Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2023, 09:44 AM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverct9a View Post
A Florida education has served myself, spouse, friends and friends of friends very well -We’re all 30 - 40 years old now and literally not one of us makes less than 100k/yr and the ones who are DINKs or even just married with dual incomes are absolutely crushing it. The key (just like anywhere else) is to secure IN DEMAND SKILLS and internships BEFORE leaving undergrad.

The ones bashing higher education in Florida have no clue and I say this as someone who also has a graduate education from a well known university in the Boston area.

The real threat and black eye to education in Florida are politicians like meatball Ron DeSantis and his sycophants in Tallahassee who are complicit in his BS and are actively destroying the state’s reputation.
BS. Ron DeSantis has done an excellent job rooting out the liberals in higher education. I'd rather lose a few good professors than crank out a bunch of liberal, brain washed young people.

And what kind of jobs paying 100k a year? Even many of the jobs in my area with a degree doesn't pay close to that. Miami, Orlando pays more but that 100k won't do much in cities like that.

If it was up to mean I would just totally shutdown New College. A liberal mecca and a outdated drain on the state. If you want far left liberals go to a private college then.

I'll keep voting for Republicans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2023, 01:16 PM

637 posts, read 408,610 times
It’s a good thing you don’t call the shots my friend. Based on your mini rant about colleges, and this isn’t an attack on you, but I assume you did not complete a bachelor’s degree or higher? There seems to be this pervasive notion amongst those on the right that higher education is some sort of indoctrination…makes me wonder how many of them actually attended college and if they did, did they spend more than two semesters there?

As far as what jobs pay more than 100k, plenty if you have the education (that word again) and skill set. Amongst my friends are Pharmacists (several in fact), Doctors, finance professionals, high levels sales professionals, Accountants (CPAs), Attorneys, and I myself am a Software Engineer…who’d ever thought liberal indoctrination would turn out so well??

I do live in Miami Metro, but many of my Pharmacists friends are indeed in the Tampa Bay Area.

Don’t let fear driven media narratives shape your thoughts too much. College is NOT a scam (provided you study in an in demand field, network, and do internships), and not every millennial is broke and struggling - I certainly am not nor numerous people with Florida educations I personally know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOforthewin View Post
BS. Ron DeSantis has done an excellent job rooting out the liberals in higher education. I'd rather lose a few good professors than crank out a bunch of liberal, brain washed young people.

And what kind of jobs paying 100k a year? Even many of the jobs in my area with a degree doesn't pay close to that. Miami, Orlando pays more but that 100k won't do much in cities like that.

If it was up to mean I would just totally shutdown New College. A liberal mecca and a outdated drain on the state. If you want far left liberals go to a private college then.

Last edited by silverct9a; 09-27-2023 at 01:31 PM..

Old 09-27-2023, 01:30 PM

3,833 posts, read 3,348,166 times
I have a bachelors degree, and I actually went to a private university that was leaning liberal as well, even more now.

You listed advanced degrees like Pharmacists, doctors, lawyers. A bulk of the population in this state and country are not lawyers or CPAs, MDs.

If everyone went to college to be a doctors, or pharmacists, accountant society wouldn't function, wouldn't have AC or plumbing repair businesses, etc.

Pharmacy is also not easy to break into. My cousin is a pharmacist, clinical research pharmacy is her line of work. She got out of pharmacy school a couple years ago and has had hell of a time finding a job in FL on the east coast. She did her residency at Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland OH as well. FInally got a job in a nursing home pharmacy filling pills for old folks but isn't the pay or position she wants.

I know a few years ago they said there was too many pharmacy students and not enough openings.

Old 09-27-2023, 03:39 PM

14,968 posts, read 9,824,933 times
Quote:

Absolutely true.

Old 09-27-2023, 04:11 PM

1,947 posts, read 3,326,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
I always thought people in FL were happy, friendly, and chill compared to Georgia. At least that was my impression in NE FL/JAX area.
I find it fine here. But, I am from NY where the people are authentically crazy outside of Penn Station or in Times Square and violently angry so I guess a few crazy Miami drivers not gonna bother me too much in comparison.

Old 09-27-2023, 04:21 PM

17,208 posts, read 15,428,659 times
Worth noting that most lawyers don't make all that much, as the industry is oversaturated with lawyers. A lot of them end up working for the DA doing bull**** office work, or end up in the public defender's office, etc.

That said, I'm an EE, a lot of my friends are engineers, Software developers/coders, and RNs. All in our 30s and 40s. We pretty much all make over $100k, just with the Bachelor's degree. Some with just an A.S. Those who don't are just under $100k, in the $90s. Of those who remain in Florida, we are in the Tampa Bay area, Orlando, Fort Lauderdale/Miami, Fort Pierce, and Jacksonville.

Old 09-27-2023, 04:33 PM

If your degree is liberal arts or just a generic bachelor's, it really isn't worth much on its own and that's the cold hard truth...It's also why I tell many people that if you're not studying STEM, or going into the healthcare field, don't go to college.

I work in the tech space and labor needs/requirements are rapidly changing and in fact they've already changed but private companies and the government don't really want you to know this yet as they're still searching for ways to mitigate the impact A.I. will have on the labor market.

If you don't believe this look to the writer's strike, and U.A.W. strike as precursors - A lot of this drama is due to A.I. and automation and the planned long term vision of replacing the internal combustion engine with EVs.

Now the good news...A degree is just an expensive piece of paper that signifies to employers you have basic competency, and can finish a long term goal. In other words, it doesn't define you and one can always pivot. Successful employment is a combination of experience, certification, and formal education in that order.

Last thing, if i recall correctly you're relatively young (under 45) and you were having problems finding suitable women in SWFL correct? Pasco or something right? Not exactly breaking news but if that's the case, what if I told you that your biggest barriers to high income employment and attractive women is simply your location...would you believe it? A move to a "blue" county is your answer my friend...it's where all the economic activity is.

Quote:
I have a bachelors degree, and I actually went to a private university that was leaning liberal as well, even more now You listed advanced degrees like Pharmacists, doctors, lawyers. A bulk of the population in this state and country are not lawyers or CPAs, MDs.

If everyone went to college to be a doctors, or pharmacists, accountant society wouldn't function, wouldn't have AC or plumbing repair businesses, etc.

Pharmacy is also not easy to break into. My cousin is a pharmacist, clinical research pharmacy is her line of work. She got out of pharmacy school a couple years ago and has had hell of a time finding a job in FL on the east coast. She did her residency at Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland OH as well. FInally got a job in a nursing home pharmacy filling pills for old folks but isn't the pay or position she wants.

I know a few years ago they said there was too many pharmacy students and not enough openings.

Old 09-27-2023, 05:52 PM

3,445 posts, read 2,420,258 times
silverct9a (and anyone else who disparages liberal arts):

If you put zero value in writing, investigative or forensic journalism, literature, "the arts" - creative thought, critical thinking, philosophy, theology, social sciences, all the things that provide "humanity" to the human race, then you are a very sad, sad person and I feel sorry for you. I feel horrible that you have been so hurt, so traumatized by your own existence that you can't fathom the concept of the beauty of life, the joy of literacy and other intangibles, and can't comprehend the notion that anyone else might appreciate these concepts.

Liberal arts is not "liberal thinking." If you think that, then you clearly missed out on the social sciences in High School. And education for its own sake is not lacking in value - unless you're a dictator or fascist who wants to keep the "little people" under their feet from crawling out and rising above.

Old 09-27-2023, 06:35 PM

I never once said that was a good thing or I agreed with it - Just merely a reality but of course hit dogs will holler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghaati View Post
silverct9a (and anyone else who disparages liberal arts):

Old 09-27-2023, 09:18 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,856,519 times
Quote:
BS. Ron DeSantis has done an excellent job rooting out the liberals in higher education. I'd rather lose a few good professors than crank out a bunch of liberal, brain washed young people..
It’s not just ‘the liberal’ professors who are leaving the state in droves; it’s the moderates an even the conservative ones who care about academic integrity.

And conservative academics are not flocking to the state either under DeSantis’ higher ed changes because it turns out that things like the lack of tenure/academic freedom and the high cost of living compared to faculty salaries are unattractive to educated conservatives too.

If you’re the parent of a high school student, what’s going on right now should be concerning because current disruptions in state higher ed are going ot make it even harder for students to get a bachelor’s degree in four years because of an inability to get the classes you need to complete your major.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida