Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2023, 09:08 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,344,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Well I can say one thing... you can spend just 1 hour walking the streets of San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York City and see what would be a month's worth of "Florida man" material.
Drugged up crazy people. Those are uber wealthy cities. I wonder if some of them are mad because they're broke and see all these wealthy people all around them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2023, 09:46 PM

12,451 posts, read 9,540,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
I'm being very serious here... I have lived in Florida almost my whole life. And various parts of Florida (never any further north than Ocala/not in the pan handle and as far south as Englewood). Florida seems to have a lot of narcissistic, angry people, wishy washy people. I love Florida because it's my home state... and I was born here. But another part of me really dislikes Florida because well tbh...

The people kind of suck. Honestly (as far as I can remember at this moment) I'd say almost every person whom I've known on more than just an acquaintance level, has either moved back to their home state or have kind of turned into a "Florida man/woman" type character -- has gotten into drugs/drinking/arrests/life seems to unstable.

I have gotten out of this sort of crowd (and I'm not married which most people my age are so I'm not in the "parent"/family crowd either). Never been arrested but did hang around this stuff/"scene" when I was younger. Nowadays I have no social life to be honest. I just work, come home, read, play a couple different instruments, and repeat the next day. Feels like ground hogs day to be honest. I don't know if that's just adult life and I've never really grown up... or if it's just Florida, man.

I've been to a few other states but I was just on vacation/visiting and the one thing I noticed is... people drive better, I don't recall ever hearing any blaring sound systems in traffic, and random people seem to talk to you like they kind of know you (I'm undecided if this is a good thing or not lol). As in they're not in "defense" mode.
More insights at:
https://floridaman.com/

Old 07-22-2023, 09:58 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,964,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Drugged up crazy people. Those are uber wealthy cities. I wonder if some of them are mad because they're broke and see all these wealthy people all around them.
It's mostly because the cities allow open air drug markets and addicts to inject instead of enforcing the law. You can walk down Market Street in San Francisco and see it every single day... day or night. It really comes down to mental health and drug addiction. Some cities you can call the police if you see someone injecting themselves in public and other cities hand out hundreds of thousands of syringes to them each month.

Old 07-23-2023, 06:11 AM

21,621 posts, read 31,215,012 times
Quote:
Well I can say one thing... you can spend just 1 hour walking the streets of San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York City and see what would be a month's worth of "Florida man" material.
Yep. I was disgusted with what I experienced in both Manhattan and Los Angeles on recent visits.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:16 AM

17,316 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Yep. I was disgusted with what I experienced in both Manhattan and Los Angeles on recent visits.
I was in Europe for 2 weeks, 3 different countries and Frankfurt Germany would fit right in with the worst parts of LA/NY. I was stunned

Old 07-25-2023, 06:33 AM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
Quote:
and other cities hand out hundreds of thousands of syringes to them each month.
I think it's hysterical!.....the same city that banned plastic bags and straws.....hands out over 5 million plastic syringes a year

Old 07-25-2023, 06:36 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The fantasy of the endless tropical vacation quickly clashes with the reality of living in a disaster-prone low wage high COL area and people start to get cranky pretty quickly.

We went on vacation to the Portland, OR area in 2019 and despite that area’s reputation, we were just floored by how the majority of people out there seemed nicer and kinder (and were much better drivers) than how things were back home.

One thing I used to like about the state since we moved in here in 1998 was that it was always changing and the potential for those changes to be interesting interesting and fun but so many of those changes in recent years have been for the worse

So now the plan is to hang on here for a couple years for financial reasons and then hope there’s a greater fool willing to pay a decent price for the house at that point so we can pull off an early retirement to Colorado/Spain/the PNW.
I much prefer the laws, politics, etc. in Florida vs. Oregon, but....much better drivers in Oregon.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:44 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,814,811 times
Florida is to the US as New York was to the world during the great immigration. The migration of those seeking a better life brings many good people, but also disgruntle, angry, disenchanted, people trying to get away from something or some wrong in their lives.

Q. What happens when people run from poor situations and find out the problem is them? and their situation is self inflicted? and the change of 'scenery' doesn't change a thing?

A. They become askholes

Their problems become accentuate.

Last edited by Dave_n_Tenn; 07-25-2023 at 06:55 AM..

Old 07-25-2023, 06:49 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,534,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Reminds me of the CEO of CBS, Viacom a couple years ago that Limbaugh was talking about on his show once because TMZ did a story on it. He pulled up in a Lambo, or Ferrari out in LA. he didn't tip the valet because he said he only had 100s and 50s on him and said something like "I'll get you next time." and got no tip! I believe the guy made something like 30 million a year. Limbaugh said he usually tips a couple hundred in a situation like that and really laid into him about it.

Some rich people are super cheap when it comes to spending money and tipping. I mean, horrible tippers, trying to talk someone down in price to the point of insulting and such. Drive a 300k car but can't tip the valet???

You hear about famous people and sports players giving insulting tips as well. I mean less than what a typical person tips.

There was a story I read about Wayne Gretezky and Michael Jordan in Vegas one time and Jordan was giving an insulting tip and Wayne corrected him.
I know a guy with $100 million in real estate equity and he drives beater cars that barely pass smog and wears clothes with holes in them. His wife is a wonderful, kind woman, and he's smart enough though to buy her a new Mercedes every year and her clothes budget is 'whatever she wants'.

Old 07-25-2023, 06:50 AM

18,458 posts, read 8,282,661 times
...or they just don't learn how to live in Florida.....they want to live in Florida exactly like they lived up north...but without ice and snow

don't develop Florida hobbies and interests....and have no idea what they are
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida