Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2023, 06:57 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,193,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
I think a lot of it has to to with the "get ready for winter" thinking. Prep and stock food by whatever means. Cut plenty of extra firewood if you use it, etc. General attitude of thinking ahead. Less necessary in hotter climates with milder winters.
The video creator (your post 77) with the concept you describe overlooks a spurious connection he claims he couldn’t find between the prosperity of those in the cold climates vs those living in hot.

The white race with their culture is more likely to inhabit for a very long time the cold climates ..

Here, solved it. Politically incorrect? Sure.. Realistic? That’s for sure too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2023, 06:59 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
...or they just don't learn how to live in Florida.....they want to live in Florida exactly like they lived up north...but without ice and snow

don't develop Florida hobbies and interests....and have no idea what they are
and yet is so obvious.

Sorry we don't have mountains to ski on...but we water ski. In fact we build water ski communities. Here one a few miles from the farm they're building.

https://www.pentalago.com/

Old 08-05-2023, 07:33 AM

12,430 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Here's a good "Florida Man" story - a Florida man, driving a stolen Ford Mustang, crashed into a stolen Ford Super Duty pickup truck piloted by a second Florida man. The Mustang hit the pickup so hard that the truck was thrown onto the roof of a nearby house before it rolled off into the yard. The Mustang then caught fire and burned. Just another pleasant Sunday morning in Florida-land (j/k).

https://fordauthority.com/2023/07/st...d-f-250-video/

Old 08-05-2023, 05:08 PM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times
or Florida child > ”suspects in this case were juveniles ”

Old 08-06-2023, 03:06 PM

A Florida man, Charles Gregory, was rescued by the US Coast Guard. Gregory was 12 miles offshore in a small, swamped jon boat at the time! He also had no PFD, naturally.
Fortunately for him, the boat had foam under the seats, and the seas, while rough enough to swamp the little boat, allowed him to hang on - the target use case for that boat is small-ish lakes, and he's got it in the ocean, and 12 miles offshore . It's not like this is even a borderline case of bad judgement, what an amazing idiot, he has no idea how lucky he is to be alive.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/n...t/70536310007/

Old 08-06-2023, 03:10 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
A Florida man, Charles Gregory, was rescued by the US Coast Guard. Gregory was 12 miles offshore in a small, swamped jon boat at the time! He also had no PFD, and fortunately for him, the boat had foam under the seats, and the seas, while rough enough to swamp the little boat, allowed him to hang on - the target use case for that boat is small-ish lakes, and he's got it in the ocean, and 12 miles offshore . It's not like this is even a borderline case of bad judgement, what an amazing idiot, he has no idea how lucky he is to be alive.

https://www.jacksonville.com/story/n...t/70536310007/
I took a 24ft Mako 85 miles offshore to some of my places in May of 1989. It was fine until a land breeze started puffing at mid nite and it got to 10ft. 7 hour ride right in it back home.

Old 08-06-2023, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I took a 24ft Mako 85 miles offshore to some of my places in May of 1989. It was fine until a land breeze started puffing at mid nite and it got to 10ft. 7 hour ride right in it back home.
Yes, but you and I both know that while there were risks there, a 24-foot Mako is in an entirely different class than a 12-foot jon boat. That's why you weren't found by Coast Guard planes, you made it back on your own.

FWIW, Gregory reported that he saw sharks circling his boat numerous times... and if it were any rougher, he would have been sharing the water with them, instead of lying in his swamped boat.

Old 08-06-2023, 03:18 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:
Yes, but you and I both know that while there were risks there, a 24-foot Mako is in an entirely different class than a 12-foot jon boat. That's why you weren't found by Coast Guard planes, you made it back on your own.

FWIW, Gregory reported that he saw sharks circling his boat numerous times... and if it were any rougher, he would have been sharing the water with them, instead of lying in his swamped boat.
I will never take a boat that small that far again. 10ft seas in that boat is not fun.

Old 08-06-2023, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
I will never take a boat that small that far again. 10ft seas in that boat is not fun.
It's not something I would do - I am sure it was pretty scary and physically difficult too. You're a lonnnng ways out there and you can't go fast to get to safety quickly... you're not really in control of the situation anymore, and you're just dealing with it the best you can and hoping it doesn't get any worse I imagine...

I used to have a 19-footer with a closed transom and thigh-high gunwales, but the water up here is really cold, and if your boating trip becomes a swimming trip, even if you don't drown and the sharks don't get you, you'll die of hypothermia before long. I'd go out to some islands about 8 miles offshore on good days and felt fine with that, but that was it for me. I had no desire to roll the dice with the ocean.

Old 08-06-2023, 05:15 PM

18,448 posts, read 8,275,501 times
Quote:
A Florida man, Charles Gregory, was rescued by the US Coast Guard.
he looks 20ish.....at noon the wind picked up to 20mph....that's what swamped him

...then the wind out of the west blew him off shore the rest of the day and all night

he wasn't 12 miles out when he capsized
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida