Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2023, 04:39 PM

18,435 posts, read 8,268,923 times

Advertisements

Florida's SunShine laws make it a Florida-specific phenomenon

Why is 'Florida Man' a thing, when 'Pennsylvania Man' (or Iowa Man or Ohio Man) isn't?

"Florida has one of the most robust public records laws in the nation. Documents, photos, even videos created by a public agency are readily available — with some notable exceptions (and here I'm thinking of the video of New England Patriots' owner Robert Kraft in that massage parlor)."

"Police agencies routinely make all this available to the media. I was added to the distribution list for one local police agency without even asking to be; now I get daily arrest reports via email."

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion...ng/3266020002/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2023, 07:34 AM

3,433 posts, read 2,403,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
Florida's SunShine laws make it a Florida-specific phenomenon

Why is 'Florida Man' a thing, when 'Pennsylvania Man' (or Iowa Man or Ohio Man) isn't?

"Florida has one of the most robust public records laws in the nation. Documents, photos, even videos created by a public agency are readily available — with some notable exceptions (and here I'm thinking of the video of New England Patriots' owner Robert Kraft in that massage parlor)."

"Police agencies routinely make all this available to the media. I was added to the distribution list for one local police agency without even asking to be; now I get daily arrest reports via email."

https://www.tcpalm.com/story/opinion...ng/3266020002/
Florida doesn't allow the use of police scanners. The state enacted the Sunshine laws as a way of feeding information to the media. Strict government control.

Other states allow police scanners, and don't need Sunshine laws to find out information on who is being arrested for what, because that information is available to anyone, without having to ask.

The Freedom of Information Act covers everything that the Sunshine Law covers, plus everything that police scanners don't provide. Sunshine Law is just a public relations stunt to push the "Florida is free" rhetoric. Florida is no more free than any other state, and has its own set of legislated restrictions that take away "freedoms" - just like all states have their own set of legislated restrictions.

It's basically FloridaMan wanting everyone to know what a Special Snowflake he is, and dares to do things differently (resulting in embarassment, when everyone realizes that there's not much different at all). The emporor with no clothes on. That's FloridaMan. FloridaMan represents the mentality of the state as a whole, in the form of a caricature of a singular person.

Of course - FloridaMan doesn't recognize himself in the mirror, and that's part of the joke.

Old 09-16-2023, 08:28 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,804,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
Florida doesn't allow the use of police scanners. The state enacted the Sunshine laws as a way of feeding information to the media. Strict government control.

Other states allow police scanners, and don't need Sunshine laws to find out information on who is being arrested for what, because that information is available to anyone, without having to ask.

The Freedom of Information Act covers everything that the Sunshine Law covers, plus everything that police scanners don't provide. Sunshine Law is just a public relations stunt to push the "Florida is free" rhetoric. Florida is no more free than any other state, and has its own set of legislated restrictions that take away "freedoms" - just like all states have their own set of legislated restrictions.

It's basically FloridaMan wanting everyone to know what a Special Snowflake he is, and dares to do things differently (resulting in embarassment, when everyone realizes that there's not much different at all). The emporor with no clothes on. That's FloridaMan. FloridaMan represents the mentality of the state as a whole, in the form of a caricature of a singular person.

Of course - FloridaMan doesn't recognize himself in the mirror, and that's part of the joke.
Again... making stuff up to affirm a false narrative.

Sunshine laws actually started in 1905 and over the years has been enhanced. The reason for such laws is clear... the Florida Sunshine Law is a series of laws designed to guarantee that the public has access to the public records of governmental bodies in Florida. These laws are not unique to Florida. "The first sunshine laws were enacted by the state of Utah in 1898, followed closely by sunshine laws enacted in Florida in 1905, with all the other states in the United States gradually adopting sunshine laws in the 1960s and 1970s".

Police scanners can not be operated while operating a vehicle, but they are legal. NY has the same restrictions. Go figure.

Florida has the Floridaman, NY has the toothless crack heads.

Florida has the cajones to be free and open that flies in the face of liberal policies of smoke-n-mirrors and lies perpetuated by liberal sanctuary states. In Florida if you break the law, you go to jail. In NY if you break the law your the victim.

Old 09-16-2023, 09:13 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
To answer this thread’s title question, I would guess that Public education is not valued in Florida, hence the preponderance of knuckle-dragging hillbillies. (Inbreeding may play a part, as well.)

Old 09-16-2023, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
To answer this thread’s title question, I would guess that Public education is not valued in Florida, hence the preponderance of knuckle-dragging hillbillies. (Inbreeding may play a part, as well.)
Florida educational system is ranked #3 in the nation. 1st in higher education and 16th for primary, not to mention school choice is encouraged. Dollars go/follow with the student.

There are no 'hillbillies' in Florida... we're crackers or guajiros. We're quite happy about our way of life.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1787701/

Old 09-16-2023, 02:39 PM

835 posts, read 476,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
Florida educational system is ranked #3 in the nation. 1st in higher education and 16th for primary, not to mention school choice is encouraged. Dollars go/follow with the student.

There are no 'hillbillies' in Florida... we're crackers or guajiros. We're quite happy about our way of life.

Speak only for yourself.

Old 09-16-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryKnight1 View Post
Speak only for yourself.
I speak for myself and those like myself. Those folks in the video are real. Do you remember what Curley said in city slickers?

Old 09-16-2023, 02:50 PM

Quote:
hence the preponderance of knuckle-dragging hillbillies.
The origin of this American nickname for mountain folk in the Ozarks and in Appalachia comes from Ulster. Ulster-Scottish settlers in the hill-country of Appalachia in 1690. Supporters of King William were known as “Orangemen” and "Billy Boys" and their North American counterparts were soon referred to as "hill-billies"

Another Ulster-Scot term, a "cracker" was a person who talked and boasted, and "craic" is a term still used in Scotland and Ireland to describe "talking", chat or conversation in a social sense. The term, first used to describe a southerner of Ulster-Scottish background, later became a nickname for any white southerner.
And while not an exclusively Southern term, but rather referring in general to all Americans.

we are crackers.....not hillbillies

Old 09-16-2023, 02:52 PM

Quote:
since only 1/3 of the population of Florida consists of native Floridians....you're probably thinking of someone from your own neighborhood

Old 09-16-2023, 03:13 PM

1,041 posts, read 567,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post

Good for you.

I always wonder about this “FL education is ranking top xyz in the country” narrative. I just don’t see it, because if it were true it would have attracted more high-income, high-education professionals and companies. Instead you have the type that’s easily falling into the memes, bar jokes, punchlines, “Florida men”, people who brag about the state being the hub for overseas shell companies and money laundering….etc. I am perfectly aware of Sunshine Law, but come on, you do provide so much more inventory and the variety because of the low skill, low wage, “hangin’ on the beach” sort of slacker culture did not help the case.

Which is why I don’t buy the Florida education being so highly ranked narrative. High, good quality education & slacker drinking and partying beach culture are kind of on the opposite of image spectrum.

I come from an irritatingly high number of the Tracy Flick type of overachiever family, I’ve never heard of Central Florida University or Florida State University until I moved to FL. I’m sure these large state-level universities produced many great, accomplished people (a friend’s daughter just got accepted to UCF in Orlando and she was a good student.) but I just don’t associate FL with “great education”. I don’t think many families moved to FL because of the excellent reputation of school districts here. No income tax, preferred political climate, beautiful beach and sunny weather and plethora of water-related amenities? Yes. Education and excellent pay? I don’t think so.

In fact as an attractive city as Miami is, it would have been elevated to a much higher ranked “world class” city (instead of attracting more the shady, Mafia, regional boastful less-than-refined rich people from South America. No offense to the good people in South America.) had the city been cultivating and establishing a higher education globally-targeted institute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida