Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2024, 01:11 PM

4,569 posts, read 5,666,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
It's actually diversity, EQUITY and inclusion. Those are different things. Equality means everyone has the same opportunity. Equity means taking from one and giving to another.
We had a local group of agitators trying to "take over" a non-profit where I serve as a board member. Among other tactics, they pushed to add a formal DEI statement to our bylaws & website, insisting they could find us grants (free money! woohoo!) if only we had a more diverse board (meaning fewer white folk) and a DEIBA-first mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
So you and your ilk are against diversity, you're against equality, and you're against inclusion. Because that's what DEI stands for: Diversity, equality, inclusion.
Our new best friends helpfully provided sample language for a DEI statement, then were apoplectic when we responded with a re-write which included striking "equity" for "equality" (and "equitable" became "impartial").

They also freaked out when we defined "diversity" to be inclusive of diversity of thought and creed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2024, 01:14 PM

629 posts, read 400,285 times
That sounds nice on paper, but are things really equal though? And if so, when did this all of this equality occur? When the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 19th amendments were passed? Or was it after the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

Were there no other equality obstructions?

Quote:
It's actually diversity, EQUITY and inclusion. Those are different things. Equality means everyone has the same opportunity. Equity means taking from one and giving to another.

Old 03-04-2024, 01:59 PM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
So you only have a problem with AA/DEI when it uses race as the criteria and not gender, sexual orientation, disability etc?

It's been clearly established that white women are the biggest beneficiaries of such policies overall, yet we don't hear a peep about that...why is that?
now you're really trying to twist things....LOL..race, gender, age, or sexual orientation.....on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, or sexual orientation

don't know....can you even read what's posted?.....rotfl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Discrimination: the unfair or prejudicial treatment of people and groups based on characteristics such as race, gender, age, or sexual orientation.

Florida’s Board of Governors voted to ban state spending on DEI programs across all public universities in the state, defining DEI as “any program, campus activity, or policy that classifies individuals on the basis of race, color, sex, national origin, gender identity, or sexual orientation and promotes differential or preferential treatment of individuals on the basis of such classification.”"
well, you're on your own.....

Last edited by Corrie22; 03-04-2024 at 02:32 PM..

Old 03-04-2024, 02:46 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
No that's not what it means in the context of the term.

Quote:
“Equity” focuses on fairness and justice, particularly referring to compensation and whether people are being paid or treated fairly
according to professionals who actually work in the field.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/dei-progra...ry?id=97004455

An excellent explanation of equity is found in wikipedia:
Quote:
Equity within a society is different from social equality and takes into account the individual differences that people may have when seeking an equal outcome. For example, person A may have no difficulty walking, person B may be able to walk but with some difficulty, whilst person C may be unable to walk at all. Equality would be providing each of those three people with the same opportunities or aids. Per our example, if persons A, B, and C receive a wheelchair, this is a form of equality. Equity, on the other hand, would look different from equality because it would instead cater to each individual's differing needs. For the same example, person A may not receive any aids, person B may receive a walking stick, whilst person C may receive an electric wheelchair.
and you can check all their footnotes and "further reading" references if you take issue with wikipedia for whatever reason.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:45 PM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
Do you know how many times "things" were taken from one and given to another in Florida? Here are a couple.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rosewood_massacre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocoee_massacre

Old 03-04-2024, 04:48 PM

490 posts, read 516,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Please provide specific examples and cite your sources. Thank you.

Oh, and since you know nothing about me, you don't get to say what is ok with me and what isn't.
Don't take it personal my friend, it's not about you.

SEC schools were segregated, I shouldn't not have to prove that.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:09 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
Don't take it personal my friend, it's not about you.

SEC schools were segregated, I shouldn't not have to prove that.
I see you still can't/aren't willing to cite your sources.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:15 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
So you and your ilk are against diversity, you're against equality, and you're against inclusion. Because that's what DEI stands for: Diversity, equality, inclusion.
I'm not against those things. (And by the way, the E stands for equity, not equality.) But when people talk about Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, it's like when North Korea calls itself the Democratic People's Republic of Korea. The words they use have different meanings than the actual dictionary definitions of the words. When they talk about diversity, they mean fewer white people. When they talk about equity, they mean giving a leg up to non-white (and usually non-Asian) people. And when they talk about inclusion, they mean excluding white people. Whether or not those were the originally intended results, the fact is that this is what happens when DEI programs are implemented. Which is why they are starting to be dismantled; because they are discriminatory and racist.

Old 03-04-2024, 05:23 PM

3,428 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I see you still can't/aren't willing to cite your sources.
You shouldn't need to have sources cited for things that are common knowledge.

Such as - I don't need to cite a source to prove that a sentence is a grammatical structure. I don't need to cite a source to prove that the color green is the product of mixing blue and yellow.

And I don't need to cite a source to prove that the Southeast Conference was segregated until the mid-late 1960's.

But hey - just to help you out, since it's clear you had trouble helping yourself, I did the work for ya:

https://www.google.com/search?sca_es...ih=833&dpr=0.9

if you're one of those people who worry google will track your eye-movements and send your location information to the CIA or the Illuminati, you can check the same at duckduckgo:

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=southeast+...=c&t=hn&ia=web

You're welcome.

Old 03-04-2024, 06:12 PM

14,956 posts, read 9,794,276 times
Quote:
100% of all black churches cater to black people. OMG reverse discrimination! We autta start a petition or something.
No they don't. They serve God and all His children.

Wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida