Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2019, 04:46 PM

48,540 posts, read 34,891,275 times

Advertisements

I think that, like people, certain dogs like certain personalities better. Meh, can't say Dante doesn't have good taste - I think DH is pretty awesome too.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 08:33 AM

4,539 posts, read 3,760,739 times
It was Georgy’s first birthday yesterday.

Old 11-03-2019, 09:33 AM

Happy Birthday Georgy!!!

Ack. I've read how Rhodesian's are sensitive soles, so I always tried to keep that in mind raising Dante. It was pretty hard to believe because he acted fearless.

Currently he is having a "nervous breakdown." Between all the furniture disappearing, kids at the door for candy, zillions of people coming by..... he is obviously stressed. He is acting the same as when Cody passed away. Lying on his side, barely lifting his head and just looking around. Of course he does get up, but generally, he is acting wayyy depressed. I couldn't sleep one night and came down with him on the couch for a few hours and his breathing was shallow the whole time, instead of his normal deep breathing.

We are trying to take them out and do things as much as possible but it is clear he does not like change. The flight is going to mess him up.

We decided to get a hotel with the dogs for a couple days after the flight for them to calm down before taking them to my sister's and her dogs. I think they will just need quiet.

Old 11-04-2019, 04:01 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,002,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Happy Birthday Georgy!!!

Ack. I've read how Rhodesian's are sensitive soles, so I always tried to keep that in mind raising Dante. It was pretty hard to believe because he acted fearless.

Currently he is having a "nervous breakdown." Between all the furniture disappearing, kids at the door for candy, zillions of people coming by..... he is obviously stressed. He is acting the same as when Cody passed away. Lying on his side, barely lifting his head and just looking around. Of course he does get up, but generally, he is acting wayyy depressed. I couldn't sleep one night and came down with him on the couch for a few hours and his breathing was shallow the whole time, instead of his normal deep breathing.

We are trying to take them out and do things as much as possible but it is clear he does not like change. The flight is going to mess him up.

We decided to get a hotel with the dogs for a couple days after the flight for them to calm down before taking them to my sister's and her dogs. I think they will just need quiet.
I sure wish you luck with that flight. I have no helpful thoughts or hints at all. Last time I flew a dog cross country I gave the boy some tranquilizers - something the vet prescribed. They made him loopy and "drunk", and made things worse. He did survive tho.

I recently helped a neighbor put a dog on a flight. They were moving to central America - retiring. Getting him in the crate was pretty stressed.

The ONLY suggestion I would have is IF you use some sort of tranquilizer, try it first BEFORE the actual flight to see what affect it has. Sometimes the dog's response is not predictable.

But mostly, I'm just keeping my fingers crossed it all goes ok!

@jean ji: Happy Birthday, dear Georgie,

Happy Birthday to you!

He's beautiful.

Old 11-04-2019, 06:56 PM

Tranquilzers are no longer allowed due to respiratory problems, and I wouldn't risk that. Some other kind of "happy" pill I don't know, but will be asking my vet. And absolutely, will try it before the flight.

The beach time seemed to help, and he is outside hanging with dad cleaning the motorcycle.

Weird side note: Dante is pretty leash reactive when meeting other dogs. But hanging in the garage? Dogs go by all the time and he stays in the garage and doesn't run out. He watches, but doesn't spaz. Not sure how to translate this to the leash. Everyone comments on how well he behaves as they walk by.

Old 11-05-2019, 05:02 AM

1,664 posts, read 1,919,770 times
Happy Happy birthday Georgy, you handsome fella!

Mikala43,. I wish you the best on your move and a safe flight to everyone -- especially Dante.

I don't have any answers except to maybe try CBD?? Buy quality if you do from a Heath food or herbal store. I have no idea if a topical might calm Dante, or maybe an inhaler, or a pill?

I can empathize regarding Dante's mental state. I laid my Catahoula/Fox Terrier to rest this past March - my Catahoula/Pit Bull still has not completely recovered and he has the young Rottweiler to push him along.

He's now five years old - and becomes needier as he ages. His muzzle is already gray.

On a really great note - that young Rottweiler (2-1/2 years) has been here eleven months. She is finally-finally feeling like this is home and not a vacation while waiting for her human to return for her -- it's been a heartbreaker watching her accept us as the people who feed her "in the interim". Sunday, for the first time, her big tail had such happy & exuberant wag to it, that I thought she might put her back out. She always wags her tail but this was a knee-jerk ecstatic happy wag that I haven't seen before

She still doesn't have the sense of humor my other Rottweiler's had but she has loosened up a lot.

A recent foto looking like the regal Empress that she is

Dog Chat Thread-image.jpg

Old 12-01-2019, 07:59 AM

We have successfully combined 4 dogs over 70lbs into one household area around 1200 sq ft. During constant rain with a back yard that is all mud.... and cold....

My dogs have been traumatized since 2 weeks ago when the movers took all the furniture, put on a plane and brought to a household where other dogs rule the roost. Overall it has gone well. But again, Steve was underestimated and again, our fault, but no bites just lunged with a "back off".

Old 12-05-2019, 04:50 PM

Well, we have found an amazing dog park. Very active and all the parents are insanely nice (I'm waiting for them to ask me to join a cult or something), and very responsible. This morning there must have been over 30 dogs.

A couple of scuffles but just the dogs working stuff out.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:01 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Has anyone used breed specific Royal Canin dog food? It’s about 3x as expensive as Purina, but if it will be good for my dachshund I’ll buy it. He has some allergy issues, so I’ve been giving him grain free, but he still seems a bit itchy and I don’t like the looks of the fur on his tummy. It seems sparse, and his skin seems a bit flaky.

Old 12-06-2019, 05:04 AM

50,388 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jean_ji View Post
It was Georgy’s first birthday yesterday.
He’s beautiful. I love Springers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs