Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 12:13 PM

50,457 posts, read 64,308,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiero2 View Post
It won't make him sick, but it might give him diarrhea, just as watermelon can cause diarrhea in humans. Not a problem, just a single poop. Or splop, as the case may be.

It's something about the watery fruit that super-stimulates the digestive tract.
Two days ago, so I guess he’s going to be fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2019, 09:24 AM

32,732 posts, read 48,355,590 times
My son bought a brand new meat grinder, so we tested it out. 150 pounds of top round, on sale $2.40 a pound.

The grinder works so fast, I couldn't keep up and my son had to stop grinding occasionally so I could bag the ground beef. Not only is the grinder faster, the feed tube is a lot bigger, which saves a lot of time on the cutting the meat into strips because the strips don't have to be cut so small.

So, 135 pounds of ground meat, ready to be cooked into dog food and about 15 pounds of burger for people because one of the chunks had some nice marbling and smelled pretty good. Mostly, the sale meat smells pretty green, but the dogs don't care about that.

Pork was up to $1.80 a pound and pork shrinks so much, it is more economical to pay the $2.40 for beef.

I bought bags of frozen carrots and frozen green beans and those got fed through the grinder and mixed in with the meat, so I have bags of frozen meat with veggies already added, all ready to cook.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:58 PM

2,333 posts, read 2,019,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
My son bought a brand new meat grinder, so we tested it out. 150 pounds of top round, on sale $2.40 a pound.

The grinder works so fast, I couldn't keep up and my son had to stop grinding occasionally so I could bag the ground beef. Not only is the grinder faster, the feed tube is a lot bigger, which saves a lot of time on the cutting the meat into strips because the strips don't have to be cut so small.

So, 135 pounds of ground meat, ready to be cooked into dog food and about 15 pounds of burger for people because one of the chunks had some nice marbling and smelled pretty good. Mostly, the sale meat smells pretty green, but the dogs don't care about that.

Pork was up to $1.80 a pound and pork shrinks so much, it is more economical to pay the $2.40 for beef.

I bought bags of frozen carrots and frozen green beans and those got fed through the grinder and mixed in with the meat, so I have bags of frozen meat with veggies already added, all ready to cook.

Awesome!

Old 06-25-2019, 07:29 PM

48,610 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Last night we had a huge thunder and lightening storm that was literally shaking the house. Came down to check on the dogs and stayed with them on the couch for a couple hours, wanted to get something upstairs and they both followed (never happens, they are not allowed), and everyone into the bed! Not the best night's sleep.

Supposed to be more storms tonight, and I will remember to claim my part of the bed FIRST.

It was weird, the only thing that would stop Steve shaking was for me to lie on him. Not comfortable.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 07-05-2019, 08:59 AM

50,457 posts, read 64,308,089 times
Fortunately, our dachshund, Donovan, does not seem bothered by thunder. He doesn’t like the military jets that occasionally go over.

Today, my friend is going to choose her Bernedoodle puppy! She will bring him home at the end of August. It’s like awaiting a new baby in the house. They are 68 and 70, so this will be the last baby for them.

We’re the same age, but we switched to older dogs awhile ago.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM

48,610 posts, read 35,070,562 times
Some how kale from our garden has become THE high value treat for Dante. Go outside, he pokes it with his nose and looks at you. Pull a leaf off and he acts like it is a chicken neck or something.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 09-21-2019, 06:59 PM

5,655 posts, read 6,250,422 times
Our Rufus has pteronarcophobia - a fear of flies. Anybody else have a pup like this? Luckily it isn't a big deal since we rarely get them in the house and they don't seem to bother him outside. But we have one in the living room tonight (still working on getting it) and he won't even come out of the bedroom as a result. Typically he is within a few feet of us at all times when we're in the house.I feeel bad for him, but it's also so weird. We got him as a stray so I suppose it could be based on some experience he had before he came to us. Anybody have a dog with someh=thing like this?

Old 09-22-2019, 09:20 AM

2,333 posts, read 2,019,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
Our Rufus has pteronarcophobia - a fear of flies. Anybody else have a pup like this? Luckily it isn't a big deal since we rarely get them in the house and they don't seem to bother him outside. But we have one in the living room tonight (still working on getting it) and he won't even come out of the bedroom as a result. Typically he is within a few feet of us at all times when we're in the house.I feeel bad for him, but it's also so weird. We got him as a stray so I suppose it could be based on some experience he had before he came to us. Anybody have a dog with someh=thing like this?

I've seen that sort of thing happen. The flies can bite, and dogs have a hard time dealing with the flies. Some dogs react by trying to hide from the flies. Personally, I think dogs find flies more obnoxious than I do. Might be because I find it easier to grab a flyswatter, but who knows!

Old 09-26-2019, 03:17 AM

4,549 posts, read 3,783,572 times
Georgy was stung by a wasp the other day. She was snuffling along in the grass and I noticed the swelling later. The swelling resolved in a few hours with no other symptoms.
The very definition of woebegone:

Attachment 214936

Last edited by jean_ji; 05-13-2020 at 07:05 AM..

Old 10-02-2019, 04:21 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,453,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post

My little chihuahua/schipperke mix was terrified of what I call “superflies”, because they’re huge, buzz really loudly, and you practically have to beat them with a baseball bat to kill them. Also, they fly around crazily after dark. She would hide under the bed when she heard them. So, I would pursue them until I was finally able to whack them to death. Then I would have to tell her “It’s OK, I got it, you can come out now.” And she would. Otherwise, she wasn’t afraid of anything, including bears. She was friends with a Appaloosa horse who could have easily kicked her head in. That horse was feisty but loved my dog.

I lost her 2 years ago to CHF and I’m still not over it, but I can laugh and cry when I remember my 3:00 a.m. superfly hunts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs