows where someone else lives.
The code is simple and logical, and out-of-staters who live here learn it right away. Especially the local codes.

Maybe they're mostly random numbers to you, but they're not, at least when it comes to the county coding.

Since Pullman is so close, the students there tend to pick the code up. For the kids, it's a fast way of knowing where a prospective date from Idaho came from.

Old 01-16-2023, 04:01 PM

6,354 posts, read 7,759,280 times
Quote:
Actually, the county-coded plates are extremely popular in Idaho because everyone instantly knows where someone else lives.
The code is simple and logical...
Yeah. When I see a plate with 7B or 9B, I give them a wide berth because they drive a little more aggressively than locals. Myself? I have a personalized veteran plate, so nobody knows where I live.

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 01-16-2023, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Yeah. When I see a plate with 7B or 9B, I give them a wide berth because they drive a little more aggressively than locals. Myself? I have a personalized veteran plate, so nobody knows where I live.
Country folk come to town in the big city...

Down here, 8B drivers think 1J stands for one jerk... old joke. But it's true; a country driver just isn't used to city traffic as an everyday part of life.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:41 PM

Quote:
The code is simple and logical, and out-of-staters who live here learn it right away. Especially the local codes.

Maybe they're mostly random numbers to you, but they're not, at least when it comes to the county coding.

Since Pullman is so close, the students there tend to pick the code up. For the kids, it's a fast way of knowing where a prospective date from Idaho came from.
Yeah, but Kohberg is not from Idaho. So he wouldn't know that, and he had only been in Washington for a few months.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Yeah, but Kohberg is not from Idaho. So he wouldn't know that, and he had only been in Washington for a few months.
That's a big presumption.
Like I said before, it's simple. The state counties are in alphabetical order, and the number indicates which county's name starts with the letter.

It doesn't take months to learn- an outsider can read the plate as soon as he learns a few counties' names.
The county seat is usually the largest city in the county, the most probable place a person lives in since our population is so small.
It's one of those distinctly Idaho things.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:52 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:

Cloudy,
I don't think you have any experience with living in Idaho/on the ID border, correct? We picked up on the license plate identification of plates from North Idaho after just a couple of weeks of putting down roots in NID, even if we're not there full time yet. It is a popular habit, even a hobby. Everybody seems to be doing it. You can speculate all you want about what Kohberger may or may not have known, but locals here probably have a better sense of what he may have realized.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:56 AM

7,378 posts, read 12,659,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post

Haha, thanks! 7B is our county.

Last edited by volosong; 01-17-2023 at 02:10 AM..

Old 01-17-2023, 10:43 AM

32,634 posts, read 47,975,309 times
Quote:
Highly unlikely. That is the type of thing that only a local would even know about, and Kohberg was not local to Idaho. ..........
And yet you know it and you live over on the Southern coast of Oregon and a lifelong Californian before that. You aren't local to Idaho. People not local to Idaho can know it. it is not any sort of secret.

Old 01-17-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Fork Fantast View Post
Cloudy,
I don't think you have any experience with living in Idaho/on the ID border, correct? We picked up on the license plate identification of plates from North Idaho after just a couple of weeks of putting down roots in NID, even if we're not there full time yet. It is a popular habit, even a hobby. Everybody seems to be doing it. You can speculate all you want about what Kohberger may or may not have known, but locals here probably have a better sense of what he may have realized.
I know it, because I have lived in Montana and Wyoming, that have county prefixes. Those states make it much easier, because each county has its own number. I know if I see a Wyoming license plate starting with #1, it's from Casper / Natrona County. #2 is Cheyenne / Laramie County. A Montana plate starting with #2 is from Great Falls / Cascade County. #3 is from Billings / Yellowstone County. #4 is from Missoula and #5 is Helena.

But Idaho with the number-letter combinations is much more difficult. Even though I see Idaho plates everyday, and I'm familiar with the format of Idaho plates, when I started this conversation I didn't know one single Idaho license plate prefix. But I'm pleased to say that I have added 1A Boise / Ada County and K Coeur d’Alene / Kootenai County to my knowledge base. I'm not going to waste any time learning any more, because I would probably just forget them or get them mixed up.

Again this is way more information than most people know or care about. First you have to know that some states have county prefixes in their license plates, to even know that it is possible to tell where in a state a car is registered. 99.99% of people outside the few states that do that, don't have that knowledge. For example someone from Pennsylvania.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho