Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2023, 03:47 AM

496 posts, read 520,977 times

Advertisements

It's a sunny place for shady people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 03:46 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,456,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firmbizzle View Post
It's a sunny place for shady people.
Unfortunately this

Old 07-16-2023, 02:16 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpat5 View Post
I'm being very serious here... I have lived in Florida almost my whole life. And various parts of Florida (never any further north than Ocala/not in the pan handle and as far south as Englewood). Florida seems to have a lot of narcissistic, angry people, wishy washy people. I love Florida because it's my home state... and I was born here. But another part of me really dislikes Florida because well tbh...

The people kind of suck. Honestly (as far as I can remember at this moment) I'd say almost every person whom I've known on more than just an acquaintance level, has either moved back to their home state or have kind of turned into a "Florida man/woman" type character -- has gotten into drugs/drinking/arrests/life seems to unstable.

I have gotten out of this sort of crowd (and I'm not married which most people my age are so I'm not in the "parent"/family crowd either). Never been arrested but did hang around this stuff/"scene" when I was younger. Nowadays I have no social life to be honest. I just work, come home, read, play a couple different instruments, and repeat the next day. Feels like ground hogs day to be honest. I don't know if that's just adult life and I've never really grown up... or if it's just Florida, man.

I've been to a few other states but I was just on vacation/visiting and the one thing I noticed is... people drive better, I don't recall ever hearing any blaring sound systems in traffic, and random people seem to talk to you like they kind of know you (I'm undecided if this is a good thing or not lol). As in they're not in "defense" mode.
My theory is, the lack of weather that restricts what you can do has the effect of getting people used to the idea that they can do anything they want, any time they want. So, they lose their inhibitions over time.

Let's face it: having to deal with cold and snowy weather for part of the year forces you into exercising a certain amount of discipline and self-restraint. Once you get used to the idea that your activities are restricted part of the year, you get used to the idea that you can't always do anything you want, any time you want.

This video explains the concept of why nations with cold weather part of the year tend to have better economies than tropical nations.

Old 07-16-2023, 02:28 PM

1,054 posts, read 575,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

Let's face it: having to deal with cold and snowy weather for part of the year forces you into exercising a certain amount of discipline and self-restraint. Once you get used to the idea that your activities are restricted part of the year, you get used to the idea that you can't always do anything you want, any time you want.

This video explains the concept of why nations with cold weather part of the year tend to have better economies than tropical nations.

Ha. My Dad has been saying very similar things since my childhood. He explained that’s the whole concept behind the idea of “siesta”. When it’s so hot your body tends to get into the coma mode as a coping mechanism.

It’s hard to have self-discipline when you are forever in the vacation/“living in the paradise” mode.

Old 07-16-2023, 02:39 PM

If my theory (and your data's theory) is right, over time, no matter how many rich northerners move to Florida, Florida will gradually start to lag the states with colder climates. The northerners who recently moved there to escape the cold weather will gradually become lazier and less self-disciplined over time, and Florida will increasingly slide behind other states in most measures of economic and social well-being.

The same will also be true of Arizona, California (at least SoCal) and most sunbelt states.

In 100-200 years the upper Midwest will be the most prosperous part of the country.

Old 07-16-2023, 02:47 PM

This requires discipline.

This requires no discipline.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:06 PM

2,622 posts, read 3,152,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
My theory is, the lack of weather that restricts what you can do has the effect of getting people used to the idea that they can do anything they want, any time they want. So, they lose their inhibitions over time.

I think a lot of it has to to with the "get ready for winter" thinking. Prep and stock food by whatever means. Cut plenty of extra firewood if you use it, etc. General attitude of thinking ahead. Less necessary in hotter climates with milder winters.

Old 07-20-2023, 06:40 PM

6,430 posts, read 4,922,941 times
Must be all those NYers moving down/

Old 07-21-2023, 06:28 AM

18,469 posts, read 8,292,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundarr457 View Post
Must be all those NYers moving down/
exactly....way over 22 million people in Florida...and 10 of them are on the internet pizzing and moaning about it

Old 07-21-2023, 06:58 PM

24,409 posts, read 26,986,736 times
Well I can say one thing... you can spend just 1 hour walking the streets of San Francisco, Los Angeles or New York City and see what would be a month's worth of "Florida man" material.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida