Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2024, 03:37 AM

490 posts, read 516,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
post 107..UF don't do legacies

UF does not consider alumni relations in the admissions process
At this particular school. There also is no additional consideration given to in-state students.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 09:53 AM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
This is a great point. If "merit" is the only consideration then legacies should also be eliminated.
UF doesn't give preference to legacies. Already been posted in this thread.

Old 03-14-2024, 01:28 PM

2,642 posts, read 1,371,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl Lagos View Post
Most legacies in the USA are blacks at HBCUs. Who taught blacks to read and write, whites, regardless when and were it happened. Who sold blacks into slavery, other blacks lol. And for 1,000 years before the usa was even a country.
The fact that rulers of some African kingdoms sold off captives mostly taken from other African populations does nothing to absolve America of its guilt for the institution of slavery...not sure what your point is there. That's just whataboutism. In fact we bear some of the responsibility for the actions of the African rulers involved too...it was our money that drove their behavior, and we, of course, were well aware of that (I'm not saying that absolves them, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't serve to absolve us) And ..virtually every other western nation abolished slavery well before we did...we, if you want to be really specific, being the American South. And then we had Jim Crow for a good century after that. Among western nations only Brazil retained slavery longer than we did, Russia if you count serfdom as slavery. The British had already shed copious amounts of blood enforcing a blockade of West Africa stamping out the slave trade...around two thousand men...before the Civil War started here...and they freed over a hundred and fifty thousand would be slaves from over sixteen hundred slave ships.

Old 03-14-2024, 03:42 PM

1,212 posts, read 501,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbrianbush View Post
The fact that rulers of some African kingdoms sold off captives mostly taken from other African populations does nothing to absolve America of its guilt for the institution of slavery...not sure what your point is there. That's just whataboutism. In fact we bear some of the responsibility for the actions of the African rulers involved too...it was our money that drove their behavior, and we, of course, were well aware of that (I'm not saying that absolves them, I'm just pointing out that it doesn't serve to absolve us) And ..virtually every other western nation abolished slavery well before we did...we, if you want to be really specific, being the American South. And then we had Jim Crow for a good century after that. Among western nations only Brazil retained slavery longer than we did, Russia if you count serfdom as slavery. The British had already shed copious amounts of blood enforcing a blockade of West Africa stamping out the slave trade...around two thousand men...before the Civil War started here...and they freed over a hundred and fifty thousand would be slaves from over sixteen hundred slave ships.
There's no guilt lol. That is an individual thing. Individuals can be guilty of various crimes.

Last edited by Yac; 03-15-2024 at 07:36 AM..

Old 03-14-2024, 04:01 PM

2,072 posts, read 1,640,988 times
I am a UF graduate. I am also a minority engineer. I was very happy with my time at UF in graduate studies. The commencement was awesome, and the students and faculty were great.

I am somewhat confused as to the uproar of "DEI" being fired at UF. Governor Jeb Bush had already outlawed affirmative action and related programs back in 2000. California did a similar thing around 1996. Then recently SCOTUS outlawed AA on a national level. As a minority engineer, I was happy that Bush outlawed AA in 2000. I saw the "mismatch" problem that AA created many times in STEM courses. It was very common for AA to accept unprepared minority students who fell behind due to having come from low quality school districts and lack of family support common in more affluent neighborhoods.

Now, when AA was outlawed, the admission for minority students was activated ONLY FOR QUALIFIED STUDENTS WHO HAD COMPETITIVE TEST SCORES AND GPAS. So, that eliminated the "mismatch" problem well-documented by Richard Sanders of UCLA. Then minority graduation rates went up after AA was outlawed.

I arrived to Florida in 2002 and earned multiple graduate degrees in the state. I never heard a minority complain AA had been outlawed. I met one Haitian American STEM student who told me she enjoyed her time at UF and never ran into racism. This was in the years after AA was outlawed. So, discussions around AA were a moot point by the time I arrived. AA was a relic of the 1990s like "Saved by the Bell", dial-up modems, Napster, Sega video games, Nintendo 64, gas less than a dollar per gallon, Melrose Place, etc. AA was essentially gone when I was at UF.

The DEI programs represented small, scattered clusters of diversity initiatives as I understood it. For example, there was a minority support office that was real small in the Shands Health Center near the medical school's administrative offices. There were a couple of summer immersion programs for minorities. But the scale was very small in comparison to Colorado.

The contrast over at CU Boulder was huge. Affirmative action was enforced on a very massive scale for admissions in STEM, the law school, medical school, etc. There were scholarships, courses, separate admission cohorts with lowered standards, etc. Naturally, the resentment was huge. The Republican students held an affirmative action bake sale in protest. Then some minorities held a counter protest accusing them of racism. Meanwhile, Ward Cleaverly, put a ban on Affirmative Action on the Colorado state ballot around 2008. It was rejected narrowly. The tension regarding AA was huge at CU Boulder, Denver Health Sciences, Colorado State, Air Force Academy, etc. It was very divisive.

By contrast, I experienced none of that at UF. I had a great time there in the post-AA era. I am confused as to why the elimination of a very miniscule subset of DEI programs caused so much turmoil. I feel the tension is misdirected. Colorado would be a better target in my opinion give that they had AA and DEI set up to a much larger scale by a factor of 100+.

Go Gators!!!!!

Old 03-15-2024, 09:09 AM

3,424 posts, read 2,393,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
I am a UF graduate. I am also a minority engineer. I was very happy with my time at UF in graduate studies. The commencement was awesome, and the students and faculty were great.

I am somewhat confused as to the uproar of "DEI" being fired at UF. Governor Jeb Bush had already outlawed affirmative action and related programs back in 2000. California did a similar thing around 1996. Then recently SCOTUS outlawed AA on a national level. As a minority engineer, I was happy that Bush outlawed AA in 2000. I saw the "mismatch" problem that AA created many times in STEM courses. It was very common for AA to accept unprepared minority students who fell behind due to having come from low quality school districts and lack of family support common in more affluent neighborhoods.

Now, when AA was outlawed, the admission for minority students was activated ONLY FOR QUALIFIED STUDENTS WHO HAD COMPETITIVE TEST SCORES AND GPAS. So, that eliminated the "mismatch" problem well-documented by Richard Sanders of UCLA. Then minority graduation rates went up after AA was outlawed.

I arrived to Florida in 2002 and earned multiple graduate degrees in the state. I never heard a minority complain AA had been outlawed. I met one Haitian American STEM student who told me she enjoyed her time at UF and never ran into racism. This was in the years after AA was outlawed. So, discussions around AA were a moot point by the time I arrived. AA was a relic of the 1990s like "Saved by the Bell", dial-up modems, Napster, Sega video games, Nintendo 64, gas less than a dollar per gallon, Melrose Place, etc. AA was essentially gone when I was at UF.

The DEI programs represented small, scattered clusters of diversity initiatives as I understood it. For example, there was a minority support office that was real small in the Shands Health Center near the medical school's administrative offices. There were a couple of summer immersion programs for minorities. But the scale was very small in comparison to Colorado.

The contrast over at CU Boulder was huge. Affirmative action was enforced on a very massive scale for admissions in STEM, the law school, medical school, etc. There were scholarships, courses, separate admission cohorts with lowered standards, etc. Naturally, the resentment was huge. The Republican students held an affirmative action bake sale in protest. Then some minorities held a counter protest accusing them of racism. Meanwhile, Ward Cleaverly, put a ban on Affirmative Action on the Colorado state ballot around 2008. It was rejected narrowly. The tension regarding AA was huge at CU Boulder, Denver Health Sciences, Colorado State, Air Force Academy, etc. It was very divisive.

By contrast, I experienced none of that at UF. I had a great time there in the post-AA era. I am confused as to why the elimination of a very miniscule subset of DEI programs caused so much turmoil. I feel the tension is misdirected. Colorado would be a better target in my opinion give that they had AA and DEI set up to a much larger scale by a factor of 100+.

Go Gators!!!!!
It's caused turmoil, because it's being used as a political point on an authoritarian governor's agenda to make Florida the "state where woke goes to die."

If DEI was such a nothingburger, he could've done - nothing - and no one would care. He did this not because DEI is a problem, but rather, because he could TURN IT into a problem and rally the frothing mass of insecure bigots, racists, and antisemites, to believe that the thing that wasn't a problem, was a HUGE problem that needed someone (like the authoritarian governor) could DO something about.

Very similar to a time when somewhere, in a country, a certain demographic was blamed for the ills of society. And then they were rounded up and tossed into camps. Hint: I'm talking about America, and the Japanese internment camps that took Japanese AND Japanese-Americans, and put them into concentration camps. Crazy enough, it didn't solve the ills of society. It basically just resulted in hovering a country-wide magnifying glass over it.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:18 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
It's caused turmoil, because it's being used as a political point on an authoritarian governor's agenda to make Florida the "state where woke goes to die."

If DEI was such a nothingburger, he could've done - nothing - and no one would care. He did this not because DEI is a problem, but rather, because he could TURN IT into a problem and rally the frothing mass of insecure bigots, racists, and antisemites, to believe that the thing that wasn't a problem, was a HUGE problem that needed someone (like the authoritarian governor) could DO something about.

Very similar to a time when somewhere, in a country, a certain demographic was blamed for the ills of society. And then they were rounded up and tossed into camps. Hint: I'm talking about America, and the Japanese internment camps that took Japanese AND Japanese-Americans, and put them into concentration camps. Crazy enough, it didn't solve the ills of society. It basically just resulted in hovering a country-wide magnifying glass over it.
and it is dying in Florida. Other rational states are following our governors lead. DEI needs to check it's privilege.
In fact, businesses are running from DEI or just not falling back on it It's a failed attempt to undermine the fabric of our nation, masked in the cloak of inclusion. BS...

DEI is DIE

Old 03-15-2024, 10:36 AM

622 posts, read 400,285 times
Bingo! The reasonably intelligent and non biased don’t fall for the “Banana in the tailpipe” so easily.

Just a way to score cheap political points with his extremist base…nothing more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post

Old 03-15-2024, 10:37 AM

18,426 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
and it is dying in Florida. Other rational states are following our governors lead. DEI needs to check it's privilege.
In fact, businesses are running from DEI or just not falling back on it It's a failed attempt to undermine the fabric of our nation, masked in the cloak of inclusion. BS...

DEI is DIE
some states Fla is following their lead....because they were first ahead of Florida

"There are currently more than 30 bills across the country targeting DEI funding, practices, and promotion at schools. As of Jan. 31, seven have been signed into law by a governor"

https://www.bestcolleges.com/news/an...ation-tracker/

Old 03-15-2024, 10:44 AM

14,955 posts, read 9,790,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
Bingo! The reasonably intelligent and non biased don’t fall for the “Banana in the tailpipe” so easily.

Just a way to score cheap political points with his extremist base…nothing more.
So you think it's just for votes? lol Malcom X knew the truth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida