Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 04:50 PM

2,331 posts, read 1,996,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
. . .
Several months later, I got another rescue dog. Major is a 2 year old Jack Russell. Distressingly energetic, destructive (loves shredding anything made from paper , wood, or plastic) -and scary smart. . .
Charlie;
JRT's are one of the MOST energetic breeds around. Right up there with Border Collies. They need work - and the right kind of work. You will find your life much easier if you can figure out a way to relieve those instinctual drives that a JRT naturally has. You'll need to do this most days of the year, depending on how strongly driven your dog is.

You are about to embark on a learning adventure, whether you wanted it or not. There is LOTS of stuff within a quick google search (try jack russell terrier blogs to start).

Here is a good page to get you started! And, I think you would do well to read the blog linked in my previous post, about behavior and genetics. JRT's have VERY strong genetic drives.

https://terriermandotcom.blogspot.co...ospective.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 10:44 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,508,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
Ok, all you regulars out there, here is a blogpost worth reading, re dog behavior and genetics. I had to share!

It’s Not “All In How You Raise Them”: The Role Of Genetics In Behavior – Dr. Jen's Dog Blog
That's a really good article. I see this every day myself. I got a beagle puppy at 10 weeks old and he started at a young age following rabbit tracks in the yard and not only smelling them but barking at each step they took around the yard. Btw, that is one of the things that they are judged on at field trials so it is pretty amazing to see this with no training whatsoever in tracking. Once a dog has natural ability for a task, they just need guidance from a trainer.

I mentioned the "Beagle Brigade" used at airports in a previous thread. The USDA uses beagles to sniff out food contraband in luggage. Interestingly, most of the beagles they get are from shelters. After just a few months of training they are ready to work. Regardless of background, these dogs just have the natural ability for the task. That is just one of many, many examples I can think of that prove the point in the article above. Instinct can't be trained. It's next to impossible to "untrain" natural traits too.

I am sure many who are aware of beagle behavior know their obsession with food. LOL I live with that (defeating to fight it at times!) as I know they can't help it due to their incredible sense of smell which drives their every behavior. I hate to see people who don't understand the instinct factor in dogs choose one (sometimes the wrong breed for their lifestyle) and get frustrated. They get a dog and then spend inordinate amounts of time fighting that dogs natural instincts just to make it the house pet they want. Not good for either one.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/15/us/be...rnd/index.html

Old 04-18-2019, 11:35 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,821,209 times
We are babysitting my MIL's 2 lb.... dog? Dog-ish creature. She looks like the dog equivalent to Bill the Cat. I'm really pleased that my 90 lb behemoths are being super tolerant of her. The only thing I am having to keep an eye on is she sometimes runs from Dante, which is triggering his prey drive a tad, but nothing aggressive.

She goes into a kennel when we are not present, and we feed them completely separately, but any other suggestions to ensure a continuing happy home for the next 20 days?
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-19-2019, 09:27 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,915,917 times
My "Dante & 2-poundish dog" are my newly inherited 2 yr old Rottweiler and my two house cats. One cat weighs seven pounds with a 70# attitude so there's trouble right there, lol. The other cat weighs at least 22 lbs and peacefully thinks the Rottenweiler means no harm when she grabs the fat cat by the neck ( thankfully no shaking).

Cat Food and water are in the back bedroom, plus cats get locked in the back bedroom when I'm not in the house -- even if I'm only at the barn for a short time.

My hope is the Rottweiler will soon grow up, mentally, lollol. She is whip smart but still mentally immature even though physically she is a big dog and nicely filled out; making it easy to forget she is still a pup in her brain, lol.

Sorry, I am no help at all -- I will be following along, in case someone comes in with some genius epiphany, or just keep hanging in there as 20 days will go fast .

Old 04-19-2019, 10:58 AM

Honestly, it is Steve that always concerned me the most, who rapidly is becoming the "good" dog.

He's a rescue, pit mix and an ex pig hunting dog. But gosh nothing phases him. Tazzie was stealing kibble from his bowl and he didn't even raise his head. Dante has become a tad pouty, but he keeps trying to give Taz his bone, which may literally, weight the same as Taz.

Not sure what Taz was thinking, but apparently last night Steve was making his way to DH on the couch and she charged him barking, all his hair went up and he went into big dog mode..... looked at her, hair went down and he continued on to DH.

I am pleasantly reassured (but watchful), I had concerns because when we move we are staying with my sis, who has 2 dogs and a cat. I was worried about the cat, but now not as much.

Old 04-22-2019, 12:09 PM

Ack. Last night Tazzie chewed out of her "crate" while we were out for a few hours.... no blood shed.

Old 04-24-2019, 08:17 AM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,066 times
I can't figure out this dog, and it's driving me nuts lol.
Every night, between the hours of about 8:00-10:00, is usually when he needs to go outside. So he'll give us the sign and we head to the back door, I get to the door and grab his chain to hook him up, and he freezes. He sits ears back looking away from me and I go back to what ever I was doing, and this will sometimes go on a 3-4 times. He has no problem when he's outside he does his business, and and will wander around in the back yard for a while checking things out. Sometimes he'll want to go outside just to a nap in the sun.

Old 04-24-2019, 10:12 PM

Dante was trying to play with Tazzie, and she jump up in the air and back and landed right on Steve's head.

He just calmly looked at me with his eyes huge, as if to say "what is happening around here?"

Old 04-25-2019, 10:41 AM

2,331 posts, read 1,996,578 times
If the link works, it is an excellent example of the power of genetics for a dog's FUNCTION. Really cute!
Little pointers!

Old 04-25-2019, 10:45 AM

OMG too cute.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs