Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2023, 03:16 PM

18,431 posts, read 8,264,501 times

Advertisements

we're colorful.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 07:47 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,797,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Good for you.

I always wonder about this “FL education is ranking top xyz in the country” narrative. I just don’t see it, because if it were true it would have attracted more high-income, high-education professionals and companies. Instead you have the type that’s easily falling into the memes, bar jokes, punchlines, “Florida men”, people who brag about the state being the hub for overseas shell companies and money laundering….etc. I am perfectly aware of Sunshine Law, but come on, you do provide so much more inventory and the variety because of the low skill, low wage, “hangin’ on the beach” sort of slacker culture did not help the case.

Which is why I don’t buy the Florida education being so highly ranked narrative. High, good quality education & slacker drinking and partying beach culture are kind of on the opposite of image spectrum.

I come from an irritatingly high number of the Tracy Flick type of overachiever family, I’ve never heard of Central Florida University or Florida State University until I moved to FL. I’m sure these large state-level universities produced many great, accomplished people (a friend’s daughter just got accepted to UCF in Orlando and she was a good student.) but I just don’t associate FL with “great education”. I don’t think many families moved to FL because of the excellent reputation of school districts here. No income tax, preferred political climate, beautiful beach and sunny weather and plethora of water-related amenities? Yes. Education and excellent pay? I don’t think so.

In fact as an attractive city as Miami is, it would have been elevated to a much higher ranked “world class” city (instead of attracting more the shady, Mafia, regional boastful less-than-refined rich people from South America. No offense to the good people in South America.) had the city been cultivating and establishing a higher education globally-targeted institute.
Well.... you're wrong on all counts. However ... creating facts isn't facts... it's lying.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:50 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Just came here to say… there is no such thing as “Central Florida University.” That would be why you never heard of it.

As for UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA, that speaks about you if you’ve never heard of it. It’s only the biggest university in the entire country lol.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:59 PM

1,035 posts, read 564,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Just came here to say… there is no such thing as “Central Florida University.” That would be why you never heard of it.

As for UNIVERSITY OF CENTRAL FLORIDA, that speaks about you if you’ve never heard of it. It’s only the biggest university in the entire country lol.
I’m heavily jet lagged so I typed quickly.

No, even with University of Central Florida I still never heard of it until reading on c-d while living in FL.

You can make fun of me because I never heard of it, but the joke is not on me. After all I only know family members and friends who attended Yale, Oxford, MIT, Harvard, Cal Tech, UC Berkeley and Stanford.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:06 PM

9,410 posts, read 11,153,578 times
Maybe those are the refugees from California and New York.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:15 PM

283 posts, read 289,138 times
Florida education is not at the Top, but it isn’t at the Bottom either. Probably somewhere in the middle, where you can describe it as “fair-average”. It’s good value when you compare the cost of education with other states.

Florida is an attractive state in many aspects, so it’s going to draw all sorts of people, especially the crazies. Nothing can be done about it, they are going to find their way here somehow.

Last edited by gatorlyn; 09-16-2023 at 09:27 PM..

Old 09-16-2023, 09:50 PM

17,148 posts, read 15,357,409 times
Quote:

No, even with University of Central Florida I still never heard of it until reading on c-d while living in FL.

You can make fun of me because I never heard of it, but the joke is not on me. After all I only know family members and friends who attended Yale, Oxford, MIT, Harvard, Cal Tech, UC Berkeley and Stanford.
Yes, of course, you only know people who attended those select few prestigious schools. Sure.

Old 09-17-2023, 06:24 AM

Quote:

Lol....

Old 09-17-2023, 10:07 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,398,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
Yes, of course, you only know people who attended those select few prestigious schools. Sure.
I'd never heard of a University of Central Florida (or those same words in a different order) til I moved to Florida. But I'm guessing most of you have never heard of Emerson College, or SCSU unless you're a womens' college basketball fan.

"The largest" University would never show up on my radar, because I don't care about the "largest" when it comes to education.

Regardless, you don't have to move your entire family to Florida, in order to put your kids through college in Florida. When families come to Florida, it's not because of the public elementary school system. The state isn't known for that. When people think "oh I need only the best public schools for my kids, I'll move to a state that is known for that" - New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Connecticut are up there.

If you want your kids to grow up in the most diverse state, you'd probably pick somewhere like New York, Massachusetts, California, or Louisiana. If you want your kids to grow up near the beach - Florida and California are right up there as the top options. If you want the family to grow up in an area known for high tech opportunities, Arizona is a great option.

But public education? Nah. no one thinks "Florida is that place!".

Old 09-17-2023, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I'd never heard of a University of Central Florida (or those same words in a different order) til I moved to Florida. But I'm guessing most of you have never heard of Emerson College, or SCSU unless you're a womens' college basketball fan.

"The largest" University would never show up on my radar, because I don't care about the "largest" when it comes to education.

Regardless, you don't have to move your entire family to Florida, in order to put your kids through college in Florida. When families come to Florida, it's not because of the public elementary school system. The state isn't known for that. When people think "oh I need only the best public schools for my kids, I'll move to a state that is known for that" - New Jersey, Massachusetts, and Connecticut are up there.

If you want your kids to grow up in the most diverse state, you'd probably pick somewhere like New York, Massachusetts, California, or Louisiana. If you want your kids to grow up near the beach - Florida and California are right up there as the top options. If you want the family to grow up in an area known for high tech opportunities, Arizona is a great option.

But public education? Nah. no one thinks "Florida is that place!".
Well .... they would be wrong.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-sta...ings/education

Times have changed and the education system is improving every year. Facts are fact... maybe they're just incapable of acknowledging what y'all refuse to believe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida