Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2022, 03:54 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,335,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
I don't notice that at all. Most valet drivers rely on tips. Maybe they seem angry and bitter *to you* because *you* don't tip them appropriately? I mean, if you can afford to notice this first-hand, then you're one of those "upscale" customers with a lifestyle that permits you to tip generously. If you don't, then you might find that your paid servants are a little grumpy with you, personally.

I've noticed a few folks at Burger King being especially horrible, but I blame their management for not properly vetting their applicants. They're getting paid $10/hour now to shove some fries in a box and send it to the drive-through window with a smile and a thank you. If they can't manage that, then they shouldn't be working at all.

On the other hand, the folks at McDonalds' tend to be pretty cheerful most of the time. They're getting the same pay as the folks at Burger King. So I credit the management for doing a good job at finding decent applicants.
Reminds me of the CEO of CBS, Viacom a couple years ago that Limbaugh was talking about on his show once because TMZ did a story on it. He pulled up in a Lambo, or Ferrari out in LA. he didn't tip the valet because he said he only had 100s and 50s on him and said something like "I'll get you next time." and got no tip! I believe the guy made something like 30 million a year. Limbaugh said he usually tips a couple hundred in a situation like that and really laid into him about it.

Some rich people are super cheap when it comes to spending money and tipping. I mean, horrible tippers, trying to talk someone down in price to the point of insulting and such. Drive a 300k car but can't tip the valet???

You hear about famous people and sports players giving insulting tips as well. I mean less than what a typical person tips.

There was a story I read about Wayne Gretezky and Michael Jordan in Vegas one time and Jordan was giving an insulting tip and Wayne corrected him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2022, 05:13 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
North FL is a different animal though than Orlando on South. Don't have many from places like the NE that is fast paced.
True but the same can be said about places like Lakeland, Okeechobee, and Avon Park all which are not in North Florida. Northeast Florida has gotten more buzz lately, but I don't feel like people are more intimidating in Jacksonville compared to other cities. People from Atlanta find North Florida nice and slow paced. St Augustine has become more popular among northerners but it still keeps that small-town vibe.

Old 02-12-2022, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
True but the same can be said about places like Lakeland, Okeechobee, and Avon Park all which are not in North Florida. Northeast Florida has gotten more buzz lately, but I don't feel like people are more intimidating in Jacksonville compared to other cities. People from Atlanta find North Florida nice and slow paced. St Augustine has become more popular among northerners but it still keeps that small-town vibe.
Also note Northeast FL doesn't get as cold as Northwest FL!! The Altantic ridge is at play there. They get a lot warmer weather in the winter while Pensacola is several degrees colder.

Old 02-13-2022, 06:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
I'm being very serious here... I have lived in Florida almost my whole life. And various parts of Florida (never any further north than Ocala/not in the pan handle and as far south as Englewood). Florida seems to have a lot of narcissistic, angry people, wishy washy people. I love Florida because it's my home state... and I was born here. But another part of me really dislikes Florida because well tbh...

The people kind of suck. Honestly (as far as I can remember at this moment) I'd say almost every person whom I've known on more than just an acquaintance level, has either moved back to their home state or have kind of turned into a "Florida man/woman" type character -- has gotten into drugs/drinking/arrests/life seems to unstable.

I have gotten out of this sort of crowd (and I'm not married which most people my age are so I'm not in the "parent"/family crowd either). Never been arrested but did hang around this stuff/"scene" when I was younger. Nowadays I have no social life to be honest. I just work, come home, read, play a couple different instruments, and repeat the next day. Feels like ground hogs day to be honest. I don't know if that's just adult life and I've never really grown up... or if it's just Florida, man.

I've been to a few other states but I was just on vacation/visiting and the one thing I noticed is... people drive better, I don't recall ever hearing any blaring sound systems in traffic, and random people seem to talk to you like they kind of know you (I'm undecided if this is a good thing or not lol). As in they're not in "defense" mode.
I would suggest that you visit other state forums here on City Data. Perhaps you would find a more comfortable life elsewhere. I moved down to the Miami area immediately after college. I grew up in the Midwest. I ended up having an interesting career in Miami-Dade, but what a culture shock the longer I stayed in south Florida. I was used to friendly, welcoming, helpful people like those in the Midwest.

After 43 years in Miami Dade, I returned to my hometown in Indiana (Lafayette/West Lafayette) over five years ago. There is so much to do here: hiking, attending festivals, wonderful farmers markets (in season), eating out (the area has over 400 restaurants) and just chilling with friends. Good, patient drivers here, a lower cost of living and good paying jobs. A wonderful university adds another dimension to the area - diversity, cultural and sports events.

Think about a life change, move out of Florida. I suggest a medium sized town. Visit and spend some time in various parts of the country. Good luck to you! You deserve happiness.

Old 02-13-2022, 08:31 AM

200 posts, read 156,944 times
glad you're gone back! good for you

Old 02-13-2022, 08:43 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
Reminds me of the CEO of CBS, Viacom a couple years ago that Limbaugh was talking about on his show once because TMZ did a story on it. He pulled up in a Lambo, or Ferrari out in LA. he didn't tip the valet because he said he only had 100s and 50s on him and said something like "I'll get you next time." and got no tip! I believe the guy made something like 30 million a year. Limbaugh said he usually tips a couple hundred in a situation like that and really laid into him about it.

Some rich people are super cheap when it comes to spending money and tipping. I mean, horrible tippers, trying to talk someone down in price to the point of insulting and such. Drive a 300k car but can't tip the valet???

You hear about famous people and sports players giving insulting tips as well. I mean less than what a typical person tips.

There was a story I read about Wayne Gretezky and Michael Jordan in Vegas one time and Jordan was giving an insulting tip and Wayne corrected him.
Scottie Pippen lived in Fort Lauderdale for years in a 10mm house.

His nickname around town was: No tippin Pippen!

When Tiger lived near Orlando he was a notoriously cheap/non tipper, likely that behavior hasn't changed but since he is dating a former restaurant manager hopefully she has shown him the proper etiquette (or atleast handle the tip for him).

Old 02-13-2022, 08:47 AM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
Florida is the fantasyland for the rest of the country.........

Cheap living, summer weather year round, flashy lifestyles, etc.

Then they get here and realize all their problems came with them, they have no support network/friends/family. So you can't hack it in Hackensack and you are moving to Flariduh. Now you are paying crazy rent for a crappy apartment nowhere near the beach like you dreamed, you are working 2 jobs, everything sucks, your friends come down once a year to visit and you don't even have time to hang out with them because your beat tired and broke!

I've posted this video countless times, it is reality:

We want to move to Florida where it is warm and sunny all the time.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad5paRXNWVg

Old 02-13-2022, 08:03 PM

8,067 posts, read 4,741,997 times
Like the saying goes, "If you smell [poop] everywhere you go, maybe you should check your shoe."

Old 02-14-2022, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Then they get here and realize all their problems came with them, they have no support network/friends/family. So you can't hack it in Hackensack and you are moving to Flariduh. Now you are paying crazy rent for a crappy apartment nowhere near the beach like you dreamed, you are working 2 jobs, everything sucks, your friends come down once a year to visit and you don't even have time to hang out with them because your beat tired and broke!

I think one of the things you see is the fake it till you make it. I mean people buying luxury cars, expensive clothes, meals etc but many of them are in big time debt.

Why do you think you see so many repo luxury and sports cars for?

I think a major factor is the media and I mentioned it to others before. It seems the show "Miami Vice" made South Florida popular in the 1980s and led to people moving there because they saw on TV how exciting Miami looks. That's when growth really took off.

There are many other places to move to. Northwest FL is cheaper if you can tolerate not walking on the beach much in Jan unless you enjoy the cold wind blowing at you. Also, you have places like Southern Missouri that has a mild climate and lakes, TN, AR, etc. 4 seasons but nothing extreme and are much much more conservative than FL. I'm from Missouri and that state is overall much much more conservative and cheaper. If you need warmer weather you have places like Houston, Texas near the Gulf. With Houston you're also getting much much better paying jobs as well, more culture and more things to do. Texas has a more diverse economy and earnings potential than FL.

Old 02-14-2022, 04:16 AM

1,094 posts, read 807,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post

Reminds of a forum I posted about Are You Unhappy With Florida Or You Just Unhappy
https://www.city-data.com/forum/flor...t-unhappy.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida