Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 09:15 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,130,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desiigner View Post
Extreme heat and lack of education of many residents, particularly in north and rural central FL

It’s getting better with the northern transplants coming in with more money and education
Geez, according to the observations of this long time Florida resident ( proud owner of a well earned MS in Medical Microbiology) it's going downhill with the masses of northern transplants invading Florida. More educated? I'd question that, seems many confuse education with just fancying they are superior to the folks who have lived in Florida for a long time, and way better than those who were born here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2023, 10:06 AM

571 posts, read 275,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Geez, according to the observations of this long time Florida resident ( proud owner of a well earned MS in Medical Microbiology) it's going downhill with the masses of northern transplants invading Florida. More educated? I'd question that, seems many confuse education with just fancying they are superior to the folks who have lived in Florida for a long time, and way better than those who were born here.
Southern Florida has some decent education and public schools, but northern Florida is a whole different ball game. It might as well be Appalachia with the level of rural poverty. It’s Appalachia without any mountains.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:06 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
My cohort has *never* thought of Florida as a prestigious state. Hot sweaty buggy sewer redneck disaster-prone low-education swamp-rot. There it is in a nutshell.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:12 AM

4,475 posts, read 3,843,568 times
Maybe it's the poop in the beaches? 97% of the entire state's beaches are full of poop LOL!!!!!!!! And the Gulf Coast is the worst offender!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...els-FECES.html

Old 07-10-2023, 11:23 AM

17,142 posts, read 15,350,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Maybe it's the poop in the beaches? 97% of the entire state's beaches are full of poop LOL!!!!!!!! And the Gulf Coast is the worst offender!

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...els-FECES.html
Looks to be about average compared to other beaches/coastlines in the country. Significantly better than the Pacific coast and Lake Erie and Lake Ontario.

The article also seems to indicate that the large sargassum bloom that has been approaching our shores is caused by sewage spills, which is absolutely not the case. It's a natural occurrence at sea, and provides habitat and food for marine life. It [naturally] dies when it comes to shore. And so far, it's shrunk by over 75% before it's even reached the shore.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/07/07/u...shrinking.html

Last edited by Arcenal813; 07-10-2023 at 11:39 AM..

Old 07-10-2023, 11:32 AM

18,429 posts, read 8,258,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Maybe it's the poop in the beaches? 97% of the entire state's beaches are full of poop LOL!!!!!!!!
read the article 2 times....I couldn't find anything that said "97% of the entire state's beaches"

what I did find>"Southern states along the Gulf Coast — including Florida, Texas and Louisiana — were the worst affected, with 84 percent of their beaches having at least one day in 2022 when the water was contaminated with feces. "...that's not just Florida

but looking at their map.....the vast majority of Florida beaches had less than 25% of it's days unsafe

Old 07-10-2023, 11:36 AM

571 posts, read 275,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
From a Florida newspaper

https://www.tampabay.com/opinion/202...outputType=amp

Old 07-10-2023, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrie22 View Post
read the article 2 times....I couldn't find anything that said "97% of the entire state's beaches"

what I did find>"Southern states along the Gulf Coast — including Florida, Texas and Louisiana — were the worst affected, with 84 percent of their beaches having at least one day in 2022 when the water was contaminated with feces. "...that's not just Florida

but looking at their map.....the vast majority of Florida beaches had less than 25% of it's days unsafe
Looks to me as though this poster makes up his/her own stats.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Notice the graphic comes from newspaper opinion piece. I'd have to look at the original study to be anything other than skeptical about what's presented. And see how old it is.

Old 07-10-2023, 11:51 AM

5,014 posts, read 7,220,428 times
Quote:

From the same Florida newspaper.

https://www.tampabay.com/news/2023/0...-ranking-no-1/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida